Bluetooth Hands free kit

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2004, 04:42 PM
ThePosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Bought one of the Sony Ericsson Bluetooth car kits but I not have a clue on fitting it.

Could anyone recommend someone in the Manchester area who fits these?

Cheers,

Posh
Old 18 January 2004, 04:54 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Safe & Sound
In Car Toys
Old 18 January 2004, 07:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I fitted one - took about an hour...

I bought the BlueTooth kit plus the optional HCE-16 for the stereo integration, worthwhile getting IMHO & the instructions below are those that would include this.

With the car kit, there are 4 wires but 2 are encased in plastic & are +ve & -ve. The yellow wire for the purposes of this is not needed.

I don't know what car you have either but for a classic, from the cabin thread the plastic-sleaved power lead through the bulk-head grommet just above the steering wheel, clip round the back of the engine bay with cable-ties and so to the battery. Use the electrical circular connectors supplied (strip wire first and then crimp with pliers if you haven't the right tool) for +ve & -ve. Don't attach until all installed, but they will bolt onto battery connectors. 10mm spanner required.

With the other end of the sleved cable, thread it round to the top rhs of the passenger footwell at the back. The BT box has velcro stickys, which when attached to the carpet, will not move. Also it will be out of site.

We then need to dismantle the centre panel and console covering the hand-brake. Hand-brake cover has 2 screws inside cassette box lid and comes off. Then prise apart the gear-stick cover and it will pop out. This then allows you to prise out the centre console including the stereo head unit.

Purchase a Scotch-Block connector and use this to attach the BLUE wire to the cigarette lighter wire. Use the wire that comes out the middle of the cigarette lighter unit as that is the +ve. It is in fact a switched positive and not constant and is what's needed.

As the stereo is now visible, you can pull out the block connector and put the HCE-16 in serial with it (essentially, you place this bit between the car loom and the stereo). Attach the power/data wire from the HCE-16 to the BT box. You may cut the yellow wire on the BT box, but I didn't just in case, just tidy it up and hide away.

2 things left. Microphone and control unit.

The microphone I just ran the wire under the dash, up the A-pillar behind the plastic and under the headlining until the mirror. Using the velcro sticky, it is attached just beside the mirror stem.

Control unit. Up to you where it goes I guess, but mine is just to the left of the handbrake. The lights on it are bright and I couldn't see anywhere on the dash I thought was suitable. As my centre console was already in pieces, it wasn't a problem to wire it there. I did cut a nick in the plastic to accomodate the wire. I also bought some more sticky pads as the one supplied was pretty unsticky IMHO.

It is not a hard job to do and you might as well save yourself £50 or whatever. There are only 3 wires to worry about and the rest of the stuff just clips in. HCE-16 is deffo worthwhile as it used the stereo speakers, not the tinny one supplied. At the worst, find a m8 to do it with you and give him a drink.

Old 18 January 2004, 10:59 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Puff can i ask where ya got your kit from and how much it cost?
Spooks
Old 19 January 2004, 02:04 PM
ThePosh
Scooby Regular

Puff - thanks for the fitting tips. It's for the missus in her new fiesta. I have had a look but don't have a clue where to start! Looks like I'll have to get someone to sort it out.

If it's anyuse to you I got mine from expansys - £117. They have about 10 more in stock I think.

Thanks,

Posh
Old 19 January 2004, 02:33 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Scan for the HCE16 & Expansys for the main bit. 30 & 117 respectively or thereabouts.