Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Commiserations to the British Drinker

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 11:50 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Commiserations to the British Drinker

It looks like your prices are going to go up again.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...014887,00.html

It has been suggested that Mr Blunkett could be allowed to charge pubs, bars and clubs for policing and set drinks prices if the voluntary approach fails to end Britain's booze problems.
When will the govenrment learn that the reason Britain has a such a binge drink problem is due to its draconian antiquated drinking laws.

A guy comes home from work at about 7pm has dinner until 8ish then gets changed ready to go out for a few beers and has to squeeze them in in a tiny time window.

Hence he throws a few pints down his neck then on the way home gets picked on by a thug for no reason what so ever and hey presto a breach of the peace.

most of mainland europe and the US have 24 hour drinking, we don't seem to have a fraction of the drink related violence and disorders the UK has.

I can drink pretty much all day and all night if I wanted to.

Wake up Britain and come out of the dark ages.
Old 15 March 2004, 12:13 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much agree. Derby has varied closing time for most of the pubs which avoids everywhere emptying onto the streets at the same time.

I wonder if country or local pubs would have pay for policing? My local doesn't have any trouble and I know village pubs that have epic lock-ins till the wee hours.
Old 15 March 2004, 12:15 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

www.visitscotland.com
Old 15 March 2004, 12:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"A guy comes home from work at about 7pm has dinner until 8ish then gets changed ready to go out for a few beers and has to squeeze them in in a tiny time window."

lol- its not laws or hours its retards that think they have to drink pints before closing time that are the problem.

why can our chap have 1 pint and take his time over it?

T
Old 15 March 2004, 12:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Blunket has no vision - nuff said..

anyhoo everyone's getting geared up to bin labour at the next election - tossers
Old 15 March 2004, 12:32 PM
ChrisB

Good point Tiggs - maybe people should be restricted to Babycham until they realise a good night doesn't involving throwing up and having a fight over a kebab or taxi
Old 15 March 2004, 01:09 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

i agree witht the point about the drinking in such a short time scale.

i went to benidorm last year with all bars open till 8ish in morning. everyone there was off their face every single night. there were people laying out in the street so pissed they couldnt move, BUT.. in the 14 nights i did not see a single fight. honestly.

theres a lot to be said for longer opening hours because then everyone can find their own pace and everyone isnt kicked out at the same time.

i think it could have a positive effect if it was implemented. maybe they could trial it somewhere first???
Old 15 March 2004, 02:08 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

quote: "i went to benidorm last year with all bars open till 8ish in morning. everyone there was off their face every single night. there were people laying out in the street so pissed they couldnt move,"

I presume that was the English? Most people from civilised countries don't feel the need to booze themselves unconscious. The only sad cases I see getting like that are the English holidaymakers, luckilly they generally choose to do it at somewhere called "Linekers Bar" or similar, drinking pint after pint of "English" lager (ie Stella or some similar crap) in the company of similar chavs/neds while the locals and I laugh at them.

You see them walking around, obese, pasty, ugly looking primate types usually clad in England shirts with their deformed girlfriends and inbred looking sprogs. Why don't they just stay at home if they want to read the Sun, drink English beer and eat fried breakfasts? I tell you why, because they aren't content with merely polluting the atmosphere of the flea ridden cess pits they inhabit back in England, they want to share their filth with the rest of Europe.
Luckilly the wily Spaniards/Portuguese and Greeks (after all these low lives only seem to be able to visit a few countries) create ghettos for the English invaders which as they are short on brain cells and imagination the tosspots seem only too happy to stay in. Just a shame when the odd one gets out and starts to mess the rest of the place up.

Happy holidays.
Old 15 March 2004, 02:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

we should encourage binge drinking....let the morons kill themselves.

it wont trouble me, taking my time over a nice meal and a glass of red, if fools that think the only way to unwind is to consume pints and pints of beer in pubs that need giant haystacks on the door (theres a clue for you when you arrive at the pub)
Old 15 March 2004, 02:47 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wurzel,

I agree entirely.

I noticed a dramatic difference between The City and the rest of the country because the City somehow gets extended licensing hours. I worked in the City for 8 years and I can't remember seeing a single fight in the evening. I wish I could say the same about Bracknell, for example. Edinburgh is a far more pleasant place to be on a Friday or Saturday night than most English towns - despite hundreds of stag and hen parties. All because of slightly longer opening hours.

Here in Toronto most bars are open until 2.00am. I haven't even seen anyone staggering around drunk let alone picking a fight, including over the Christmas period.

I still find it staggering (no pun intended) that when they changed the licensing laws years ago, they made the times 11.00am to 11.00pm. Who the hell wants to drink at 11.00am? Why successive UK governments fixate on the 11.00pm drinking up time I don't know.

The UK will never get rid of it's binge drinking mentality until it extends opening hours.

Last edited by Jerome; 15 March 2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 15 March 2004, 07:33 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Personally it's far more fun to go for a meal and few drinks over a long period of time. The Europeans have got the right idea.

When in Prague last summer we sat in the square for hours and only had a few drinks. There was no rush, just beautiful weather, gorgeous women with superb atmosphere.
Old 15 March 2004, 07:49 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Question

What happened to the increased licensing hours that we were supposed to be getting for the last ten years? What is it that the Government are afraid of? I agree that in the short-term there will be as much, if not slightly more hassle caused by the idiots.
In the long-term though, people will get used to it. Instead of the kick-out concentration, it will be spread over the course of the evening / morning allowing the police to deal better and in time, the trouble will decrease. I've lived here in Germany for about 8-9 years now and have never seen Germans fight. The only time I have seen them fight is when a squaddie starts the trouble.