Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bipolar Syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 09:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had a relative diagnosed with "Bipolar Syndrome". Has anyone on here got any experience, help or advise to share. I've started trolling through the net for information but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers CB.
Old 26 November 2003, 09:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

have a peek here I KNOW it's an ER episode listing, but there are/were medical commentries on some of the epidodes as Abbie's mother was bipoloar, so there may be some information in there.

a few other links for you

Coping with Bipolar

Bipolar Happens
Old 26 November 2003, 11:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

isnt it another name for schizophrenia, or is it manic depresion

M
Old 27 November 2003, 02:17 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Bi-polar syndrome is manic depression. As far as I know, it can be reasonably successfuly treated with medication.

Cheers

Kev
Old 27 November 2003, 08:19 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

Bipolar affective disorder is the newer term for manic depression.

Try here

or here
Old 27 November 2003, 09:22 AM
richiewong
Twatful

From the International Classification of Disease 10

This disorder is characterised by repeated (i.e. at least 2) episodes in which the patinet's mood and activity are significantly disturbed, this disturbance consisting on some occasions of an elevation of mood and increased energy and activity (mania or hypomania), and on others of a lowering of mood and decreased energy and activity (depression). Characteristically, recovery is usually complete between episodes, and the incidence in the 2 sexes is more nearly equal than in other mood disorders. As patients who suffer only from repeated episodes of mania are comparatively rare, and resemble (in their family history, premorbid personality, age of onset, and long-term prognosis) those who also have at least occasional episodes of depression, such as patients are classified as bipolar(F31.8).

Manic episodes usually begin abruptly and last for between 2 weeks and 4-5 months (median duration about 4 months). Depressions tend to last longer (median length about 6 months), though rarely for more than a year, except in the elderly. Episodes of both kinds often follow stressful life events or other moental trauma, but the pesence of such stress is not essential for the diagnosis. The first episode may occur at an age from childhood to old age. The frequency of episodes and the pattern of remissions and relapses ars both very variable, though remissions tend to get shorter as time goes on and depressions to become commoner and longer lasting after middle age.

Although the original concept of "manic-depressive psychosis" also included patients who suffer only from depression, the term "manic- depressive disorder or psychosis" is now used mainly as a synonym for bipolar disorder.

Includes: manic-depressive illness, psychosis or reaction

Excludes:bipolar disorder, single manic episode (F30.-) cyclothymia

F31.0 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode hypomanic
F31.1 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode manic without psychotic symptoms
F31.2 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode manic with psychotic symptoms
F31.3 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode mild or moderate depression
F31.4 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode severe depression without pstchotic symptoms
F31.4 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode severe depression with psychotic symptoms
F31.6 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode mixed
F31.7 Bipolar affective disorder, currently in remission
F31.8 Other bipolar affective disorders
F31.9 Bipolar affective disorder, unspecified

[Edited by richiewong - 11/27/2003 9:34:44 AM]
Old 27 November 2003, 09:32 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Just to add to the above it can be treated with medications known as mood stabilisers, with the drug of choice being Lithium
This has a very fine theraputic range and blood checks are required. Anti epileptic medications such as Sodium Valproate and Carbamazepine can also be used.
The atypical antipsychotics e.g Olanzapine and Risperidone can be used in conjunction with a mood stabiliser to help the suffer as well but it'll be down to the consultant to decide the best medication

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2003, 09:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Thanks for the help guys, particularly richiewong. You seem to know your stuff when it comes to this. Do you know much about using diet and vitamin supplements (B complex and C) to control the effects?

Any further advise is more than welcome.
Old 27 November 2003, 10:01 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Don't know nuch about vitamin's helping the illness but it can't hurt trying. Usually use vitamin b, thiamine, for people with alcohol dependency though.

p.s I'm a Mental Health Nurse
Old 27 November 2003, 11:17 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my ex girlfriends was bipolar I (I believe there are two types of bipolar disorder, bipolar II being the rapid, frightening mood swings?). It was scarey enough for me seeing how she behaved. She was taking her anti-depressants but not her lithium mood stabilisers and she turned from a mostly sweet girl into a cocaine fuelled *****.

She wasn't getting enough help and pretending she didn't need it and just fighting through each day because she was far too proud; regardless she was ruining her life and that of those around her (including mine). I spoke to a few people and was recommended "A Brilliant Madness: Living With Manic-Depressive Illness" by Patty Duke, but there are lots of books on the subject. She's fine now she's got her medication back under control.

Steve.
Old 27 November 2003, 11:28 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

FFS dont ever, ever allow anyone to agree to ECT treatment - seriously ***** up the head - trust me

richiewong - comprehensive list of ICDs!!

corradoboy - its not as scary as it sounds and its nothing like schizophrenia thankfully. sufferers usually have ups and downs, a feeling of inadequacy (take critiscm very badly), possible eating / sleeping problems - usually prescribed prozac, amitriptyline (TCADs) or possibly lithium

this really is one for the doctors rather than all the Dr Scoobynetters though so I'll stop there

Old 27 November 2003, 01:21 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

I too had a relationship with a woman suffering from bi-polar.
I did'nt know what was going on with her , but intially it was fantastic -I mean sex was the best ever with a totally uninhibited beautifulwoman .She was also bi-sexual so I'd be expected to join in wild evenings with her girl friend and I was'nt complaining of course.We crossed every boundary.I used to look at myself in the morning and be disgusted with myself for allowing them to take advantage of me.
But then there would be the bad times and they would happen with little warning .From wild sex to being attacked with knives or anything she could get her hands on.Attempted suicides .But Lithium saved her -an element originating in the sun-Sting has written a song about it.She now is quite normal , once the correct amount prescribed was determined and it takes a while for it to get it right.The trade off is that her personality has changed and sex is not longer so important to her
Old 27 November 2003, 04:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks again all. Sounds like the rough was worth the smooth RobJenks, LOL.

Seriously though, I've read so far that it can be very dangerous for them to take the anti-depressants without the mood stabilisers, but by isolating any serious food allergies and taking an intense vitamin B complex and 1000mg of vitamin C daily they can eventually live without any drug assistance. There also seems to be some benefits from fish oils, but I believe care is needed in this area. He has already been prescribed lithium.

Scooby96, thanks for the tip on criticism. I can be a tactless tw@t at times and being that I've been teaching him the basics of driving in my car , and his clutch control is lousy , I may have been a little hard on him. Live & learn, eh ?

Thanks again.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

rob similar tale....

we parted company very quickly......

m
Old 27 November 2003, 10:36 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Its not a Joking matter, but its good that there is a form of treatment available. This is I understand what Stuart Goddard (AKA Adam Ant) suffers with.

My Brother on the other hand is a diagnosed psychopath for which there is no treatment. He can be incredibly violent but feels no guilt whatsoever(He can't be sectioned either as he's not insane). I had to share the same house as him for 17 years and it was strange when he finally had to leave as the house became 'Normal' and the cloud was lifted.
Nice to see some informed advice on here though.
Old 28 November 2003, 08:24 AM
sherlocks
Scooby Regular

** FFS dont ever, ever allow anyone to agree to ECT treatment -
seriously ***** up the head - trust me **

A friend had this as a last resort and it transformed his life for the better. Might not work for everyone and obviously has serious risks, but some people are desperate enough to try.