Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moon Landings

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2004, 02:02 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1962 JFK said "America will put a man on the moon before the end of the decade" They said they did (I personally have never subscribed to that statement, along with thousands of americans.) They did all this in just eight years using what is today 40 year old technology, i.e. There is 10 times more processing power in an average home pc of today than those they used to "put a man on the moon". So how come with all of today's super computers, space know how, and the like, they can't manage to do it again for another 15 years??? Sounds very fishy to me .
dave
Old 17 January 2004, 03:34 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

The Americans never went to the moon, JFK's murder was not a conspiracy and Diana was bumped off, IMHO.
Old 17 January 2004, 03:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
they have to send some covert missions there before hand to put the junk from the TV studio up there.
Old 17 January 2004, 04:28 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Processing power is pretty irrelevant. With a bit of manual correction, you only need decent instruments and a pretty basic navigational computer - as you suggest any normal PC is more than good enough with the right software. The more difficult things are relaibly producing the motive power to get you up there and back, the life support for long periods (they aren't talking about going and coming straight back now, as I understand it) etc.

Again, all IMHO
Old 17 January 2004, 05:12 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Fair comment! but, they can launch a shuttle more or less on demand it's only 3 days!! to the moon (not rocket science is it)
dave. My point is, if they could do it(allegedley!) 40 years ago, why not now??
dave
Old 17 January 2004, 05:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

(not rocket science is it)
I think you'll find it is.. LOL
Old 17 January 2004, 06:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
The space shuttle can only survive in close earth orbit, it isnt protected suficiently from radiation to venture further.

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2004, 07:05 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

So how would a little capsule powered by kerosene made it to the moon and protected the astronout from radiation? If the shuttle couldnt do it because of this reason then..
Old 17 January 2004, 07:09 PM
yoza
BANNED

They did go, reason being my local Omega dealer told me so.

He said here you go, you guillable ****, this is as exact replica of the watch which was worn on the moon.

'Really', I said.

'Ill have it'.
Old 17 January 2004, 07:10 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
They have (allegedly) been to the Moon, there isnt anything there, why waste money going back

on another note, would you really trust Windows Software to get you to the moon and back

Old 17 January 2004, 07:12 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Never happened. All staged to boost moral of americans IMO
Old 17 January 2004, 07:21 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I believe they went to the moon. While the physics of a lot of the "they didn't go" claims are flawed what really convinces me is that the Russians never disputed that they got there. Just think about the politics at that time and you would realise that if the Russians had the least doubt they would have made a big thing from it. They also left a mirror on the moon that anyone with a suitable laser and detector can reflect light from, while that doesn't prove that there was a man there it does prove that they landed and deployed a mirror in a controlled manner.

As someone pointed out the basic maths of getting to the moon are pretty simple and don't require much in the way of processing power. The propulsion and life support systems are a different matter.

There is some discussion in the scientific journals that the current moon missions are a PR cover up for the withdrawal of the shuttle missions. They are withdrawing the shuttle to fund the future moon missions, they claim, but some people are saying that they need a nice way to cancel the shuttle without losing face. So, what looks like a massive expansion of the US space program might actually be a tactical retreat.
Old 17 January 2004, 07:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

on another note, would you really trust Windows Software to get you to the moon and back
Of course not. you'd use a Mac OS why do you think space exploration costs so much!!

Dan
Old 17 January 2004, 08:10 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

They haven't been to the moon, come on, they said "Here are some moon rocks", but they weren't made from green cheese.

Well, you can bash the Americans all you like. I for one am happy that at least the willing is there. Humans back to doing what they do best: Exploring.

Cheers

Ian
Old 17 January 2004, 08:22 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

yoza - you fell for that too eh?
Old 17 January 2004, 09:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I didn't get the watch - But my Aunty did get me the pen

The billion dollar pen that writes upside down, under water, over oil etc. etc.
The story goes that the russians took a pencil LOL

It is worth all this investment though... Just think how we'd manage without teflon saucepans

Mick
Old 18 January 2004, 02:23 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract
Smile

and Velcro...

Old 19 January 2004, 10:29 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Wink

We (the UK) landed on the moon in 1981!! It's just that no one noticed....

Old 19 January 2004, 11:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I you have ever stood in the VAB and seen a complete rocket/capsule assembly being worked on prior to a moonshot, and been up to the top of the VAB to see it all from the other aspect, Then you cannot help but realise the incredible complication of getting it all to work at all. Standing underneath it and realising that one rocket motor exhaust is the size of a small room further underlines it all.

You cannot help admiring the capabilities of the entire NASA operation with the space successes that they have achieved.

Les
Old 19 January 2004, 12:41 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

They have (allegedly) been to the Moon, there isnt anything there, why waste money going back
Except approx 1 million tonnes of helium 3 which is potentially worth about $4 billion per tonne....
Old 19 January 2004, 12:57 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

i.e. There is 10 times more processing power in an average home pc of today than those they used to "put a man on the moon".
Computing power has very little to do with the ability to get anywhere in the solar system, as the Viking Landers, Gallileo, Voyager probes demonstrate. It's just all working out the trajectory and, effects of gravity of other bodies and working out there positions at any one time. Solar eclipses, the return of Halleys comet were all worked out before the advent of computers.

It's just (albeit very complex) physics.

Geezer
Old 19 January 2004, 01:05 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Wink

I don't believe that the Americans landed men on the moon either. Then again I don't believe that the earth is round either- whenever you see a picture taken from "space" it always looks like a flat disc.
Old 19 January 2004, 01:38 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but sort of connected is the news that all space shuttle missions to repair and service the Hubble Telescope are to be scrapped which could put the telescope out of use in four years

So no more beautiful pics like this one, at least not from Hubble anyway:

The Eagle Nebula

[Edited by scoobychick - 1/19/2004 1:42:17 PM]
Old 19 January 2004, 02:02 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry

somone link to the thread last year when all this pathetic feeble minded twaddle about oooooh its a conspiracy we never went to the moon and shadows on the photos prove it crap,
was comprehensively blown away.
Never mind i'll go look myself.
Old 19 January 2004, 02:20 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ahhh found it
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=121499

nuff said
Old 19 January 2004, 02:37 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

There are perfectly good scientific reasons to explain away each bit of "conspiracy" evidence....

I'm amazed that people disputed it in the first place.... bunch of time wasters.
Old 19 January 2004, 02:45 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Matt, "feeble-minded" it might have seemed, but *nobody*, repeat *nobody*, repeat again *nobody* can adequately explain how Apollo was sufficiently shielded against the solar radiation for the duration of the Apollo trips - the single biggest concern of NASA today for a manned Moon base.

You might *think* they can, because you don't want to believe what you perceive as conspiracy nonsense, which is another matter entirely. But you're merely taking somebody else's word for it if you think this aspect has a fully satisfactory answer. Just so's you know....
Old 19 January 2004, 02:54 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

apart from the reportedly v.poor control of the lunar lander during testing, the strange shadows of the astronauts, exactly identical landscapes (in several shots), reflections on the helmets etc....IMHO the #1 reason that the Moon Landings never took place = the cotton suits and construction of Apollo would not have protected the astronauts in anyway from the lethal effects of the Van Allen Radiation Belt, hence they all would have died years ago (which they havent).

Neil
Old 19 January 2004, 03:02 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Matt, "feeble-minded" it might have seemed, but *nobody*, repeat *nobody*, repeat again *nobody* can adequately explain how Apollo was sufficiently shielded against the solar radiation for the duration of the Apollo trips
They weren't sufficiently shielded at all, but could get away with it for the 9 days the missions took. I think that each 'nuat got about 3 times the earth background of beta radiation. Cosmic rays were a bit of an **** though, they produced sintillations on retinas.

the single biggest concern of NASA today for a manned Moon base.
thats why they want to bury it...
Old 19 January 2004, 03:05 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Um, I think the landscapes all looked similar (i.e. flat) because they were all picked to ensure there wasn't anything big enough to damage the lunar module on landing (big rocks, big craters, big hills). The ground also had to be flat to enable the upper stage to be launched successfully - if it was at anything of an angle to the horizontal (the maximum angle could have been as small as 15 degrees), then the guys wouldn't have been coming home.

Quick Reply: Moon Landings