Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit card fraud- problems getting transactions refunded

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2003, 01:05 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a credit card from a well know credit card company in the UK. I have had the card for many years and have never had any problems. I know about card security and have never let it out of my hands or given the details to a non-repurtable website etc.

A couple of months ago I noticed a strange transaction on my statement for a website that I have never used. I reported it at once and found another one had gone through that very morning. The card was cancelled there and then and they issued a new card a week or so later.

I have filled in all the forms etc. for the fraud department (sent them recorded delivery) and two weeks ago was told the transactions had been refunded. When I looked they hadn't, but I left it a few days in case it was winding it's way through the system. Now after several phone calls they still haven't been refunded and I now have to speak to the fraud department directly as Customer Service say they can do nothing more.

Her parting words were 'I hope you get the result you want'. What's that supposed to mean? Has anyone else experienced problems getting transactions refunded?

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 22 November 2003, 02:14 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

I suppose it depends on what company it is.

A few years ago I signed up with an ISP the went t*ts up about 3 weeks into the 3 month contract.

I'd paid my 3 months with Egg and complained to them that I hadn't fully received the service I paid for.

A few weeks later I received a refund of the cost minus the 3 weeks I'd been with ISP.

I hadn't really expected a result, so was really surprised when I got the money.

Dave.
Old 22 November 2003, 02:35 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tiggers,
Had that happen to me but the amount that was involved the police were bought in, but I have to say although it was on my statement for 2 months, the money was refunded after that period without any problems, ring your card company and tell them your not happy with the outcome so far and you would like something more done about it, they should refund all money involved, good luck.
Cheers
Colin
Old 22 November 2003, 03:33 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Scoob99,

Thanks for the reply.

I have rung them and told them I'm not happy several times, but they say they can do notrhing without action from the fraud department - which is fair enough, but there doesn't seem to be any action.

I will contact them on Monday (they are only open Mon-Fri 9-5 - fraud obviously doesn't happen at weekends or in the evenings ) and express my concerns to them.

Regards,

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 11/22/2003 3:33:47 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 03:34 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Was getting p*ssed about by a record store for ages, who basically took my money and didnt send goods...

Phoned up barclaycard and they refunded it on the spot over the phone- got my statement through yesterday and it has *disputed transaction refund* on it dated the same day as i made the call..

Threaten to take your business elsewhere perhaps?
Old 22 November 2003, 08:12 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

must say Barclaycard were good to me.

they phoned me to ask about some transactions which their fraud detection unit picked up. Simply sent me a statement and all I had to do was tick the items that were not legitimate. No hassle at all.

Simple as.
Old 22 November 2003, 08:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Whilst Barclaycard is one of the most expensive cards to own, they do seem to be the best at handling complaints such as this.

They tend to refund the money immediately and then investigate.

I'm not sure what the pikey cards are like though (capital one, MBNA, GE cards etc)

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2003, 08:53 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MBNA was the card of mine which got stolen they were brilliant.
Cheers
Colin
Old 22 November 2003, 11:12 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

what would scooby do,

What makes you say BC are expensive?

I get the following:

No anual fee
my rate for purchases is 9.90%
0% on balance transfers (first £3000) 6.9% after £3000 for life.
Rewards Points
and cashback

Can't find another card that comes close.
Old 23 November 2003, 01:28 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

What if I was to tell you this is Barclaycard?

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 23 November 2003, 11:16 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,

I just got a refund from Barclaycard on my last statemtent dating back to June!

What is the name of the company that claimed on your card?

I've just had an entry from another company, so have cancelled the cards. Both were small amounts. £30 and £40. How about you?

I suppose, 1 month for the transaction to appear, 1 month to get the form in, 2 months for them to check it, 1 month to credit it back - although I don't think you have to pay it or interest etc.

Alan
Old 23 November 2003, 11:30 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I used to use Barclaycard a while back Matt - it was expensive then, maybe markets have changed now.

Tiggers I'm surprised they haven't refunded the disputed amount chap - ing them up and tell them you are going to switch to another card providor - always was affective for me.

I've kinda stopped using credit cards now - only use an Amex for business use, costs £80 a year in charges but its benefits outweigh the charge.

[Edited by what would scooby do - 11/23/2003 11:30:54 AM]
Old 23 November 2003, 11:43 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Alan,

These were for approx. £300 and £400 pounds - online travel tickets. To me this means they must have had my address as well (to enter the cardholder's address) which is what makes it more suspicious.

Originally the fraud department said they had a good chance of tracing them as they must have had a delivery address etc.

I'm not bothered if it takes a few months to sort them out, what does annoy me is that I've twice been told they've been credited back to my account only to find they haven't.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 23 November 2003, 04:13 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

MattN

Your figures for BC appear suspiciously good. I work for Barclays and find it hard to believe the details as you have quoted. It must be offset against some other charges.

Are you sure its 9.9%APR on purchases?
Old 23 November 2003, 04:46 PM
MrsP1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The best thing to do is call your card company as soon as u see anything that isnt yours and ask for them to issue a "Chargeback" on your behalf!

This then gets investigated by your card company and then if succesfull, you get your money back and the card company are happy as they dont loose any money! The shop/credit etc that was charged to your card gets charged your money and normally about £10 for the trouble!

Credit Card companies do not advertise this service, but you do have up to 6 MONTHS after it was charged to your card to dispute it and get a chargeback done!

Try it next time (Hopefully there wont be a next time!) and see!

Hope this helps.

Bex
Old 23 November 2003, 05:39 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Yes it's definately 9.90% on purchases. Has been for nearly 2 years. it's not offset against anything else.

And it's 2% cashback too.

It could just be you don't know everything about your own products?

[Edited by MattN - 11/23/2003 5:44:00 PM]
Old 23 November 2003, 06:01 PM
ChrisB

From my own experience of fake transactions appearing on a Visa card (MBNA), Visa have rules which dictate the time scale.

An ISP I hadn't used for years tried to charge my card three times. Each time I got it 'refunded' in full but it took a while. MBNA marked the transactions as disputed, so I wasn't charged interest on them whilst they were sorted.

IIRC, once the CC company asks for a chargeback, the merchant has 30 days to respond to it. Then from there there's assorted periods for asking for paperwork etc. I think Chiark is up on this.

Chris.
Old 23 November 2003, 07:23 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
tiggers,
when I had a refund from MBNA it didn't appear in my account until my 'statement date'. They hung on to it till the very last moment - you may find your card issurer does the same..?

alan
Old 23 November 2003, 07:49 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can inderstand them hanging on to it till the last possible minute etc., but why tell me it's been refunded (twice). I will be having aother chat with them tomorrow so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it.

Bex,

Thanks for the advice and the stupid thing is I should remember about that as I write interfaces to online transaction processing systems for web sites as part of my job - never thought to go the chrageback route - thanks again.

Best regards,

tiggers.