Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Love Actually

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2003, 09:34 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not as good as the reviews on here suggest.

seems like richard curtis had two or three films in his head but blews his budget on claudia schiffer, american pie girl, dennis richards and ant and dec (maybe not the last two) so he made one film and stuck them all in it.

as such there was no character development at all....easy way round that thinks richard, lets just cast them in roles everyone knows. So we get the Tim from The Office being Tim, we get gormless kid from My Family being gormless and Rowen Atkinson being a gay Johny English.
We then get 37 story lines with little or no link between them yet we are expected to belive in them enough to care about the people. On top of that we are expected to belive that hugh grants character is primeminister (yet attacks the US 2 weeks after getting the job because he fancies his fat tealady) and a 1 year old boy cares more about the class flirt than he does his dead mother.

and what was with the anti Labour stuff? leave the anti-establishment stuff to Oliver Stone maybe?

Solution = dump the bloke going to US for sex plot, dump the kid in love at 10 plot, dump Tim from the office, dump bend it like beckham girl and the is he gay is he not plot.

keep emma t, collin f, allan r and maybe beef up the hugh g part. give them all more lines and some plot and it would have been cool.

T

ps- before anyone says "but tim was funny and there where breasts in it".....a dead parrot sketch in the shawshank redemption would still be a funny sketch but not help the film and there are breasts everywhere...i dont need to see them in this film

pps- watch about a boy, far better.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:06 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

The movie was a bit of a "nothing" film, and could have been a lot better.

But it was still an okay way to pass a couple of hours.

Steve.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:15 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

steve,

i agree but with rickman, neilson, thomson, firth, etc it seems a waste.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:20 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Talking

Could have done without the pathetic and childish political comment re. the US in the middle of the film.

Could have down without the 9/11 voiceover by Hugh Grant at the start.

Could have done without Martine whateverhernameis altogether or at least her miserable whining London girly voice anyway.

Could have done without the film relying on swearing to get a laugh - it didn't work in Four Weddings so why do they think it will work in this.

Could have done without images of people enouraging others to dodge airport security.

Could have done without the childish humour regarding people's weight.

Apart from that it was OK

tiggers.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:30 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Well i saw it on Firday night.

Kept me mildly amused for a couple of hours. No more. no less. I dont expect every film I go and see to change my life though

Did seem a waste of a quality cast though.

Deano
Old 01 December 2003, 10:46 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

agree with the wearing...how cringy was the "oh ive said fXXX to the PM" scene.....nearly as bad as the hugh dancing bit....what was that? did curtis think if it works for david brent it'll work for me?

as for airport security....one of the guards should have gunned the kid down with his machine gun....could have been a suicide bomber (bearing in mind the plot line he was running from could well have been a sucide!)