Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

rave review, STS Illegal rave, 17/1/04

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 08:23 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

With January being notorious for its rave free weekends, STS deserve a big pat on the back for holding yet another free party right in the middle of the drought. Having developed a throughly unhealthy taste in STS parties last year, I was well up for this one and judging by how easily I filled up the car, so were my mates. In the end Paul Zykotik, J Sainsbury and Lady Angelic came up with us, with plenty more people going away dissapointed at being offered the boot. I need a bigger car!
The only reservation I had about the night was that it was 'taters outside. However I should have known not to doubt the organisers that run STS, they had everything in hand when the partyline changed mesages at around midnight. We were instructed to get to an industrial estate in Stevenage ASAP. We set off from Bedford Caine's place and headed over to the party. After a few calls to people already in the location for directions, we finally found the venue. The organisers had chosen the classic empty warehouse for their latest effort and after we had found a parking space we followed the bass and the ravers which led to the party. We stepped through the door which had been opened in the metal shutter and the sight that greeted us was nothing short of amazing.
The now familiar STS stack was located up the other end of the warehouse, straddled either side by two scaffolding towers supporting the lighting rig and UV cannon. on the ceiling were two railings on which hung several large and vivid back drops, some namechecking the event surrounded by Biohazard symbols, others offering helpful lifestyle suggestions such as "**** section 63" etc
Underneath, on the dancefloor were between 4-600 ravers all going for it in a manner that only a free party can create. To the side of the arena was the sly bar offering its usual bargains. Water was still 50p a bottle. Respect.
This time we had arrived relatively early and we still had most of the night to go by the time we got down to business. We were surrounded by familiar and not so familiar yet friendly faces and enveloped in a cracking atmosphere created by the top notch music.
In a change from last time I attended, the old skool jungle had been dropped from the music policy. This time it was techno from the word go and the crowd and I were loving every minute. In true underground style, it was murky and diverse, no "anthems" here. It was often a good hour in between tunes I recognised. Powerjam is the only one out of these that I can remember. Other than that it was techno as it should be. Obscure, minimalist and so good I cant describe it.
If that werent enough, the entertainment for the night had also been taken care of. Yes the STS performance artists were in full effect once again, helped by a can of petrol and a lighter, they performed the "Poi" and juggled outside and at the back of the arena as the ravers took time out to watch.
The best thing about the night though, was the way the pace was gradually increased as the rave drew on. When we arrived it was distinctly trance oriented, but sure enough it got harder and faster the more we danced and eventually the techno was edged out by the Gabba.
The only tune I can remember from this selection was "Cnutface" and that was because Paul Zykotic was screaming it at the top of his voice right next to me. Really enjoyed that part of the night.
However, the best part of the night was yet to come. At 6am the gabba was left to play out and was then followed by Bedford Caine's hardcore set.
Previous sets from this man had left me impressed with his technical ability and tune selection. I didnt go away disapointed this time either. His first tune was the awesome CLSM remix of "Faces of Angels" which got me very excited. What followed was a solid hour of tunes from every genre of the hardcore scene. Everything from the darker sounds of Elation recordings, full on breakbeat sessions, to 100% Edam chedder such as "Now is the time" was dropped. The crowd were lapping it up and the ever present STS Mosh pit was doing the business all the way through the set. Unfortunatly we had to leave halfway through Caine's set, but the last tune I heard him drop was CLSM's "Wicked MC". Perfect way to finish off a Wicked rave.
Things I liked:
PROPER old skool feel to the venue. I always wanted to go to a genuine warehouse party and now I have
The music. Dark and underground techno, together with a mint hardcore set. What more could you ask for?
The police. The only time I saw both them and the Fire Brigade was when they were accompanied by the organisers to check the fire escapes were clear. Apart from that, they left us to it. Respect.
Bedford Caine. For making me rush with the very first tune of his set.
Things I liked less:
Why cant every rave be like STS?
As always, I thoroughly enjoyed this party. I think I danced pretty much non stop for about 4-5 hours with only a small break for chocolate and crisps to keep me going till we left. Our exit was the only part of the night that wasnt 100% hardcore. We wimped out at a girly 7am due to people needing to work in the morning. The party showed no signs of letting up as we were leaving though and i'm reliably informed that they regularly go on till 4pm sunday afternoon. Hopefully we will be able to stay on longer next time. I know I didnt want to leave even though we had to. I'll have to make up for slacking off early by being the first in front of the stack at the next one. I'll see you there.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Paul Zykotic, J Sainsbury, (San Miguel crew) Lady Angelic, Bedford Caine, Lil kev, DJ Phick, Tenz (Wrap up warm crew), Baby D, MC Smiley (Off the wagon crew), Stompin Daz and everyone else who I have forgotten. Lastly, thanks again to the organisational collective for a blinding night out. 8)
Old 27 January 2004, 10:16 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

"Underneath, on the dancefloor were between 4-600 ravers all going for it in a manner that only a free party can create. To the side of the arena was the sly bar offering its usual bargains. Water was still 50p a bottle. Respect."

i hope u didn't drive home astraboy that water can knock the bag out of ye
Old 27 January 2004, 11:35 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

my girlfriends Bro goes clubbing but calls it a Rave. What the the diffs between the two. not really a clubbing person but i do know a club is not a rave.

Ray
Old 28 January 2004, 04:18 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Raving is 10 times better than clubbing. Its just a very pleasent atmosphere without the violence and alcohol. Ive been to so many now that ive lost count and i havent ever seen any trouble, + the music is very uplifting and naturally brings you up. Clubbing is nothing like a decent rave.
Old 28 January 2004, 08:50 AM
King RA
BANNED

Sounds wicked, how often are this events held?
Old 28 January 2004, 09:14 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

www.squatjuice.com
Old 28 January 2004, 10:13 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL! Just found this!!!