Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

4WD could be an advantage in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 01:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You know it would be kind of useful if you could stick an Impreza into reverse when travelling forward at up to 10mph. This would be pretty useful for those snowy, 'oh god it won't stop' junction moments! Fair enough nailing it in reverse under such circustmances wouldn't be the most controlled movement ever but preferable being T-boned at 30mph if you cross the junction. The 4wd working in reverse would also help a lot to slow the car. Any thoughts? Agree/Disagree?
Old 29 January 2004, 01:39 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

We have tested this theory in a trials car. Having blasted up a 45 degree muddy slope as soon as they started to lose traction all the cars were then sliding back down the mud at about 30 mph! We decided to try putting the car in forward and gun it as we slid down backwards and it didn't seem to have much effect other than covering us in mud!

I think the problem is that once friction had been overcome it makes negligable difference whether the tire is moving forwards or backwards.
Old 29 January 2004, 01:44 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As he says - if the tyres ain't gripping in one direction, there's not much reason for them to grip in the other direction either.

You could even add, with computer-designed tread patterns, you're worsening the situation
Old 29 January 2004, 01:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I thought that principle of every action has an equal and opposite reaction applied. Is this not why in tractor pulling then give it big wheel spins which as well as pulling the boggy chucks up a LOT of mud as well? Surely its got to be better than closing your eyes and waiting for the crunch
Old 29 January 2004, 02:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

equal and opposite reaction
True, but on ice with very low friction, if there is no traction then what the wheels are doing doesn't make a lot of difference.

I suppose there is the slight chance that the friction will heat things up and melt the ice, giving you sudden traction so that you fly backwards in to the guy behind - that would make an interesting insurance claim!
Old 29 January 2004, 02:08 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think tractor pulling is slightly different in that the burnouts they do will dig down to grippy soil. With a car on ice it will make little difference.

In fact in snow you would want the snow to bunch up on the front (or sides depending what you are doing ) of the tires so spinning them backwards would tend to dig away at the mounds of snow that are trying to slow you down!
Old 29 January 2004, 02:18 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

You could even add, with computer-designed tread patterns, you're worsening the situation
Totally agree... as was thinking that in reverse these poxy proxes with their stupid V water dispersing (aye right ) tread patterns are even sh1ter than going forwards

Fair enough nailing it in reverse under such circustmances
Glad you can 'nail yours into reverse....
I need to send my gearbox a feckin e-mail telling it to prepare itself for reverse

Old 29 January 2004, 02:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I suppose there is the slight chance that the friction will heat things up and melt the ice, giving you sudden traction so that you fly backwards in to the guy behind - that would make an interesting insurance claim!
LMAO It would

Sipie, you are right which is the point of the post. The scooby pretty much can't be put into reverse when moving forward which is why using the 4wd in the manner suggested isn't actually possible without giving your box some serious agro!
Old 29 January 2004, 11:40 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

giving your box some serious agro!
Ouch

Old 29 January 2004, 11:49 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
The problem is road tyres, which work by harnessing friction. When there ain't no fricion, there's no grip - full stop.

What you then need is mechanical grip, like chains or spikes, or mega chunky tyres (eg tractor pulling). Road tyre treads are only there to disperse water, got naff all to do with mechanical grip.

Richard.
Old 30 January 2004, 12:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I should have tried this with my XR3 when I had the chance

You could put into reverse whilst going forwards and 1st whilst going backwards and it never complained.

OK the gearbox broke later on - but that was 3rd....then 5th, coincidance? Yes! it was a Ford...sh*t happens