Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sony Digital Camera DSC-P10 - if you've got one can you try this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2004, 08:09 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Evening,

I'm trying to figure out whether my Sony Digital Camera (DSC P10) is faulty or not without having the bother of sending it back to Sony (and waiting for weeks plus a service charge if not faulty!) so I was wondering if anyone else out there with a DSC P10 could try something for me? (must be a DSC-P10).

If so read on....

Easy test, go into a fairly well lit room in your house, turn the flash off (flash off symbol appears), place the camera on a hard surface and take a photo (any res, any setting). On my DSC-P10, even if I am in a bright room (ie. halogen lit kitchen) with the camera on a hard surface, the 'shaking hand' symbol appears warning me that, apparently the camera is either not receiving enough light (impossible) or is not suported (again, impossible - its on a hard surface).

So, can someone else try this and let me know whether you get the same?

I'm pretty sure my light sensor is knackered on mine, at present this makes taking pictures indoors pointless as they look awful due to unnecessary flash

cheers in anticipation!

Neil

Old 18 January 2004, 08:21 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I don't have that camera but do have an earlier model. The flashing hand symbol on mine indicates that there is low light and that if you are hand holding you *may* get a blurred image (i.e. long shutter time).

It doesn't mean there isn't enough light, just that it is low light.

If you take a picture while the camera is supported with flash turned off, does it still take a good picture ?

It may well be different with that model, but that is what the manual for my one says.

A well lit room is actually quite dark as far as digital cameras (and film) is concerned. Our eyes adjust so it looks fairly bright. Difference between bright lit room and outdoors in bright sunshine is huge, something in the order of seven orders of magnitude difference (IIRC) but our eyes can handle it. Digital cameras can't so are geared to the high end first and the sensor does the best it can in low light (i.e. a lit room).

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 January 2004, 08:27 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Hi

Thanks for that Ian, most of the pics taken inside without a flash come out blurred with the Sony, BUT my cheap and nasty 5 year old Kodak digicam takes them fine inside without a flash?

Which is odd....

Neil
Old 18 January 2004, 08:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Check the lens specs - does the Kodak have a bigger aperture (ie. smaller f/ number available)? Fixed lenses often let in more light than zooms. Also compare the ISO equivalent sensitivity between the two - does the Kodak go up to, say, ISO 400 and the Sony only 200?
Old 18 January 2004, 09:25 PM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

other half has just got this camera,and must say we are really impressed with results,both inside and out,no problems at all.
Old 18 January 2004, 10:22 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Sony DSC - P9

And have same kind of problems you have.
I can be in an excellent lit room and the picture come out all dark and blury.
It wasnt a cheap camera, but it the worst one ive ever owned !

Ive just checked it and yes the little white hand comes up.....
Old 19 January 2004, 09:32 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

I know very little about cameras so thanks for the info - maybe I'll go back to the Kodak for shots inside.

Wish - I would agree with you - considering the cost of the camera (this was their flagship model when we bought it 6 months back) its pretty useless for inside pictures - most pictures are either blurred or overbright due to the flash (which also means horrible shadows)

I've emailed Sony now to ask their opinion

Will keep you posted

cheers
Neil