Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Prostate Cancer, after death of Bob Monkhouse

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 08:20 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

With the very Sad news of the Death of Mr Bob Monkhouse of Prostate cancer it got me thinking about it. What are the signs of it? etc, etc. Would be nice to know if anybody has any serious genuine advice on this . Also testicula Cancer , any advice on this to, what symptoms etc. Majority of people on scoobynet are Male,but who checks thereselves reguly ?. Just a thought !. I know some of you from here and some are just names. But it would be a tragic loss for your loved ones and us scoobynet folks to, to lose some of our Members from something that if diagnosed early can be cured. THINK ON IT GUYS AND GO GET YOUR SELF CHECKED OUT. You owe it to your Family.

Steve
Old 30 December 2003, 11:38 AM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Very sad news about Bob, I can't say that I really know how to check myself for prostate/testicular cancer. I guess giving them a once over once a week would be a good idea.

I think we are only just starting to get our heads round Cancer, the fact is diseases like this take years to develop so by the time the symptoms are apparent (e.g. lump on your nuts that you can feel) it is generally at a time when the disease has taken hold and then treatment is not really that sophisticated - burn/cut the bad cells out. This has mixed results, the treatment is often as bad as the disease and doesn't always work - I don't fancy having my ***** cut off but I guess its better than dying!

I don't think finding the cure is the answer, finding the cause and then preventing it is! All the drug companies are concentrating on finding a cure because that's their business model - more sick people = more pills sold, if they concentrated their efforts on finding the cause the solution might not be a product they sell!

The sad fact is that its only when it effects people personally - them or someone close to them that people think about this sort of thing. Personally I think everyone has to take responsibility to be healthy and really think about what they are putting in their bodies. The amount of crap our bodies take in these days just didn't exist 30 years ago - through our food, air, water and I don't think it is a conincidence that diseases are appearing earlier and also increasing in their severity.

A wise old man once said 'You can choose to take care of your health today, or be forced to take care of your illness tomorrow.'

Food for thought!

Cheers

Richard
Old 30 December 2003, 11:48 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Apparently olive oil and tomatoes are very good for preventing this, doctor told my dad when he had a scare. I'm half Italian so eat loads of these, lets hope, but prevention is deffo better than cure for this type of cancer. Healthy eating all.
Old 30 December 2003, 11:54 AM
Luke
BANNED

This is a job for the wife.
Old 30 December 2003, 11:59 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

signs of an enlarged prostrate can be diagnosed by ur doctor with a dre examination, (Thats the one we all dont like) you might also notice frequent peeing, or problems when trying to pee, ie no pressure, just dribbles out. You can also have a blood test regularly for psa PROSTRATE SPECIFIC ANTIGENS, I think is the correct name for it. I know a little as i had a few tests last year, im only young but was a little para, i did some reading on it also
Old 30 December 2003, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Early Prostate cancer can be detected with a blood test.

Les
Old 30 December 2003, 12:07 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Not being funny here but isn't w@nking supposed to help? Something about keeping all the fluids moving.
Old 30 December 2003, 12:10 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Correct Chaz, its supposed to stop the build up of nitrates. You have to do it every day for maximum effect, which shouldnt be a problem for some one here

Jye <--- confirmed ******
Old 30 December 2003, 12:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

From http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/cancernet/305029.html

The study found that intake of legumes, yellow-orange, and cruciferous vegetables was associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer
Steve.
Old 30 December 2003, 12:18 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

So w@nking and pizza (for the tomatoes) sounds good to me!
Old 30 December 2003, 12:36 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

One sign of testicular cancer is lumps. Have a feel whenever you wash your plumbs for anything strange. Also spots on the ****** can indicate problems.

For the DIY car nuts (pardon the pun), avaid keeping oily rags in your overall pockets, as mineral oil can seep into your clothes in the nuts area. Mineral oil is carcinogenic, and can lead to ******/testi cancers.

This was what we were told at work repeatedly anyway.

Steve
Old 30 December 2003, 12:39 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Your prostate is up the old backside (well not quite, but to feel for it I hope thats what my doctor used those rubber gloves for), not in yer nuts

[Edited by Jye - 12/30/2003 12:40:21 PM]