Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AAAAARRRGH! That FECKING Advert...

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 09:52 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AAAAARRRGH! That FECKING Advert...

...is driving me up the fecking pole!! It's not the motorcyclist who should be educated to look for the @rsehole loony driver with no fecking clue, but the @rsehole loony driver should LEARN TO FECKING DRIVE!!!!
Old 26 February 2004, 09:57 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Default Me too!

Me too! Although it's not in the same league as "this car was doing 35mph, if it was doing 30 it would have stopped..... here" which seems to have made a comeback recently!
Old 26 February 2004, 10:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is that the "now you see him" one??

Yeah, but wtf was the motorcyclist doing along side the car on single carriageway and a built up area???

I always thought that ad blamed the driver when it was more so the rider.
(and yes, I AM a biker). I know the majority of car drivers fail to check their blindspots, but as a biker you should know that your in their blind spot...the blame goes both ways!!

And I hate those rigid speed limit ads, speed is only dangerous when used to excess in the wrong conditions. I just wish that official bodies promoted the correct use of it, rather than plaster speed limits and cameras all over the place.

In reality the difference between stopping at 30 and 35 is purely down to the tyres and abilities of the driver to stop the car correctly.

eg. Road champ tyres, and ****e driver will take far longer to stop from 30mph than a good driver on Dunny's or Michelins etc driving at 40mph on a damp road. (assuming no ABS ).
Old 26 February 2004, 10:36 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

What I'd like to know about the advert is if the speeds mentioned are actual or indicated. Obviously if you are doing an indicated 30mph, you are actually doing nearer 27mph in most cases. Just curious
Old 26 February 2004, 10:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

good point

last time I was in a car being driven and montoring live ECU data, the actual speed was 5kph below the speedo reading, so yeah about 3mph under.

Makes you wonder if 3mph difference would be enough to have any effect.

Bets are if it did make a difference our cars would have regulary tested and calibrated speedometers like trucks!
Old 26 February 2004, 11:08 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Red face

How was the cardriver a loony in that ad? I see a lack of indication, but that is all. Let's face it - no-one but me indicates anyway

I lay the blame on the motorcyclist for bazzing up the outside when there is a junction on the right.

I can't say i check every single mirror before I turn right, because you don't expect some nutter to be doing that. But i guess that's the message of the advert. "Think: some **** might be trying to overtake you whilst you are turning".

Andy
Old 26 February 2004, 11:40 PM
i love scooby snacks
Scooby Regular

i think more annoying is the old car tax adverts where they would use old tax exempt vehicals being clamped. I was even in one of those groups that preview the adverts and give comments about them before it came out and pointed this out. Muppets
Old 27 February 2004, 06:58 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm a biker too, but I'm amazed at the number of motorcyclists that sit in my blind spot. Most people wouldnt even know they were there. What do they teach people now a days?

Also the 'this car was doing 35' has had its brakes screwed with, they disconnected the back brakes so the front would skid, watch the advert next time .............. why do they have to lie so much, same with the speeding figures! Most cars have ABS now anyway. But I do not advocate speeding in restricted areas. But lets see it how it really is.
STEVE.............

Last edited by r32; 27 February 2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 27 February 2004, 08:00 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I'm a biker too, but I'm amazed at the number of motorcyclists that sit in my blind spot. Most people wouldnt even know they were there. What do they teach people now a days?

Also the 'this car was doing 35' has had its brakes screwed with, they disconnected the back brakes so the front would skid, watch the advert next time .............. why do they have to lie so much, same with the speeding figures! Most cars have ABS now anyway. But I do not advocate speeding in restricted areas. But lets see it how it really is.
STEVE.............
I am not a biker but consider my self a 'biker friendly' motorist and pretty aware of whats going on around me. However, there is always the occasion when they do take you my surprise. However, an experienced biker is usually well aware of what is going on himself and is on a decent machine and at least has a chance to react if needed to. What is more concerning is the young lads on scooters who do not have a clue as to the rules of the road and usually travel in packs. They have no consideration of what is safe and are an accident waiting to happen.

As for the advert about the car at 35mph, I agree. It has been sensationalised and the majority of cars on the road today would stop 'on a dime' from 35 in comparison. I would like them to change tack towards proper maintenance of your vehicle and compare a car with working brakes and one with crappy brakes and show how that could make the difference. Especially, as has been mentioned, talking about breaking the limit by 5mph is a bit naughty when speedos are inaccurate etc.

Last edited by JohnMcC; 27 February 2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 27 February 2004, 08:14 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
How was the cardriver a loony in that ad? I see a lack of indication, but that is all. Let's face it - no-one but me indicates anyway

I lay the blame on the motorcyclist for bazzing up the outside when there is a junction on the right.

I can't say i check every single mirror before I turn right, because you don't expect some nutter to be doing that. But i guess that's the message of the advert. "Think: some **** might be trying to overtake you whilst you are turning".

Andy
This advert has been buggin me as well, and I have watched it closely and you can hear the indicator "ticking" prior to making the turn so they have got it completely wrong, it's the bloke on the bike overtaking a car in a built up area that is indicating to turn right that is in the wrong, the other one with the back brakes disconnected is crap as well, it is based on stopping figures from the late '50's when the Highway Code was written and people drove Morris Minors with cross ply tyres and drum brakes for fek sake!! a modern car with ABS and a switched on driver could/would stop in a quarter of that distance
Gary
Old 27 February 2004, 08:24 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What they don't mention in the advert is if the car was going 60mph it would have missed the kid completely!
Old 27 February 2004, 08:33 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

i think more annoying is the old car tax adverts where they would use old tax exempt vehicals being clamped
Still have to register it on a SORN or have a tax disc although the disc is free. If you have an "exempt" car and don't do one of these, you are still liable, that's the point of the advert, people will think their car is exempt and won't bother doing either, now they will get fined for doing so.
Old 27 February 2004, 08:34 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

What they don't mention in the advert is if the car was going 60mph it would have missed the kid completely!
An more importantly if we got the Green Cross Code man and Jimmy Savil back on TV, the kid would have known he shouldn't have being playing fecking football in the road in the first place

Last edited by OllyK; 27 February 2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 27 February 2004, 09:09 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The thing in noticed in the "now you see him" ad, when the car driver turns right into the side street there are 2 or 3 people crossing the road in front of him! If he didn't hit the bike he'd mow down several pedestrians instead!

Terrible advert.
Old 27 February 2004, 11:19 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Also if you watch the car turns right just as pedestrians are stepping onto the road to cross so the car should have waited anyway.

We had a discussion on here last year about that car with no back brakes.

Oooops just read the post before said the same thing

Last edited by Wurzel; 27 February 2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 27 February 2004, 11:29 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Wurzul:

Do you work for HP?! I'm off to there next week...

Steve.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

When I did my introl bike test thingy (can't remember what's it's called now), the lead bike instructor was an ex-police biker so knew his stuff. He said, most people he'd speak to after a bike/car collision said the same thing. ' I didn't see him '. My instructor then made the point of WHY he didn't see him. Bikers have to MAKE themselves seen, have to make themselves 'bigger' on the road etc. which is what I was taught. Even doing this, some car drivers STILL don't see you and they're the ones you have to look out for.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who's 'fault' it is, if you're on the bike yer gonna get hurt or killed. I've been in traffic and all of the sudden a bike flies past and I think '****'! I never saw him coming and then other times I see the bike coming through from way back. I belive I was looking at the mirror just as frequently on both occasions. Obviously the 2nd biker was better at making himself seen.

Take care out there.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:10 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

djuk THAT advert was filmed in a place not far from me, Marks Gate ! full of oiks and the sort of people that do tear up that road, they built a police station just to police that estate. They now have the biggest road humps in the world down the road, only 4x4 are able to use it. lmao.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:16 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I thought I heard the indicator ticking too!! Didn't see them switch it on though when i re-watched it
Old 27 February 2004, 12:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

He said, most people he'd speak to after a bike/car collision said the same thing. ' I didn't see him '
Hence SMIDSY
Old 27 February 2004, 12:33 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

That advert as people have said, you can hear the indicator ticking. So it IS the bikers fault.

The other ad, where the bike hits the "invisible" car. That gets my goat too. They are blaming the rider for not being seen! And in this case its NOT his fault.

Think the advertising people got the slogans on the ads switched!
Old 27 February 2004, 02:09 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Not seeing bikes at night?

I consider myself to be a very defensive driver. And I think the blame goes both ways, people can ride bikes badly, people can drive cars badly. I am very aware of bikes and pull over for them when I can, so they can zip on their way.
Doing about a 1,000 miles a week I have noticed this situation twice - once when driving a lorry and once when driving a car.
The situation is when it is night time and you are in a vehicle on a motorway/duel carridgeway which is fairly busy you check your mirrors a few times to see what is the closing distance of the traffic behind you. You can see the headlights of a car someway down the road in the lane you are going to pull into so you are just about to pull out..... Because the headlight of a bike is single the twin headlights of the car following closely behind the bike merge all three headlights into two. The bike headlight has replaced that of one of the cars, if you see what I mean. Your Brain registers one object the car. If there was more distance between the approaching bike and car then you would probably register them as two objects.
I bring this up because I feel that people that read bikes should be aware of this. As as a car driver I feel this is definately the worst situation for seeing a bike. So if you are on a bike and you have a car close behind you at night time on a duel carridgeway, someone about to pull out might only have registered the car behind you.
Has anyone else every occasionaly noticed this effect?

Best wishes
Steve

And before anyone moans. I have to be very very observant for my job and also be trained to a high standard behind the wheel. So it's not a case of me being lazy. I am not lazy on the road full stop.
Old 27 February 2004, 03:39 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Think where most people get caught out and possibly have conflicts with bikes is in queues on d/carriageways, your sitting there moving an inch a minute and all of a sudden ROAR as a bike goes flying up the middle, jeez near sh*t ma shorts a few times, my point is they are very easy to miss if they are in unusual places like blindspots and in between 2 lanes of traffic etc