Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO Yoza, more Omega stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 06:40 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gather you're a bit of a watch guru Yoza. What with recent threads, i'm really coming round to the idea of further racking my credit card up with a new watch. Now torn between the Seamaster 'James Bond' (model 2531.80), the Seamaster 'Pierce Brosnan' (model 2254.50) or the Speedmaster 'Moon Watch' (model 3570.50).

From looking at the Omega website, and my trip to Ernest Jones's yesterday - would i be right in saying the Speedmaster above is actually pretty basic? Manually wound, no alarm, date or flashy features other than a stopwatch?

Are Speedmasters pretty accurate? Any idea how long it'll run for after a 'good winding up'? The Seamaster is cheaper, automatic and has the date on it.....but the Speedmaster is so much 'nicer' IMO.

Any tips or advice?
Old 28 January 2004, 08:08 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Damn, that made it harder for me to choose rather than easier, and I really can't afford both!
Old 28 January 2004, 10:48 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

This probably wont help very much either but can only echo that the Seamaster is a more practical every day watch than the Speedmaster. Believe it or nt my Seamaster came ffrom a charity shop so is 'only' a quartz midi, but I dont have to worry about winding it up and the glass doesnt scratch - I have even actually been diving wearing it! I would prefer a full sized automatic Seamaster and may change at some point, but for what I paid for it I can live with it lol.

Also being the new and proud owner of Nat21's old Speedmaster though I can say that is a fantastic watch (I have wanted a Moon Watch for ages) and certainly looks fantastic. Despite being understated it drew a lot of comment on Saturday night at a party I held which also happened to be the first time I wore it. It has been weird getting used to winding a watch up again and is a pain not have a date if you are used to one but as I dont intend to wear it every day I dont see this will be a problem. I guess my ideal with unlimited funds would be a Speedmaster Racing edition which is both full size and Automatic and maybe in a few years I will upgrade to something like that.

Regards

Robin
Old 28 January 2004, 10:59 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

iwan,

i looked at those and picked the 2254.5.

imo the black is a classier colour, the full iluminated hands look smarter than the stubby "old style" and are easier to see in the dark and the date is more subtle being on a black background it doesnt stand out like the white boxed date on the old watch.

just a smarter watch imo.

generaly its a good watch and i have no idea what you would need to do to scratch the glass? i have wacked mine on brick, metal, gardening tools! etc and its mint still!
Old 28 January 2004, 11:40 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers all. I think i'd prefer the Speedmaster but the Seamaster is probably the more practical option....still doesn't help me decide!

You're pretty brave diving with an Omega, my G-Shock used to get severely hammered when i was into tech diving - probably all the rusty shipwrecks i used to rummage around in. I'd use a cheap G-Shock for the underwater stuff and a Seamaster for posing around afterwards!
Old 28 January 2004, 12:40 PM
yoza
BANNED

I would buy a Breitling Avenger Seawolf.

Or a pre-owned SuperOcean professional.

Check the prices, check the specs.

I have problems buying 'NEW' watches at the moment. There are far to many secondwrist watches available at a fraction of the new price. As for buying an Omega SeaMaster, new, on your credit card and from this country, you must be as daft as me! Remember the watch your talking about is £650-£700 new in the States.

My SeaMaster GMT had a fiddley locking clasp on the bracelet which I found opened when you moved your hand. The release button could be depressed by your wrist and the watch would open.

My Moon watch has a plastic face, so no good for you, if you knock your watches about abit.

So its the SeaMaster Professional, auto, full size, which I would advise you to purchase out of the three you mentioned.
They are very rugged, and the clasps are second to none.

The amount of people on here who are interested in buying a SeaMaster or prestige watch is quite large. Have you ever thought of starting a watch 'group buy thread'. Then ask Tiggers, or whoever may be going, to purchase the watches on one thier trips to America? Just a thought.

Later Yoza.(whos in a Breitling mood at the mo)

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2004, 01:54 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, all good points...

It was only the watch i use for going diving that got all beaten up - i'm usually pretty careful with my Seiko Kinetic. So the plastic face on the Speedmaster wouldn't be a problem, besides you can polish scratches out of plastic can't you?

Aaaargh, i can't decide, it may come down to price in the end. Blitzwatches have both at fairly good prices for the UK, and they just offered an addition £60 + free delivery off 2 moon watches (a mate is also interested).

I think i'll have to put some more thought into it and keep my ears open for anyone going to the states.

Cheers.