Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

getting rid of furniture

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 11:34 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rid of furniture

a mate of mine wants rid of an old 3 piece suite. the sofa's a bit buggered (not TOO bad tho probably just needs a good clean) but the two chairs are in good condition. its all about 6 years old or so. so its useable, but i doubt anyone would want to buy it.

aside from cutting them up into pieces and taking them to the local dump, is there any way of him getting rid of them asap (preferably to benefit someone but they'd collect)?

im thinking salvation army, or some other charity organisation particularly those that re-home people etc etc would be a good cause?

has anyone done similar?

thanks!
Old 26 February 2004, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Check the yellow pages for local second hand furniture dealers. Got a couple in Loughborough and I have off loaded various bits of crap to them, a Dining table and chairs and also a knackered MDF set of drawers. They collected and gave me a few quid cash to boot. Otherwise put an add up in the local super market, most of them offer this service free, amazing what people will come and buy
Old 27 February 2004, 01:04 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

We've got an organisation called Annies Orphans here that collects old furniture. There's also a youth place that takes furniture that can be fixed or cleaned by youths doing community service I think. Then they use the money for local disabled groups I think.
Have a look in your local paper, yellow pages or phone your local council they might know of some places maybe?
Old 27 February 2004, 08:25 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Most charity shops or schemes will pick big stuff up, failing that you can contact your local council and ask for a special collection, they will arrange a time and send the bin lorry round for it free of charge,
Gary
Old 27 February 2004, 10:03 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Barnardos usually take stuff.....
...or most charity shops. Certainly in Edinburgh there is also a scheme called something like the "unwanted furniture initiative" which distributes your old furniture to those who are more needy.

Worth a call to your council or a look in Yellow Pages.