Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fostering - Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 12:43 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The worse half and me good self did be talking about this tonight - Seems like something we agree that we should at least give consideration to. Our kids are lucky - they have all the love and all the (i hope) happiness. Both our jobs are designed around - happy kids - happy partner - money. Now I think we have something to offer other kids who don't have the happyness (sp.) Thing is, we both know there are a load of saveable kids out there, but there may be a few psychotic lifers as well. Anyone been in the fostering game like to tell us the happy days and 'the other'
Old 27 January 2004, 07:48 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

No experience but something I have often thought about though. The wife isn't so keen.

Be interested to know how you get on.

Dave
Old 27 January 2004, 08:29 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

My mother-in-law is a very well known person within the fostering (and child care) industry. She has fostered for years and then went on to work for a fostering agency, and now runs one.

Right, I'll give you the basics and let you have more info later (after I have confirmed it)

If you are serious about it then you will need to speak to a fostering agency, either a gov or private. Then you will be 'vetted' (personality check, police checks etc.) to make sure you are suitable as a foster carer.

Then, as far as I am aware, you are assigned a child (oldest is under 16), the amount of money you receive for fostering is related to the child’s level of care. Some foster children are pleasant and kind and are in the care system for the wrong reason (parents, bad luck etc.) some however are in care because they are little scrots. As a reward, you usually receive more for the scrots. And I'll tell you now, I have heard horror stories. Setting your house on fire because they would not let them watch TV. Kicking you, pulling your hair, attacking you

I'm not trying to put you off but you need to be aware of these things, they all come with being a foster carer.

Where abouts in the country are you? This is certainly a big life change and not something to run into. Yes the money is good but it CAN change your entire life.

I'll grab some more info and let you know.

E-mail if you want and I'll have a word with the mother-in-law

Regards
Darren

[Edited by darlodge - 1/27/2004 8:30:30 AM]
Old 27 January 2004, 08:42 AM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Smile

FB

Just to let you know that my wife and I were approved as 'long term' foster carers for Barnados last year. We applied for basically the same reasons as you are giving.

There are several types of foster care and you must decide which is best for you and your family (long term, short term, emergency, respite etc). Everyone in your family must want this (and that includes your children if they are still living at home). We chose long term, as this (we hope) will be less disruptive on our family life and you get the chance to change a child's life for the better.

Originally we applied with Northamptonshire care services, but we found the training a little too P.C. for our liking, so we then applied to Barnados 8 to 18 project (who we have been very happy with so far).

We are still waiting for our children to arrive after 9 months! (this is where you can feel a little down hearted thinking of all the kids in care who could be living with you, as the process can take ages before they match you with any children - Don't you just love all the red tape).

Having been through the training (which takes approx 4 months with meetings every 2 weeks), I can honestly say that we were both taken aback by some of the things these kids can get up to We haven't been put of though and are looking forward to the day when we get a houseful of kids.

I suggest if you are interested, make the phone call. They will send someone round to have a chat with you and your family. You can then decide if you want to take things further.

Nick.
Old 27 January 2004, 11:45 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

fast bloke,
exellent idea, short term or long term fostering ???
only ask as i could give u 1st hand experience of fostering from the kids point of view,if u like that is ?

[Edited by Dazza01 - 1/27/2004 11:49:53 AM]
Old 27 January 2004, 01:04 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Then you will be 'vetted' (personality check, police checks etc.) to make sure you are suitable as a foster carer
yet any scum can have kids
Old 27 January 2004, 02:12 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

midget1500 - Quite true any body can have kids, but not all can keep them. Hence why some end up in care (fostered, care etc.)

The rules on fostering have got very tight recently and you really have to have something to offer to be able to be a fosterer. You're best chance (as suggested) as call someone and get them round for a chat. They can talk alot faster that we can type

Where abouts are you in the UK, I'll try and get the mother in law to see if there are any good social workers in your area.

Darren

[Edited by darlodge - 1/27/2004 2:13:03 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2004, 01:41 AM
avonvilla
Scooby Regular

fastbloke can you email me at steve@maceweb.com