Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 11:47 AM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DAB digital radio question

Quick question peps,
I have really poor radio signal in my flat
Will digital radio resolve this? I know when digital TV came out there were certain areas that could only get one channel if that, as it is more of an all or nothing technology. Would this be the same senario for DAB radio?
Anyone here have an info??

Thanks
Old 29 March 2004, 12:22 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i think there is a map somewhere that shows DAB coverage. If you have a weak signal the sound will break up in a very annoying way. DAB coverage is sh*te in my office, but fine at home. In the office FM works better than DAB, although that's a bit dodgy as well. If you can be bothered, an outside aerial will probably solve the problem.
Old 29 March 2004, 12:53 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/covera...ch/default.asp ... and enter your postcode

One thing is that we've noticed (We have the Intempo DAB radio as a bedside set) is that the signal strength right in the corner of the bedroom is quite degraded (unacceptable) compared with moving the set just a few inches (literally) into the room

We chose the Intempo because, at the time, it was the only one with an alarm. Others might exist now though.

The sound quality is excellent - in fact it is so good that you start to hear things you never heard before - the background studio noises, the announcers turning their heads and not talking stright into the mike (very common on the Today prog on Radio 4)

Also, on speech programmes you are aware of the different sound levels of different presenters, I guess because a) the dynamic range is so good b) the guys on the mixer desk (if there is such a thing) aren't doing their job properly. This can actually be a bit annoying sometimes...

Only a few (more!) gripes with the Intempo:
- when the radio comes on due to the alarm, it comes on with a click and instant volume - it certainly wakes you up quick (our previous FM radio gently increased the volume)
- only four presets
- we took the first one back last week (4 months old) as the light behind the display started flickering badly...but John Lewis replaced it without question.

Overall, I'd recommend DAB
Old 29 March 2004, 01:00 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

IMO FM is still better sound quality than DAB, but not many people are going to notice and probably even fewer are going to care.
Old 29 March 2004, 01:17 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the replies.

I tried entering my postcode on the website and the all the channels I would hope to receive are there and more. However I live in a large flat complex and I'm worried that even though I'm in an area with good coverage, the building itself may degrade the signal. Is this going to be a problem?

LOL @ MartinM, I know who you feel, my partner used to wake up with a ear shattering default buzzer on her radio alarm clock! I Hated it so much, and I'm so glad it's gone now...
Old 29 March 2004, 02:21 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
IMO FM is still better sound quality than DAB, but not many people are going to notice and probably even fewer are going to care.
IMHO, I think that the DAB designers might take issue with the first part of that
..and I do too

MP - which one's gone...the partner or the alarm clock (or both )...and suggest you buy from eg John Lewis and just take it back if it's no good. I bought the Intempo from them on that understanding