Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any ** Slayer / Megadeth / Anthrax ** Rock fans out there?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 12:01 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondered how many of you guys listen to any these bands, either now or years back. Just bought Megadeths 'Peace sells..' for a measely £3.97 from Asda! Bloody good album with 'in my darkest hour' and 'mary jane'.

I'm more of an Anthrax person out the three, but got all their albums for varying reason.
Old 31 December 2003, 12:15 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Bit of a metal fan, but just found this trio a bit like white noise.

Not comfortable to listen to, but I guess that's the point......
Old 31 December 2003, 12:18 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Anyone listen to Fields of the Nephilim? Very dark, but listenable (i.e. no noise) rock...I would like to hear some reviews as I only have 2 of their ablums but want to expand...
Old 31 December 2003, 08:24 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Wink

I used to listen to Slayer and Megadeth quite a bit! If I ever feel like releasing some tension I'll put "South of Heaven" on for a bit of a thrash. One word of warning, don't drive the Scooby while listening to this type of music - it will lead to a driving ban!

The strangest album I have ever bought was by a band called Obituary. The album was tastefully entitled "Slowly We Rot"!! The tracks seemed to have a medical theme... who could forget "Internal Bleeding", or that all time favorite "Blood Soaked"...

Mark.
Old 31 December 2003, 08:25 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've seen Anthrax live twice and have all their albums up to and including Stomp 442.

I guess I started to mellow after that one. The Sound of White noise is their best.

Steve
Old 31 December 2003, 08:32 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

big Metal fan here, everything from "classical metal" such as Van Den Plas and Symphony X to "classic metal" such as Megadeth and Metallica to the heavier stuff like Machine Head and Nevermore.

Bring the noise !
Old 31 December 2003, 08:55 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Bravo2zero - nail...head re:Metallica.

I went off them after the Black album but bought Loaded, ReLoaded etc. in the vain hope they would return to form. Not the case unfortunately St. Anger is crap IMO and not the throwback to early Metallica which reviewers were strongly hinting at. If you've got Sky, tune in to Scuzz (channel 471) as they regularly play the Ride The Lightning video and the brilliant Fade To Black. The latter had my missus screaming at me to turn the telly down so I grabbed the album and went off for a blat for an hour in the scoob. THAT is Metallica.
Old 31 December 2003, 09:01 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bravo, I couldn't agree more regarding the comment about Metallica! I have all of their albums up until the 'Black Album'. I've tried to listen to their new stuff but it just doesn't do it for me.

I think Megadeth were seriously underrated in their day! The albums, 'Peace Sells', 'Rust In Peace' and, my personal favorite, 'So Far, So Good, So What' are excellent. If you guys want to sample Megadeth, get this album:

Megadeth - Capitol Punishment: The Megadeth Years

I know it's a sin to buy a Greatest Hits album, but this has some of their best stuff...

Mark.

[Edited by Wuss - 12/31/2003 9:04:30 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 09:48 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is this a test I am a fan of bands like that, but I think you'll find you've made an interesting purchase because Mary Jane and In My Darkest Hour are on So Far, So Good, So What.

Seen Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer live...top notch

Haven't liked Metallica's stuff though since Loaded. Loaded with poo more like Prefer the early stuff. Dusted off an old Nuclear Assault tape the other day when I found it at my folks house

[Edited by Hanslow - 12/31/2003 9:50:26 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 09:54 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Nuclear Assault - didn't they do that classic "Hang the Pope?"
Old 31 December 2003, 09:55 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Indeed Superb

nice line in it....

Let's go to the vatican,
get him out of bed,
put a noose around his neck,
and hang him till he's dead.

Never got on top of the pops for some reason Or in the charts for that matter

[Edited by Hanslow - 12/31/2003 9:57:08 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 10:06 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

(followed by)

"Hang the Pope,Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, hang him with a f*****g rope

Hang the Pope,Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, Hang the Pope, hang him with a f*****g rope"
(repeat to fade)

Aah, the good 'ol days! Bands these days just can't write good deep, meaningful lyrics like that
Old 31 December 2003, 10:18 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

And it was only 43 seconds long, so at least if you didn't like it, it was over quick. Very thoughtful of bands in the old days
Old 31 December 2003, 10:50 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think 'Handle With Care' is one of my favorite albums of all time!

Another Metal Classic has to be the album, 'Extreme Aggression' by Kreator - it f**king rocks. The lyrics from the track 'Don't Trust' are supposed to epitomise teenage angst - priceless!

** The only truth I've heard
** Is the truth that I've spoken myself
** A pack of lies is all I get from
** anybody else
** Experience shows me I'm right
** Deceit is the only game in sight
** So be careful what you choose to
** believe
** You can't believe in nothing
** Insane to trust in anything
** So I don't trust in no one but myself

Perfect use of the English language in the last three lines as well!! Let's not forget the other 'angry' tracks like 'Betrayer' and 'Love us or Hate us'...

Mark.

[Edited by Wuss - 12/31/2003 10:55:56 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 11:12 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Sean Nuclear Assault, Slayer , Megadeth, Metallica, Mordred, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Sacred Reich, Suicidal Tendancies, plus loads more live.

Saw Lucuna Coil an Moonspell on the 27th at the Astoria, top gig.

Master of Muppets definitely Metellicas finest moment.

Lots of other great bands out thier such as Exodus, Flotsam and Jetsam ( Jason Newstead was there before Metallica), Bathory( Cool !), Morbid Angel, Prong, My Dying Bride, Kill II This.

This is the sort of thing I listen too when doing the washing up or hoovering ! Its certianly not safe driving music !

Any of you guys into the goth/industiral scene as I'm really into stuff like Nine Inch Nails,Ministry, Front 242, Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, VNV Nation, The Cult and Fields Of The Nephilim. My favourite band of all time being the Fields Of the Nephilim. Simply amazing

AllanB
Old 31 December 2003, 11:19 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Ahh Nuclear Assult. Did that crazy Mr Softee song " Ice Cream ! LOL. Also did that great song The Plague.

Just remebered a great Anthrax line :

" I drink three six packs just so i can look at your face " Class.

Anyone remember Lawnmower Deth. Totally superb, only they could have a song about Ray Reardon being a vampire and another about satanistic lawnmowers. Another class band was Acid Reign. Oooh also forget a band called Death, if you like this kind of havy stuff get thier album called Leprosy and listen to the song called Pull The Plug. Awesome riffs and on the same album Open Casket has some of the best drumming around.

I used to go to the Astoria on Fridays and Busbys ( now LA2) on Sundays for many many years. Looking back it was cringingly bad but at the time it was great. The girls were awesome too ;-)and often oput on a bit of a show !!

Oh making me feel old now.

AllanB
Old 31 December 2003, 11:22 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Smile

I listened to "Peace sells, but who's buying?" every day for 3 months when it came out!

Was also into Nuclear Assault, Destruction, Onslaught, EXE, Uncle Slam, Bathory, etc etc in my younger days.

Now I seem to prefer the likes of Tori Amos, but she does do a fantastic cover of Slayer's Rain in Blood on her Strange Little Girls album!

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 31 December 2003, 11:24 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Napalm Death anyone
Old 31 December 2003, 11:28 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Napalm Death ... Scum top album just never liked the vocals myself but they were quite funny !

Who do you reckon the best Metal band of all time were I'd have to go with Slayer.

AllanB
Old 31 December 2003, 11:29 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

There were vocals ?
Old 31 December 2003, 11:56 AM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have to agree that Megadeth were so under rated but produced some very good music. The Capital Punishment album really shows how the progressed as its in reverse chronological order...

BTW Metallica have not lost it, saw them at Earls Court a couple of weeks ago and they blew the place away, even the new stuff mixed in so well with things like Creeping Death and Master of Puppets. And yes I have listened to them since MAster of Puppets days so not a "New" Metallica fan.

Also Godsmack were brilliant, the albums are well worth a listen...

Steve

Old 31 December 2003, 12:58 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

I can't believe that there is not one mention on here about S.O.D !

Fecking awesome band, and Coroner !!

Skoosh.
Old 31 December 2003, 01:18 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Huge thrash fan - was there from the beginning!!

Suprised nobody has mentioned Testament yet - the last of the BIG 4 along with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer.

Also love death metal so bands like Obituary, Death, Cyncic, Malevolent Creation, Pestilence, At The Gates etc etc Of the norwegian scene check out a band called Hypocrisy for some truly stunning metal.

Old 31 December 2003, 02:53 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

God how did I forget Testament, seen them a few times. The New World Order album was awesome, lovered Eerie Inhabitants and Deciples of The Cross.

What about Metal Church, Corrosion Of Conformity, and Candlemass. Candlemass were great with that really rotund singer with the crazy hair that had a voice like Pavarotti ! VoiVod were also pretty good as were Danzig.

I'm please nobody has mentioned Iron Maiden yet as I never considered them real metal.

AllanB
Old 31 December 2003, 02:54 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Dave Mustane was a tw*t. Voivod, Obituary, Entombed, Slayer, Corrosion of Conformity, Death, and for those lighter moments, Metallica, DRI, Anthrax, Crass.......

These days...............anything goes as long as it p*sses the neighbours off or makes my right foot very heavy
Old 31 December 2003, 03:07 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Dave Mustaine was a **** but bloody funny at times.

I remember when the feud between Metallica and Megadeth ceased and they appeared at the same gig. Mustaine had a rant about the Amrican govt. and then Hetfield comes on and screams "**** politics lets rock!" We just looked at each other and thought, 'oh oh, the feud is back on!'

Going to a rock club tonight to see the new year in so hoping for some tunes from the good ol' days.

Oh yeah, don't think anyone has mentioned Carcass - true Brit metal pioneers. 'Heartwork' has to be one of the greatest metal albums of all time - 'Master of Puppets' being the best IMO.
Old 31 December 2003, 03:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I disagree. Maiden were superb up to and including Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Aces High is one of the best metal songs ever.

As we are listing obscure bands, anyone else remember Helloween. Good up until Kepper of the Seven Keys part 2.

Steve
Old 31 December 2003, 04:13 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL

Been up town this afternoon and my missus pointed out the Nuclear Assault - Game Over CD which I've been looking for for ages and it was only 7.99! She didn't even know about this thread

Superb, takes me back to being young again

Quick Reply: Any ** Slayer / Megadeth / Anthrax ** Rock fans out there?