Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good roads in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2004, 10:35 PM
MrsC_772
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of dragging Andy to Scotland for our hols this year. Current plan is to stay 2 or 3 days near Aviemore, a few nights on a boat on Loch Ness and a few days somewhere further south or west (Loch Lomond?).

Someone said there are some interesting roads in Western Scotland but I can't remember where exactly. Anyone on Scoobynet have any recommendations? If we'd need to stay overnight a couple more nights to appreciate them properly, any recommendations as to where?
Old 03 January 2004, 10:58 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Glencoe and the Trossachs are pleasant drives if the weather is half decent. B&B's recommended by the Tourist Information Centre are normally a good bet for accommodation for a night here and there.
Old 03 January 2004, 11:43 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they are all good

just dont run over the haggis
Old 03 January 2004, 11:49 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

be carefull in the trossachs rd can be dangerous

and also ayrshire and perth country rds mate and perth to inverness etc some scenery
Old 04 January 2004, 01:48 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There was a thread some time back in the Scottish Forum on this matter. I'm from Ireland but posted in support of the run from Inverness to Ullapool, it seemed to come out the winner for what that's worth. You have to take it easy at the Inverness end but once you get up beyond Garve it gets very good for about 15 miles. Good surface, very fast corners and good visibility ensuring that the safe speed is pretty near the flat out speed for many of the corners. Please take it easy in the twisty bits before Garve, I know it's tempting but visibility limits your speed such that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear and that's about 30mph on this part of the road.

SUL is available in Ullapool which is just as well as theoretical calculations show that speeds of 120mph+ may be possible even in the twisty part on the good bit. Traffic on the road is generally light but is determined to some degree by the Stornoway ferry which can spew out a lot of slow traffic. Early morning seems best and the ferry gets into Ullapool about 1000.

HOWEVER!! I have to say that it would seem that some of the bike mags, or something, have caught on to it. I was in Ullapool in September and it was like a bike show and the road (A835) also had a lot of bikes on it, a few behaving very badly indeed. It occurs to me that this activity and revenue potential is unlikely to escape the attentions of the local police. Road Policing for the Highlands is based at Dingwall (i.e. nearby) and while I've never seen the police on this road I can't help but think that it will soon come to their attention. Worth maybe making a couple of passes just to check the lay of the land.
Old 04 January 2004, 01:58 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The roads to/from Applecross take a lot to be beaten.

Applecross Inn makes a superb lunch spot after coming over the UK's steepest ascent (Alpine style hairpins!). After lunch, go north towards Shieldaig on a very smooth, open, empty & winding coastal road with great views...see here

I would go as far as to also suggest a few nights in Plockton (where Hamish Macbeth was filmed). The Haven Hotel in Plockton is good, and the village itself boasts a palm-tree lined main street with quite a few pubs to keep you refreshed on balmy summer nights.

Old 04 January 2004, 02:03 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I would also add that unless you want to be amongst the tourist traps, avoid Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, and Aviemore!

They're all the predictable haunts, and IMHO spoiled by being populated by FAR too many tourists.

Plockton, Wester Ross (Applecross), Western Isles, etc are all less touristy, and will give you a better flavour of Scotland. Going up the west side of Scotland, you'll also be able to benefit from driving through Glencoe, which is a spectacular drive as well.

Depends if you prefer the hustle bustle of tourist areas or not. I personally think you'll both prefer something more remote & "raw". You'll still see tourists in all these areas, but not the huge coach parties which I often feel cheapens the experience.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2004, 09:18 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

It is simly very hard to go wrong in western Scotland once you've punched through up past a line horizontal with say, Crainlarich, which usually means you've left behind the worst of the blue rinse and caravan brigade.
Old 04 January 2004, 11:23 AM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

The one's leading out of scotland are good, for obvious reasons.
Old 04 January 2004, 01:45 PM
MrsC_772
Scooby Newbie

We're thinking of going in May/early June. Would we avoid the hordes of coach tourists then? More importantly, would we avoid the infamous highland midges then (I'm one of those people bugs like to bite)?

Old 04 January 2004, 01:47 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it, V4!
Old 04 January 2004, 01:52 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

May/Early June will be quieter, but still full of coach parties in the popular areas.

Go as far north & west as you can for quiet & good driving roads, and a more memorable experience....
Old 04 January 2004, 02:29 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cracking site here

Some info here.

I'm sure JohnS will add something more here when he's around.

Although I agree that the Aviemore area will be busy with tourists, there's still heaps to do around there.

When you've settled on your rough itinerary, I'd recommend posting again in 'Scotland' asking for specific advice on where to stay, what to see etc.

Oh, one last thing ... don't forget to take a camera
Old 04 January 2004, 06:25 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can't remember who posted this but apologies for plagiarising, plajirsiaing,plagu... COPYING it :

http://www.remote.org/frederik/roadhog/scotland/

Might give you some pointers. The end of May is probably the best time to head for northern climes (no guarantees tho)while the weather is reasonable and before the midgies really get going. DO stock up on repellent, Jungle Formula or Shoo is about the best, altough I have heard good reports about the Avon stuff "Soft As (something-or-other)". Don't laugh at the name, the army boys use it, and if you are subjected to an attack in its severity you will quite happily plaster on any concoction.

Have a nice one!