Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving to Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2003, 10:36 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My wife has just been for an interview for a job in Dubai and I think she will get it. Has anyone been or lived out in the Emirates? What’s it like? I was working in IT until last month but I got made redundant. Anyone know what Dubai is like for IT work at the moment? I have been on a few Job sites but don’t see much.
We are thinking about going out for a year. If I don’t get work I will have to be a stay at home dad / playboy for a year.
Old 11 December 2003, 10:41 AM
Luke
BANNED

Bloody great place.. get out there and enjoy. mate was selling cars a few years back..made some good money.
Old 11 December 2003, 12:12 PM
JR55
Scooby Regular

My Brother in Law lives/works out there ,been out to visit a couple of times and IMHO it is the Dogs danglies. The heat can be a bit of a pisser during the summer 'cos it gets hotter than hot but if you can live with constant A/C it's ok, getting up at 5.00AM to walk the dog gets a bit of a chore though. The ex-pat community is a good laff with lots of like minded people about. He works for Marconi cabling out the "Internet Village" that the Arabs are building in preparation for the oil running out, from what he says IT and comms jobs are ten a penny but it is easier to get one if you are insitu already 'cos they won't have to pay for housing for you. If you don't play golf yet learn 'cos the golf course/country club is the best recruitment area according to Mark he has had 3 offers in the last month. Weekends on a Thursday/Friday take a bit of getting used to but the bars are still open so it doesn't really matter I would love to get a job out there but there isn't much call for IT sales Hope she gets it 'cos you will have a ball.

Old 11 December 2003, 04:29 PM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

its fantastic,clean,tidy,friendly,modern,and of course very warm,you'll love it mate!
Old 11 December 2003, 04:40 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I am away there on business tomorrow(followed by 4 days on the beach).
I lived there for a rew years in the mid 80's and it was great then. A lot better now. Fabulous place, easy to live in.