Good driving roads in Lake District?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2003, 01:54 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all,

I'm off to visit my parents in their new house near Kendal and only having had my 205 GTi 1.9 for a month and never actually got it out of London traffic I I'm REALLY looking forward to it!!

I'm sure I won't struggle to find any twisties, but are there any locals on the board who might be able to give me a few choice EVO-style routes?

Also if there are any known camera hotspots or 'favourite' van locations that info might be handy soon...

cheers
Ian
Old 27 November 2003, 04:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out the Hardknott & Wrynose Pass'. Head east out of Ambleside (N. of Windermere). When you get towards the end and are heading back down from the tops, check your brakes , you may need to stop to let them cool. There is no shortage of fine roads up there , just take it easy on the more popular routes. A-roads and dual carriageways are usually watched closely, the more remote the road the less the danger
Old 27 November 2003, 04:58 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Also, Kirkstone Pass north of Windemere, at the top of Bowness at the poxy little roundabout thing go up the little road off that....cracking road.
Old 27 November 2003, 05:24 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Good stuff - any more please - I've got a week!!
Old 27 November 2003, 05:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The roads up there are great but be careful there are some hills that are 1/4 or something daft like that but I can't remember the name of the road I was blasting along the lanes a couple of years ago with a mate who knew the area giving my instuctions for the bends and he forgot to mention a hump back bridge that I hit at a very very high speed in his mondeo estate!!! I thought the struts were coming out via the bonnet and I holed his sump guard and scraped the chassis, that's what company cars are for though
Old 27 November 2003, 06:19 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

ian put a post in the northern section as theres plenty of great roads someone will probably give you a route, as i'm cr@p at that sort of stuff

mike

[Edited by FASTER MIKE!! - 11/27/2003 6:20:20 PM]
Old 28 November 2003, 06:47 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Try Corney Fell - wide open view of anything coming, but tight, twisty, fun road :-)

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2003, 06:56 PM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

Have a run up to Penrith & head toward Alston via the A686 & Hartside. Be careful though & be a good lad & let the bikers past
All the other roads mentioned are IMO a bit small & you have to slow down if you meet anybody coming the other way, Corney Fell has passing places on it FFS!
Old 28 November 2003, 07:20 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I stayed at Hartsop last for a long weekend last week, just at the bottom of the Kirkstone Pass. Gutted that I took the Passat when I got there
Old 28 November 2003, 09:40 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Excuse me, but speaking as a native West Cumbrian, who needs a passing-place at 0700 on a weekend morning??? It's empty, windy, open, challenging and sheer exhilaration! I've got into three figures on the northern run-off! Sorry, mate, but get a life and get up early to enjoy it!
Old 28 November 2003, 10:51 PM
rawsy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Road running alongside the length of Bassenthwaite Lake is excellent, lots of twisties - dunno whats its called or the road number, but its on the opposite side of the Lake than than the main road (A66???). As said previously, early in the morning is the best ;-)

Have fun !!!
Old 29 November 2003, 09:55 AM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

Hi there Thrust, (I`m sorry if I picked you up wrong but it seems you think I`ve only driven around these roads once a year on my holidays) I am a native West Cumbrian (Workington) & I still live here as a motorcyclist & ex Scooby owner I`ve probably done all the roads worth doing in this part of the world at various speeds & Hartside is my favourite (try the A6 over Shap from Kendal too as it ends up in Penrith & you can head towards Hartside from there ) Corney is far too small & has far too many sheep wandering over it to be any good IMO The last thing I want to do while whizzing along that road is to meet somebody else doing the same thing the other way or some sheep standing in the road round a corner.
I would`nt recommend doing it at 7am on a weekday either cos you tend to meet the Sellafield traffic & those guys DO know that road
I also like the road from Keswick to Dunmail Raise (toward Ambleside)

Lee
Old 29 November 2003, 12:03 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry, m8 - actually I'd had a few jars when I wrote that one... Apols for any offence.

I (sadly :-( ) don't live in Cumbria now, but I do visit many friends regularly on the West Coast, and while I hear you on the sheep, I love that road!! I've not managed to get a sheep yet, but had some near misses :-) You're wise to emphasise the weekend bit, too - you picked up on the same thing as me. Back in the eighties when there were a load of Sellafield contractors working on THORP it was deadly in the morning!

On a similar topic, have you tried Birker Moor. Best in the dark when you can see what's coming ;-).
Old 30 November 2003, 12:13 PM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

That`s ok, apology accepted