Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats going wrong ?? (AV Related) !!HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2003, 10:38 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully someone with a bit of AV knowledge will be able to answer my question before I start ranting on the phone..

basically I have a 44" Thomson Scenium (44TW611) rear projection TV with built in DVD, sony 5.1 amp , sony DVD, sony bass and satellite speakers , sony Video and sky+.

now , I'm no expert but I've wired things like this up before with not too much trouble, but since all the above have been installed every now and then the TV will go into stand by mode, then quickly turn back on again. This happens whether we're watching sky, a dvd or video and probably happens either once or occasionally twice while watching on an evening.

I've checked and replaced all scarts, digital coax ,jack plugs and optical leads.. but it still happens !!!

Has anyone got the same TV and has/had this problem so I know it could be a fauly set, or am I missing something really obvious ???

Cheers

Phil

[Edited by MadGrip - 12/11/2003 10:48:59 AM]
Old 11 December 2003, 12:27 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I would say almost certainly thats a faulty set - maybe the on/off switch....

I can't see how a scart lead/speaker lead whatever can turn the TV off and back on again.

Get on the phone.....
Old 11 December 2003, 12:39 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Defo summat up with the TV.
Old 11 December 2003, 12:39 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

This happened with my Hitatchi 28"er that I bought in Dec93 - yoiu can do a search on here for the thread between June-Dec03.

The engineer told me it was the tube settling down (bollocks!) - did it from day 1 and gradually over the past 10 years its got less and less to the extent that I dont recall its happened more than once this year.

It defo aint the tube thingy but in my case it hasnt affected longevity.

I would recommend getting it seen on warranty and replaced if you're still not happy - did you pay for it on Visa - if so you have some additional recourse.

Good luck

(Dont be as lilly livered as I was and keep agreeing to them coming out and taking it away to 'field test' it which is basically them sitting it on a workbench for 2 weeks and hoping that they'll see it do it too whilst there doing proper repairs to other tellys)
Old 11 December 2003, 12:41 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Could be a "dry joint" always a favorite.
Old 11 December 2003, 04:25 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

It was an insurance replacement for my old one so i have no reciepts, I do know where it came from though.

Tube settling down sounds like a load of bollox and I thought that RPTV's didnt have a tube..!!

anyway, I'd better get on the phone

Cheers

Phil
Old 11 December 2003, 05:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

>>The engineer told me it was the tube settling down << PMSL I love that one!

I just had to send a VT machine at work back and it's a £2500 fixed Sony charge to fix the dodgy circuit's dry joint - and it is a dry joint on one of the boards 18 layers. Hope that makes you feel better
Old 11 December 2003, 05:35 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tv on/off switch , i had a tv do the same kind of thing . one day i turned it off and as i was walking out of the room it cane back on again , i switched it off again and the switch went up in smoke . cost me about £25 to repair .