Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What Scart lead

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2003, 12:33 PM
cool.j
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting ghosting on my TV screen when watching a DVD, that is i can seen faint images now and again of a TV channnel i am pretty sure i need a good quality Scart lead, can anybody reccomend one, i dont want to go to Currys or where ever and be sold the dearest one
Old 30 November 2003, 12:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

I had this on our old TV, I believed it to be an internal fault with the source switching circuitry. If the DVD player has a normal aerial output...connect it up, and tune the TV in, and select the DVD channel via the aerial input, before switching to the scart input that should get rid of any ghost images.

But trying another scart lead can't do any harm (except the wallet )

We've got some gold plated ones with silicon insulation which the lead comes out the back rather than the side (Can't remember the make...but they're blue!)- I found they stay in the socket alot more securly rather than the ones with the cable comming out the side which seems to lever the plug out whenever you move the player (i.e push it back under the cabinet after plugging it back in...again ) They cost about £20 IIRC

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/30/2003 12:59:16 PM]
Old 30 November 2003, 01:11 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Cool.J - This is almost certainly down to a cheap SCART lead that does not have adequate screening between the conductors. When in AV (SCART) mode, the TV outputs the tuner signal to the SCART connector, whist receiving the DVD/VCR input through the same socket. With cheap cables, you will get cross-talk between the conductors that results in the tuner output (from the TV) coupling with the SCART input, and hence the ghosting.

Get a SCART cable that has separate, properly shielded, 75 ohm conductors for the video signal and all will be fine. Shoudl cost you about £20 to £25 max (Cambridge Audio cables from Richer Sounds are quite good), or look here for a variety of decently priced cables.
Old 30 November 2003, 04:06 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Thor scart leads are very good IMHO, but if your getting ghosting from another source, then you may need to snip a pin on the scart lead, Pin 19 IIRC but dont hold me to that.
This is only applicable to some TV's( panny's being one of em) but it does work.
Spooks
Old 30 November 2003, 04:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Dr Ming has the answer.

Les
Old 30 November 2003, 07:36 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Yes, sadly I have to own up to once working for a company that imported/sold poor quality leads of that nature . No end of customer complaints about ghost images. Cables like this are to be found in all your high street stores.

You could snip of pin 19 (composite video out) at the TV end of the cable, but this is addressing the sympton not the cause. In addition, if you have a cheap cable that is giving video crosstalk, it is probably giving audio crosstalk too.

[Edited by dr_ming - 11/30/2003 8:07:24 PM]