Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave Review, Elation 13/12/2003

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 11:21 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Elation is a long running Hardcore rave which has worked hard to establish its reputation of a leading force of innovation within the hardcore scene since its rebirth. If you go to a Hardcore rave and see something that makes you sit up and take notice then its probably already been done six months previously at an Elation. The promoters pride themselves on doing something different at each and every event. In fact the only thing that does remain the same is the venue, The Electrowerkz in Angel. Holding every event at the same venue has the advantage of attracting ravers who know what to expect from a night out. In Elation's case its a seething mass of the hardest of hardcore ravers packing themselves into the venue and creating what is widely acknowledged as the best atmosphere within the scene today. This event was their annual "Christmas Carnage" Party and never ones to slack off, the Elation Boys had put on a lineup which exceeded their usual standards of diversity and variety. B2B specials from the likes of Quosh, Nu Energy, Kniteforce, Elation Recordings and Raw Elements, International talent from Cloudskipper representing the USA and a live PA from Finnish Freeform Gods Carbon Based, all combined with the very best MCs in the business to make a lineup to die for. At the very least it made sure I attended.
If that werent enough, some fool had decided to up the stakes by declaring this party a "Return to cheese" and fancy dress night. If you werent dressing up then it would have been rude not to don a dayglo and dodgy rave hat. How many other raves can you be joined on the dancefloor by: Batman & Robin, loads of doctors and surgeons, A cardinal, a Nurse, a policewomen, a fairy, the queen of hearts, some guy in a biohazard suit (hope he laid off the diet Dr. Pepper), a collection of pirates, a camel, a pair of teenage mutant turtle doves, and some twonk wrapped head to foot in a bog roll? Well if you were there then you would know that the above was just the tip of the iceberg.
I know I usually bang on about how good the rave was and give X number of reasons to justify my feelings, but this one is gonna be different. Every DJ and MC put of performances of a lifetime at this rave, without exception. And I'm gonna tell you exactly why.
Tom U4EA and James F were amazing because: They played the first set of the night and although James F bore an uncanny resemblence to Pat Sharp, he seemed to have his hardcore mullet on as there was a complete absence of cheesy pop. The tempo was slower than I've heard them play before, but like I said, it was the first set. Respect to these two for playing a professional set and making sure the ravers didnt peak too early.

Sy and Unknown were amazing because: The Quosh boys were on straight after Tom and James and while the pace was noticably increased when they started, the crowd lapped it up. These two played a crowd pleasing set with tunes such as "Techno Harmony", Keep the crowd Jumping", and "I became Hardcore" all getting dropped during their alotted hour. All the way through, the ravers were treated to a scratchathon whic these two have made their trademark. Superb.

Kev Energy and AMS were amazing because: They seemed to extract every last drop of energy from every raver on the dancefloor! Hard and fast freeform is the prerequisite of any Nu Energy based set so up went the BPMs and the atmosphere was right behind it. I cant name any of the tunes they played apart from the remix of "Ready or not" but it was good. Very good. The best indicator of how good it was a bloke who came up to me during their set and showed me his watch. It was actually a heart rate monitor, showing an un-shy 191BPM!

Luna C and DJ Deluxe were amazing because: Well the clue is in the title really. Luna C and Deluxe are from Kniteforce so its a given fact that the set will be amazing. True to form, their set consisted of numerous genre hops, ranging from wicked old skool Breakbeat, through to the upfront sound, all the way to the inevitable drum and Bass that creeps in ( not that I'm complaining, mind you). These two started off with a weird intro, suggesting that father christmas should be locked up rather than sneak into kiddies bedrooms and then got on with their set. Got to say a massive respect for playing "Take me away" Wicked tune

Carbon Based were amazing because: It was the first time I'd seen them and I was seriously impressed. They played freeform the way its supposed to be. Dark and experimental. The whole set consisted of their own material and was none the poorer for ir. The whole crowd raved non stop throughout the set so I couldnt have been the only one who thought that every mile they had travelled to be there was worth it.

Cloudskipper was amazing because: I've seen Cloudskipper on the board for a few years now. TBH I didnt know he was a DJ and I didnt know he was a good as he was. CS played a really, really good set. Hard, Dancable and highly enjoyable, Cloudskipper gave most of the crowd, including me, an insight into what US hardcore is all about. Tunes like "The Great Escape", Substance" by Uplift, Stargazer and Cloudskipper, "Revoloution" by the same and "Check this out" By Cloudskipper and Sketchy. His set was a breath of fresh air from the current vogue of UK Hardcore overload you get at some raves.

Ponder and Wizbit were amazing because: It must be bloody hard work to keep a crowd motivated after an international showcase. However, its a testimony to how good a set these two played that me and everyone else on the dancefloor stayed put throughout their set. If you can go for a girly rest when they play tumes like CLSM's "Driftin Away", Dillinja's "Twist em out", "Chemical Love" and a new remix of Stargazer's "Ultimate high" then you have more self control than me. Wicked set, really enjoyed it.

HB and Uplift were amazing because: Playing the last set of the night is another challenge, mostly because everyone is too knackered to dance with any conviction. HB and Ponder changed all that by playing a blinder of a set including tunes such as ALtered Beats, Fly with you and to finish off the night "Christmas Carnage 2003" By Tom U4EA. A collection of christmas rips including "all I want for Christmas" Enjoyed that one, let me tell you

MC Shotgun was amazing because: It was the first time I'd heard him properly and I was impressed with what he had to offer. Too many up and comings are eager to impress, often at the expense of the music. Shotgun knew when to perform and when to let the music do the talking. When he did perform he was not at all bad.
MC Elmo was amazing because: Its not often I see Elmo on the mic, but that just makes it better when I do see him. One thing was obvious, he was enjoying every minute of his time on the mic and it reflected in his performance on the night. Nice one mate
Smiley and Whizzkid were amazing because: These two showed up early and by the time they left the party was rocking. They went non stop for about 2 hours, never fading and never resting. They performed as every Hardcore MC should. The party was okay when they arrived, it was firing on all cylinders when they left.
Storm was amazing because: When Storm showed up for the last two sets, the pary had been on its feet all night and was more than a little tired. All I can say is god help anyone who has the audacity to sit down when Storm takes over the mic. Making ravers stand up "Because you dont sit down at a hardcore rave" was funny and it also kept the party rocking till the end of the night. Respect.
This party was one of the best raves I've ever been to. The atmosphere was higher than it usually is, if thats possible, the crowd were so up for a party it was unbelievable, the production was top notch, and the music was nothing short of perfection.
There is little point in me doing a "Things I liked" list as that would only leave me scratching around for things to put in the "Things I liked less" column.
If you werent at this party then you should be kicking yourself. Last Saturday's Elation, from start to finish, Was Fan-fuking-tastic.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Davespice (Hardcore forever), Ponder, HB, Tom U4EA, James F, Sweetstar, Mikey B, Coriolis, Grob Le Frog, Rainbow Drops, Paul Zykotik, Dan Desire, Cris E Manic, Andy M, Iwolf, Dezmond, CDJay, MC Jutt, Matt Wildcard, Rizla Dizla, Ezzle, Voltage, Offit Moffit, Nuclear Raver, Sorcerer, Immz, Raz Power and all the Pat the Wet crew, Happythoughts, Pumps, Projekt, Slammin Sam, LordPeter, Emsties and her american chum, Jordan Lost soul, Dezmond, Caine, Sonic, Mayhem, Skampy and Hektic, Nicki Enigma, Stargazer, The Camel Records Posse, Kev Energy, Luna C, Sy, Storm, Whizzkid, Smiley, James and Charlie Kitten, Paul USH and his missus, Tenz, Benz, Minty, Peachy, Dave Skywalker, Tony Res and anyone else I've forgotten.
Old 19 December 2003, 01:47 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Quote of the night goes to MC Storm when HB and Uplift were cuing up the final (**** take) tune.
"Its not gay is it? it is? I bet YOU wrote it too!!! (Points to Tom U4EA) *turns to crowd* Right get your hands in the air!!"

astraboy.