Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employment law question?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 06:34 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Employment law question?

At the moment i work permanent nights, 11pm to 7:30am. I have done this for almost 3 years apart from last year when there wasn't enough work to justify nights between April and November. So i've been back on nights since Nov doing the same hours as before.
The new Boss wants to adjust our hours to 10pm - 6am. Me and another lad are really against it as we much prefer the old hours. Can they force us to do the all new hours? If so, how much notice must they provide?
I've been on the ACAS website, but i can't find the answer i want

Cheers
Old 29 March 2004, 07:35 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an expert, but i'd guess that a one-hour-earlier change to your start and finish times is a reasonable variation to your employment, unless you have good reason to keep your existing hours, in which case it would have to be considered (though not necessarily approved) for flexible working reasons.

John.
Old 30 March 2004, 06:57 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

can't see why it would make much difference - is he also giving you a 30 minutes shorter shift for the same money? as john says, i would have thought you would have to come up with a good reason as to why the new hours didn't suit you.
Old 30 March 2004, 07:52 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I see where you're both coming from.
My issue is that i don't live with my Lass, so after sleep, shower, tea and bits and pieces, i only get to see her for 3 hours during the week nights. If i start at 10pm then this reduces to 2. At the moment we often go to the cinema in the evening among other things, so time is short for these things. The 10:30 pm thing is a compromise on my part, i would like to think the boss will meet me there, but he's one of these who likes things his own way.
The other Lad with the issue has a 7 mile bike ride to work, so if the 10pm thing is enforced, he will be setting off to work at 9pm, which in his eyes is family time as he has kids, which is why he'll take 10:30 if he can.
Proper Charlie - yes, we will be recieving the same money! It makes no odds to me as i work an extra half hour most mornings for no extra pay anyway
Old 30 March 2004, 07:54 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Just thought whatt happens if the Footie goes to extra time
Old 30 March 2004, 09:04 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Try explaining what you've said above to him... after all, you'll not lose anything by doing so.

If he's reasonable, he may understand. Give it a go.

John.
Old 30 March 2004, 10:33 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

He can make you redundant and offer to hire you on the new terms - other than that he cannot vary your terms without your agreement. Look out though, cos if you hours changed last november then he could wriggle out of redundancy and by changing the terms again now he could give you the status of a permanent new employee - Does this make sense?
Old 31 March 2004, 08:06 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

he could wriggle out of redundancy and by changing the terms again now he could give you the status of a permanent new employee
He could only do that if he used the redundancy option last time to change the hours, otherwise a tribunal would hold that you've been continously employed & therefore eligible for redundancy.

Have you checked your contract of employment? We put a clause in our contracts stating there could be "reasonable variation" (or words to that effect) of both hours and place of work (nature of the business).

John.
Old 31 March 2004, 10:05 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
He can make you redundant and offer to hire you on the new terms - other than that he cannot vary your terms without your agreement.

I'm not sure that's true FB - I'm sure that, given enough notice, an employer can enforce changes to working hours etc.