Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Learning the guitar..................

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2004, 02:12 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Learning the guitar..................

ive been trying to learn the guitar myself over the past 2yrs and im still crap at it. whats the best way to learn to play?how did you learn?

ps anyone got any good blues riffs?

Last edited by Poor Guy; 27 February 2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 27 February 2004, 02:36 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

take loads of drugs, worked for hendrix!

seriously kinda in the same boat myself. Been playing a little longer and still think Im just a very average player. I think its hard to do it off your own back anyway, I have regular lessons which kinda helps but I think with anything you have to do the basics over and over (which is boring) but I believe is the key to mastering any instrument. I've had lessons in drumming and singing too (jack of all trades master of none! ) but you really learn by the amount of practice you do *in between* lessons which counts.

I do lots of scales now just to help my finger movement and what I really find useful if you can do is to play along with other people or just record stuff, it gives you a real enjoyment from it. And with scales its amazing how many songs have solos that incorpate major or pentatonic scales. Resource wise, well on the web I normally head over to www.guitartabs.cc for tab on just about any song you care to mention. I got this link a few weeks ago havent done anything with it but it looks interesting http://www.fastfingers.demon.co.uk/, a really useful book I got as well which is good and cheap is chips is http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...245224-7439812

Hey maybe we need a struggling muso forum where people can share their frustration with learning guitar/bass/keys/vocals and stuff on midi and recording!

Gary
Old 27 February 2004, 05:24 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I've been playing since i was 15 (i'm 31 now). i've been to america to study with some preety amazing teachers and i used to be a teacher myself for about 3 years. When i was still into music, i reached just about as high a level of technical competance as I could.

the old saying is unfortunately true...practice makes perfect. you can't master anything without doing it over and over again!

what i would suggest is get yourself some formal lessons. a good teacher is invaluable. so try and find one you are comfortable with that will teach you the things you want to know. dont settle for teachers that only want to show you the stuff they know/or try and force you to spend time learning to read music when all you want to do is play smoke on the water!!

once you've found a teacher you have to practice what they teach you, you have to be prepared to put serious hours in to progress significantly.

but this doesn't have to be as painfull as it sounds. most of my practice was done while watching the tv. i just used to sit there mindlessly playing scales and stuff over and over again, once you half know something it doesn't require your full attention to repeat it endlessly.

at the end of the day apart from some level of natural dexterity and talent, learning to play an instrument is about muscle memory. you have to do something thousands of times to force your muscles to learn this new behaviour and you also need your brain to specially grow all these funky new neural pathways to make the transition from consious learned behaviour to unconsious automatic behaviour.

dont know whether any of this stuff helps, but if you have anymore questions about learning/finding the right teacher etc. just let me know.
Old 27 February 2004, 06:03 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

It's already been said, but practice, practice and then more pratice.

Jamming with peeps better than yourself always helps too, it's a great way to get ideas and pick up hints and tips.

Getting a job in a guitar shop helps alot as well, where else can you get paid to jam with different peeps everyday and get payed for it?
Old 27 February 2004, 06:44 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

thankyou for that idea!

electro-music here i come.

ive just learnt a blues scale
Old 27 February 2004, 06:57 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

IMHO it is of utmost importance to get yourself a teacher to show you good technique.

ie if you are playing electric do you know how to keep all the other strings muted apart from the one you are playing. If you don't master these things you will always sound crap.

This wasn't obvious to me when I started.

There is no point spending hours practicing if you are doing it incorrectly !!

I been doing it for about 9 months now, still crap, but loads better than I was, mainly thanks to my tutor.

Last edited by russell hayward; 27 February 2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 27 February 2004, 07:14 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

looks like i need a tutor.
Old 27 February 2004, 09:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I first started,

I got my first real six-string, played it till my fingers bled.....
Old 27 February 2004, 10:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Did you buy it at the 5 and Dime?

I heard Jimmy quit and Jodie got married

I've been messing at the guitar for about the same time and still can't play anything. The landlord of my local is a very talented musician and plays guitar, mandolin, violin amongst many others and is teaching me in a very informal way (i.e we jam in the pub). So far we're just doing 12 bar blues and tonight I actually felt like I was playing well. And that was in half an hour over a few beers rather than 2 years of trying to "teach" myself.