Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question on insuring a new car....

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2004, 01:25 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just had a call from the garage saying my new car has arrived and I can collect next Saturday. He needs insurance papers for the new car so he can register and tax it (cherished transfer going on) on Friday.

Just rung my insurance (Norwich Union) and thet say they can issue cover on the new car for Friday, but I then won't be covered on my current car [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Has anyone on here had this problem?, it's not as if I actually need cover on the new car till Saturday when I collect it, but I still need cover on Friday and Saturday on the car I got

Seems a bit stoopid to me, maybe I got a dingbat receptionist?
Old 17 January 2004, 01:37 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

I'm with Norwich Union and asked them the same question. They said that it wasn't a problem for the day in question as they would cover both cars for a 24hour period.
Does your current certificate have your registration number or does it just say any car owned by you?
If it's the latter, then you will be able to tax the new car on the old certificate. If not, then Norwich Union will be reluctant to issue a new certificate whilst the old one is still current.

You could always drive around with no tax for the weekend!!!
Old 17 January 2004, 01:39 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Current certificate states the car and reg number, the dealer won't let a car go without tax though so doing it myself isn't an option

Why is everything so p0xy complicated? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 17 January 2004, 02:04 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night
Why dont the garage just TAX it on Saturday morning?
They will probably do it themselves anyway as many dealers can do it "in house" without having to nip to the post office?
The only thing making this different maybe the cherished transfer if this reg is on your old car, this once delayed a purchase for me, I ended up getting a standard reg issued and doing the cherished transfer as soon as the V5 came back.
I am not in the industry but assume you tax the car after it has been registered.
Old 17 January 2004, 02:04 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

More importantly, whats the new car?

Old 17 January 2004, 02:08 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Just get them to issue a certifacte to cover for the new car commencing at whatever time you want to pick it up. The dealership don't have to have an insurance certificate valid for the day they tax it because dealerships can tax cars in advance, they just need to prove that you have insurance valid for when you collect it.
Old 17 January 2004, 04:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Your insurance co. should be able to help if they can be bothered, as this is quite a common situation. If anyone is selling a car privately, they normally have to have cover on both the new car and the one they're selling.

When I got my scoob, as it was a Euro import, I couldn't drive it for a week until reg no and tax disk came through. Wasn't going to leave it on a driveway uninsured though. Then took a few weeks to sell the old car privately. Greenlight transferred the insurance to the scoob, and covered me TPFT on the old car for £25/week.

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2004, 06:16 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers, I'll give the ins co another ring on Monday, I think it may have been a p1ssed of cause I'm working Saturday bloke I spoke to when I rang.