Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameras Shops in Florida - Orlando, Daytona area

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 01:38 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm looking for cameras shops around between Florida -> Daytona as I am planning on buying some stuff out there

Any one know any? Google is little help and yellowpages is fecking useless

So far I have found one

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 06:54 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Be careful of the rammed little electronics shops in South Beach. I needed a wide angle adapter sharpish and one tried to flog me a 'unherad of brand' (albeit in a wooden presentation box) for $400. Wouldnt have it when he came down to $60 even!

D
Old 30 December 2003, 09:22 PM
Steve A
Scooby Regular

Just a suggestion....if you know what you are looking for then why not order from B&H in New York (massive photo store) and get them to send the gear to an address where you are staying in Florida.
I have used them before and found their service good, their prices cheap....and in fact with the strong pound you will probably save 30-40% on UK prices...this is their website http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home
Old 30 December 2003, 09:32 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

I was in B&H in NY a few weeks ago - not too helpful at least for me I'm afraid. As for Orlando - there's a camera store near the Florida Mall. It's on the north side of the mall near the Borders bookstore.
Old 30 December 2003, 09:37 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Personal experience tells me that you should avoid any of the stores advertising in the tourist guides.

Best thing I found was to pick up yellow pages and phone around when you get there...

SB
Old 30 December 2003, 09:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Diesel - I was hoping to find a 'proper' camera store and not a small electronic store as I am aware of their usual tatics.

Steve - I have been looking on their website just now as I had considered what you have suggested. At the moment I am looking at a 28-135 IS lens (which is $399 £235) and hoping to pick up either a cheap Canon digital body (D30/D60) or an EOS 5 (known as a A2 or A2E in America).

Either way, the body is going to be used, the lense new.

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 10:07 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

merlin - Is that the florida mall? There are so many and they are all so big. Last time I was there we shopped all day and must have been to about 15 different malls. I thought it was supposed to be a holiday not hell

I'll keep an eye out for it. Many thanks for the info. You don't happen to know their name do you?

As for Orlando - there's a camera store near the Florida Mall. It's on the north side of the mall near the Borders bookstore.

Sbradley - I was looking on yellow pages earlier today but it confused the hell out of me. I'll make sure there is a copy of for when I arrive

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 10:24 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

DEFINTELY give the camera/electronic stores that you find in Kissimmee and International Drive areas a miss. Nothing but rip off merchants after tourists cash, all staffed by middle eastern types that would make most used car dealers look honest!!!. You could try www.wolfcamera.com
LES H
Old 30 December 2003, 11:43 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

That's the Florida Mall I was talking about. The camera store is not in the mall itself. It's on Sand Lake Drive (North side) next to Borders bookstore. There's a map at http://www.about-orlando.com/orlandomap.htm that shows the Florida Mall.
Old 31 December 2003, 10:11 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Les H - We have always avoided the 'normal' toruists shopping centres. My girlfriend has been to Florida so many times she knows the local shopping centres and shops but she does not know any camera shops

merlin - thanks for the map

Darren
Old 06 January 2004, 06:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I buy stuff from B&H for work - spent thousands with them. Great prices and HUGE choice; no complaints. I slip in the odd personal camcorder battery order - well they are as cheap as chips for a 4A battery that will last a week! Lovely
Old 09 January 2004, 10:36 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Diesel.

Almost sorted my shopping list, I am gonna have a look around the first week and see if I find anything, then if I don't, I'll call B&H and get them to ship the stuff to our timeshare complex.

Darren
Old 09 January 2004, 11:36 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

B&H Photo in NY (there last week) was much cheaper than any of the camera shops I've seen in Orlando (here at the moment ).

Also, the shops in Orlando don't seem to have much gear in stock, whereas B&H have absolutely everything. If you do order from them, ask for grey market stuff, as it's cheaper than the US market gear.

Old 09 January 2004, 11:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Daryl,

Not expecting a reply until you get back

Is Grey Market equipment from Japan etc. ?

Darren