Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ericsson P900

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 11:57 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got one today as an upgrade,Damn fine phone.The video capture is unbelievable.Any1 else got 1 and what do you think if you have.
Old 31 December 2003, 12:13 AM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

i got one a few weeks ago, great phone
Old 31 December 2003, 07:36 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah I've had mine a while now, purely and simply the best phone available, no contest (and I've had a few). Don't use the key pad on mine, makes it a lot slimer and more attractive.

Anyone who says it isn't the best doesn't own one. Try the best of the rest, they don't even compare. I tried to use my gf's 6600, awful to navigate/use internet/get bluetooth on, etc.

Have you played V Rally in widescreen with the touch screen controls yet?.
Old 31 December 2003, 11:38 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

I am still trying to find my way around it,having trouble setting up,internet,mms.im on vodafone any advise please.I am prety technical.
Old 31 December 2003, 11:44 AM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

you can go to the ericsson site find the page that will send yr settings for you after typeing in yr details ie service provider , phone no etc
Old 31 December 2003, 01:47 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

All the technical settings are here settings

It's quite straight forward entering the details into the phone, control panel, internet accounts, etc
Old 31 December 2003, 10:09 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

rav,james
Thanks
Now sorted and well impressed.I have installed v-rally demo from disc. fantastic graphics.Me thinks Nokia etc have some seriose catching up to do.
Where can i get the full v rally??

Martyn

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2003, 11:06 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

yes my spelling is crap
Old 31 December 2003, 11:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Glad it's sorted mate.

There are instructions as to where to get the full game when you stop the demo on the phone.

Have you looked here? There's some good pics and vids and screen savers n stuff. If you save them to somewhere on your PC, connect the P900 and (viewing in my computer)open your folder you've saved them in one side and (with the folder button open), drag and drop the saved pics or vids etc to the correct folder on your phone (ie memory stick->video for vids).

Sorry if you know all this, but if you didn't it'll save me doing it later, plus someone else might want to know
Old 01 January 2004, 08:17 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

James
Nice 1 cheers
Old 01 January 2004, 03:14 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a P900.....it's "The Bomb". I previously had a P800, which although excellent had some serious flaws. The 900 seems to have addressed these, and is somehow very "play-with-able" into the bargain. If I leave it anywhere, people keep picking it up to press the buttons.

Didn't like V-Rally....can't get the hang of it. Sorry.

Have a 64Mb Memory Stick Duo ( the phone won't take more than 128Mb, by the way, so don't save up and buy the 512Mb one cos the phone will just barf on it...that's why it's memory stick duo pro and not memory stick duo) and can get 4 episodes of Family Guy onto the phone for watching on the train. Resent paying for the Packet Video software, though: NOT happy about that.

Waggy.....if your phone is not fully configured, and is from Vodafone, take it into your local shop and tell them. You will probably want to leave it with them for 30mins or so, so go grab a coffee and when you come back they will have fully reconfigured the phone for you. Please note, it's worth backing up your contacts and any files you want to keep and then resetting it first, as they will want to reset the phone anyway.

Worth it to have it all configured, though

Issues:
Memory Stick DUO. Typical Sony trying to push a non-standard format. It's expensive, slow, and generally I resent having to buy yet MORE media

MP3 playback: STILL no utility included for managing MP3s onto the phone, especially if you wish to re-encode them. There is a wealth of software out there on the net. Why can't Sony come to some arrangement with someone like "music match" or similar? Then it can update your MP3s when you syncronise, as opposed to having to sit there and wait like a muppet.

Headset: This lets the phone down a fair bit in terms of quality, uses a fairly non-standard connector (though not that unusual, I must admit) and is not especially comfortable, and only has one button on it. Considering that this is the same company that makes my minidiscman, which is 5 years older, has a full remote control on the headphones, sounds brilliant and can be comfortably worn for hours, I consider the headset that comes with the P900 a little unacceptable.

Wish list:
I would like a Minidisc player with Bluetooth support. It could stream audio to the phone and its headset, and could use the minidisc drive as data storage too. Sony has a very cheap, reliable and compact data media in Minidisc, which they are turning their back on in favour of Memory Stick (yuk).

P900 is, IMHO the best phone on the market at the moment. The Nokia seems a little better constructed, and they have a "PDA" solution on the way which might be better, but currently the P900 decimates all in terms of usability, flexibility and compactness. Price is a bit high, but most service providers willl absorb the £500 retail price of the handset.
I am very pleased with mine, and eagerly await the P1000

[Edited by Turbo_Steve - 1/1/2004 3:55:56 PM]
Old 01 January 2004, 05:13 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Yes, must add myself to the list of people who are more than happy with this phone, think it's awesome/dogs *********, etc. Only problem I have had with mine so far is its occasional refusal to hold onto its bluetooth recognition settings for the Plantronics headset that I use.

Just got the phone swapped, waiting for the battery to charge up.

This is my 3rd Sony phone (Z5, Z7, P900)and each product has surpassed my expectations when I have had it. The nice thing about this phone and the other Sony items (for me anyway) is that it/they have enabled me not to have to follow the Nokia herd

Do we want to revisit this thread from time to time as we find out more re the phone? Sites that do good stuff/free stuff would be useful to know. Also anyone know any good web sites to get to via the phone other than Vodafone live?

Finally has anyone used the GPS TrafficMaster type product yet? Feedback most welcome.

Cheers

WB
Old 03 January 2004, 08:00 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

turbo-steve
I am just starting to get to grips with phone and conectivity.Since installing v-rally on mem stick every time i tried to take a picture with cam it just came up mem full.I tried countless times to uninstall the game keeps giving program errors.I decided to back up phone to pc,i backed up c and d drives on phone.My idea then was to format the phone,but first i tried uninstalling the game again and it worked.I can now use camera facility.I dont understand as there was plenty of space on the mem stick.
Can you help me with these questions please,
1.Whats the mem stick duo adaptor for?
2.Any suggestions for in car install
3.How do i transfer music from my lap top to my p900
4.Silly one this but i cant find it in any menu,How do i configure call waiting.
I have loads more but if you or any1 else can be any help on these it will be a start.
Thank you
Old 04 January 2004, 09:00 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

up ya go
Old 04 January 2004, 02:50 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Chances are that V-Rally had used all the phones "operational" memory (rather than "storage" memory) so the phone didn't have anywhere to store the temporary files when it took the picture. I suspect a restart of the phone would have solved the problem. If not, it is possible V-Rally simply wasn't installed correctly.

The Memory Stick Duo Adaptor is to let you use Memory Stick Duo's in a normal Memory Stick slot...eg. a Sonly Vaio laptop or Sony Memory Stick Reader or even a Sony MP3 player that uses memory stick.

For the In Car install I would go for the Sony Ericsson Bluetooth car kit. You simply get in the car with the phone in your pocket and it's connected. You just press call, say the name of the person you want to call, and it does so. Superb. It even uses the HiFi speakers, and mutes the stereo. I haven't got one yet, but they are meant to be the dogs danglies.

Transferring Music . Hah! See my bugbears above! Assuming you already have a collection of MP3s, you will need to connect your phone to the laptop using the docking station. Then Double click on the "My P900" icon on the desktop, and browse to the music folder. You can then simply copy files into this folder for playback, or use as ringtones. As I mentioned, Ericsson should really sort it out and ship some software that lets you convert bit-rates for smaller MP3s, and manage the MP3s and copying onto the P900. Or at least develop a winamp / music match / media player plugin that does the same.

Call waiting is in the "Phone" application (3rd from left at top of screen) and then select "Edit, Preferences, Call Waiting". Bet you thought it was harder than that

Good luck: let me know how you get on.
Old 04 January 2004, 04:39 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Turbo-steve

Call waiting sorted,cant beleive i didnt find it.
I will have to get car kit sorted next week.
Now have wicked chilli peppers ring tone.

Thanks very much mate.
Any thing else you discover or think would be usefull to us,add to this thread please,if you have time