Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driveway Problems, any answers please

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 12:49 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My neighbour is having a fancy drive put down of which I have rights of access over

While this is being done essentially I can’t get to my property because it is land locked by adjoining properties.

So at the movement I am walking over their land to get to mine, obviously I cant get my car to my property, there has been little consultation over the matter.

I have moaned at the neighbour
The company doing the work
The police

And the up shot is that because this is a not a permanent thing minimum 3 weeks, that I should put up and shut up.

It is at the stage where the surface has been printed and is awaiting washing off, that will be Thursday, then weather dependent Monday it will be lacquered and take three days to dry.

Well at this time of year that could go on for weeks to find a dry spell.

What Can I do to get proper access rights to my property?

Is it reasonable to ask for the surface to be boarded, and is it that critical in the process that vehicle are not driven on it anyway?
Old 14 January 2004, 01:31 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Agree it's annoying but I wouldn't take matters any further especially as it's not perminent. The last thing you want is a fully fledged neighbour dispute which could have consequences on any subsequent sale of the property.

Wait until it's finished then do exactly the same yourself to give him a taste of his own medicine

Old 14 January 2004, 01:33 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, as you have a right of way over the driveway it might also be that you are jointly responsible for the repair and maintenance also! I'd keep quiet
Old 14 January 2004, 01:51 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Did he let you know he was doing it, i.e. month or so of work, or did he do it without consultation? I agree that he could have chosen a better (warmer) time to do it, or coincide when you are on holiday or something. But don't go overboard on the dispute thing, it will back fire in the long term.
Old 14 January 2004, 02:34 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

chris singleton: Thanks for your reply it is most appreciated, as I am feeling more than just a little pissed off at the movement.

Oh on the deeds it is his driveway and I have right of vehicular and pedestrian access and egress.

Supertouring: we get on well with neighbour that’s paying to have his drive done, The house is owned by the old man in his seventies and his divorced daughter who lives with her partner.

Its really down to the old man spending his money how he wants.
Its abouh 75 feet long and is costing £10.5K, I have spoken to his daughters partner and he thinks he the old man is nuts spending all that money.

As for consultation he said he wanted it done last year and told us the day before they were coming and did we want to get our cars off the drive.

They scored up my drive with an angle grinder to get round a drain cover and now have but that right and only printed to the boundary.

The plan is this:-

Put planters at a point where he gets out of his car onto my property, so he stumbles over them.

I have already asked for my windows and frames to be cleaned by the drive contractors.

All I want to do is inconvenience him not fall out with him, as I feel that he has been inconsiderate.

He has no rights of access onto my property in the deeds and regularly uses my drive as a reversing point, but stopping doing this would be contentious.

[Edited by Ajax - 1/14/2004 2:36:19 PM]
Old 14 January 2004, 03:23 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

they are taking the p1ss i do this for a living this stuff is hard in 24 hours. 10k more like 2k
Old 14 January 2004, 03:28 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Be careful as if you want to sell your property you have to declare any neighbour disputes - that could affect a future sale!!

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2004, 04:01 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Paulwrxboro: The company my Son works for thought it would be about £6K tops, as it includes the paths etc.

Just been phoned by the Company MD that did the driveway, he spoke to the neighbour on my behalf and they are going to board over the drive, so that I can get proper access this weekend.

Least I can then get my Scooby out, as its been in the garage for two weeks.

Scooby96: Don’t think we will end up with a dispute, just want to be recognised as having a problem and not getting walked over.

The drive when sealed will slope to another neighbours and they will get the first free swimming pool as no proper drainage has been installed, probably the area of a house roof.

It at least will prove that its not just me that unhappy with the situation.

Paulwrxboro:
How long to dry the lacquer on these drive when it has been painted?

Old 14 January 2004, 04:05 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

10.5k!!!!! I can see why they are happy to take their time, to make it look like he got his money's worth.
Old 14 January 2004, 04:16 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Supertouring: I agree, but the Irony is.

He had a cracked concrete drive dug up, to replace it with a new drive with crazy paving printing.