Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bought some of that RAIN-X stuff from Halfords...

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2004, 08:45 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm. Mixed results really.
Applied it to both my works van and girlfriends Ford Ka.
Unlike the old container which you had to apply with a separate cloth and was a bit messy,it's easy to apply now with the new 'all in one applicator'.
Wasn't over liberal with the application and followed the instructions to the letter (not hard I know) Took about 20mins for both vehicles.
Results? Well in heavy rain, driving at 60mph on a dual carriageway, it does it's job you really don't need to use your windscreen wipers. The rain just 'falls off' to the sides and you genuinely do get better visibility. Quite a novelty at first.
High speeds therefore no probs and it does a great job.
The problems occur however when tavelling at low speeds 30-40mph.
I found the speed isn't enough to get rid of all the rain so you have to use the wipers. But...you get wiper judder.Big time.
As everyone knows wiper judder is usually a result of windscreen contaminants. I was suprised that RAIN-X produced this problem, thought r&d would have been better and was a little disappointed.
If I used it again in the future I'd maybe just apply it to the edges on the windscreen not the whole.
To be honest though I don't think I'll bother. All I've got to do is figure out how to get the RAIN-X off to stop the wiper judder...Off to Halfords again to buy some cleaner...!
Old 02 February 2004, 08:50 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I found Rain-X a nuisance.

Remove it using newspaper and vinegar.

Good set of wipers and cleaning the wing mirrors before driving off cannot be beaten!
Old 02 February 2004, 08:52 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Yeah, shame really, seems like a good idea but just doesn't work. Sure it made someone a load of dough though.
Old 02 February 2004, 09:03 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Its worked fine on every car I've had at every speed Brilliant product IMHO.
Old 02 February 2004, 09:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have used it for years, had a few issues in the early years, but once I got the knack of it it has been fine. No need for wipers above about 35-40mph. Below that use the wipers, no judder, no problem.

The main thing is that the windscreen has to be spotlessly clean before you apply it. Halfords do a glass cutting compund which I always apply first and then usually give it a quick whipe over with some meths or other highly volatile solvent that won't leave a residue.

Apply a very thin coat, 1 teaspoon to do the whole windscreen. Leave for 10 mins or so then apply a second coat using about the same amount. Leave for another 10 mins and then buff the windscreen till is is smear free. Again the buffing of stage is critical, if you don't buff it enough the windscreen will smeer like a SOB if you use your wipers.
Old 02 February 2004, 09:11 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I did clean both windscreens before applying the stuff but thinking about it not the wipers. Maybe I'll give it one more go.
Old 02 February 2004, 09:33 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
try Rain Wizard which comes in an applicator that looks like some kind of sex toy- a lot less hassle than rain-x to apply and works better too.

At 80mph the wipers are redundant as the rain simply beads off the windscreen.

Had no wiper judder at all either

[Edited by NACRO - 2/2/2004 9:34:23 AM]
Old 02 February 2004, 09:51 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
write to Rain-X and see what they have to say... you might get a new car out of them! lol

Phil
Old 02 February 2004, 10:15 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Just read this again. Picked up on the Halfords more than the Rain-X. Halfords do their own rain repellant and glass cutter which is what I use. The first time I used Rain-X and wasn't impressed (7 or 8 years ago). The Halfords own stuff works well however.
Old 02 February 2004, 11:22 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

Rain-x, love the stuff, never had any problems except when i havent buffed the windscreen properly after aplying the stuff. Just got a set of PIAA silicone wiper blades, with these and the rain-x the results are brilliant IMO
Old 03 February 2004, 12:38 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Strange as it may seem, I just wax the windows when i wash the car. Does the same thing. Rain forms droplets and runs off. Result = no wipers at > 60..

Andy
Old 03 February 2004, 11:08 AM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Another fan of Rain-X

I love it, every car I get gets its windows done. don`t put it on motorcycle helmet visors as it takes the anti scratch coating off I don`t tend to put it on the windscreen as often as I should as I rarely go 70mph+

All in all great stuff
Old 03 February 2004, 11:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Strange I get a similar thing too SiDHEad....

I just autoglym the car every month or 2...but not the glass, now for some reason, the window have this "rain-X" effect

Must be the rain washing it onto the windows, or when I wash it...very odd indeed

wipers work fine too, but I don't really need them
Old 03 February 2004, 02:44 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Wink Rain-X

I found it smeared quite badly - Now I only use it on the side windows and headlights.

TONY
Old 03 February 2004, 03:28 PM
RUFocused
Scooby Regular

Don`t think RainX was originally intended for cars, think it was made for fighter jets which travel a bit faster than 70mph. Would be good though if it workrd ok at 30 mph.
Old 03 February 2004, 03:34 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Waxing windows is all well and good until you're facing bright sunlight, then the swirls from your cloth can seriously impair your vision. I'd be careful about doing that.

Like many others here, i thought Rain-X was great initially, but i soon got fed up with the judder issue. But let's face it, it was designed for jet fighters who don't usually pootle around at 70mph..!