Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital SLR cameras

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2003, 11:05 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will any digital SLR camera - a Canon one - be able to take my various lenses from my Canon EOS 500?

If so, which one?

TIA.
Old 29 December 2003, 11:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes, all of them. All the EOS cameras take all the EOS lenses.

The only (slight) exception is that the EF-S 18-55 lens only works on the 300D. However, it's only available bundled with the 300D in the first place, so even that isn't really a problem.

Would you like to buy my D30?

Andy.
Old 29 December 2003, 11:10 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I have the standard lens, and also a 75-300 (I think) telephoto.

How much you selling for?

(thanks btw)
Old 30 December 2003, 12:13 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

All Canon EF lenses will fit all Canon EOS dSLR.

As Andy pointed out the EF-S lenses will not fit all Canon dSLRs (curruntly only the 300D).

The only other gotcha is that some EOS fit Sigma lenses from around before the year 2000 will not work with the latest Canon dSLRs. But they can be sent back to Sigma to be rechipped if necessary.

There again, any Sigma lense from before 2000 isn't going to be much cop anyway.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 December 2003, 04:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I put it up on eBay this afternoon *sob*

Will definitely miss it - it's a great camera but I just can't justify keeping it as well as the 1D.
Old 30 December 2003, 04:26 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

You might miss it once its gone Andy, but what are you going to spend the money on when you sell it?

I would bite your hand off if I could, but just as I get the money together some thing needs replacing. Currently its 1. Flat roof 2. bathroom 3. kitchen and 4. double glazing

And we are going to Florida in April so I will try and get a bargin over there in local cameras shops (see here for my request of camera shops)

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 07:16 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've already spent the money - I bought a 1D with it Sadly just after I spent my spare cash, I've received a big tax bill - plus the Scooby has just had its 60k service and needs new brakes and tyres... the D30 won't go very far at all!

The cheap and reputable camera stores, such as B&H, Adorama and Delta International tend to congregate around NYC - I'm not aware of any big names being located in Florida. Maybe you could convince one of them to ship to your hotel address while you're there?

Be warned, there are some serious scam artists out there too, also generally located in NYC. Check http://www.resellerratings.com to check out any potential suppliers. (It's quite funny, sometimes, to see people write things like 'I heard all the horror stories about this company, but they were cheap, so...' ).

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2003, 07:54 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

sorry for jumping on your thread but would anyone here have any idea what my D60 would be worth now. Its about 18 months old and has hardly been used.
I prefer using my EOS 3.

I could be tempted into selling the D60.
Old 30 December 2003, 08:29 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Battery Grip added to laffintunes Watch List
Old 30 December 2003, 09:04 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

David,

I asked this question last week. See here.

Also have a look on ebay. You are sitting on AT LEAST £500-600

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 10:39 PM
David Brent
Scooby Regular

Thanks Darren, I might have to have a go in the "for sale" section.

anyone interested?
Old 31 December 2003, 06:20 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Battery grip removed from potential purchase list - Christ! That shot up! What is your secret Andy? I need to get some action on some of my stuff!
Old 31 December 2003, 06:48 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

*snigger* I couldn't quite believe it myself - the grip is now at £165 having been only up for a day

New ones are £150 - so that's £15 extra for the hand strap, two fairly well used 3rd party batteries and a few scuffs that happened when I dropped it!

My tips, for what they're worth:

- Don't cut and paste manufacturer's specs. Scam artists do that, so don't do anything that might make your ad look even slightly like a scam. Some potential buyers might smell a rat and be put off - and of course, it's not just their loss, it's yours too.

- For the same reason, don't make your product photos look too much like studio shots. They're very good, no question about that, but as you mention yourself in your 28-135IS auction, they could appear to be stock photos that you're using because you don't really have the item for sale at all. That's why, although I took a fair bit of time and care over my own shots, I was very sure to make it clear they were taken on my lounge carpet

- Do describe what the product is, what it can do, and why people might want to buy it. Try to instil a bit of 'gadget lust' in a hesitant buyer. You're selling cool toys, remember.

- Make sure your description is accurate. If there's a 28-135 f-3.5-4 IS then I'd love to hear about it. The 3.5-5.6 is still very much in production as far as I know.

- Don't mention what the stuff is worth retail! The last thing you want is prople seeing the 'new' price on screen at the same time as they enter their maximum bid. You want people to get excited or even carried away. What do you think the bid would be on my battery grip if the ad said new ones were only £150? (OK, I'm throwing in some other stuff, but it's not up to me to help people do their research and work out what stuff is really worth - I have a gadget habit to feed too!).

- Be careful if you mention why you're selling. Saying 'I've upgraded' is probably safe. Saying 'I've upgraded to model X which is only slightly more expensive' probably isn't wise. Saying 'I'm sick of its limitations and have gone and bought the next model up, which is the one I should have gone for in the first place' certainly won't do you any favours. On the other hand, saying 'I've had excellent service from this product and now feel confident enough to move on' gives the desired impression that the product is reliable, does its job well and will leave the buyer satisfied.

HTH

Andy.
Old 31 December 2003, 06:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

ps. don't worry if you don't get any bids until the last minute. I never bid early for anything - why push the price up and give people time to reconsider and increase their bids too? In fact I know it's a filty habit but I'm a 'sniper' - I've won auctions in the last 5 seconds before. It's fun watching your own auctions over the last few minutes - it can be quite exciting if you're half as sad as me...
Old 31 December 2003, 09:20 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

I think I made a few fundamental errors. The photos are too clinical and dry as you say. Good enough in fact that someone has already pinched one, grr.

I wanted to mention the retail price as there are some other bidders saying they're 450 quid, turns out they've gone up to that much and I got a good deal! On reflection I probably shouldn't have mentioned that!

And yes, I said that I upgraded but to what are essentially the next 'level up', I hope that anyone bidding on these realises that they're getting a good product in its own right and not some insuperior cast off. Hence mentioning the lenses I upgraded to.

I think the biggest problem with those is that they're a lot to read, I dare say a fair number of people haven't bothered to spend time on the details.

The ones with outlandish claims and loads of colour and flashing text seem to do well. Frustrating.

Oh, and the 3.5-4.5 was a mistake on Jessops part, no such lens exists.

Here's to Sunday anyway, see what happens.
Old 31 December 2003, 09:27 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

20-35 revised to make it clear to those people who don't read things.

Christ.