Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had my first flying lesson today!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2004, 05:50 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Had my first flying lesson today!

Been meaning to do it for years and finally got around to doing so today when a friend dragged me along with him (he's flown before).

Went to Shoreham airport as it's only about 40 minutes away and doesn't have too many air traffic problems (i.e, my local flying schools are at Biggin Hill but this is a bit near Gatwick). Not cheap but an unforgetable experience.

Was absolutely s***ing myself when I first saw the plane (4 seater, single prop Piper) but after a while in the air and having a go on the controls I loved it - even stopped for a cup of tea at Goodwood before flying back again....It's amazing what you can see from about 4000 feet as well and today was so clear it was an added bonus.

Any other flyers here? I think I may be booking up for semi-regular lessons so any tips more than welcome!

Russ
Old 30 March 2004, 05:58 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

how much is that a go mate? is it per hour?

jamo
Old 30 March 2004, 06:11 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

It depends on a/ the plane (i.e a 2 seater Cessna is cheaper than a 4 seater Piper) b/ the time in the air and c/ how many landings and take-offs you make. I was in the air for about 2 hours today which is a long time - I flew for about 45 mins and this cost me £85 including the landing fee and this was a bit of a special price as they always do 'newbie' deals. The chap I was with paid about £130 I think for his stint. I think landing fees are about £13 at south coast airstrips.

I don't think that's too bad given how much driving lessons are now plus the cost of fuel and a qualified pilot is included....

Looks like I may need to sell a few of my old scooby spares to afford the next lessons though
Old 30 March 2004, 07:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Russ

You are dead right with the prices.I had a few lessons but found it a killer on the pocket. Coupled with making sure you get your hours in every month when you have your license must be a killer.

Agreed though a truly Exhilarating experience i have to say. I'll just have to stick with RC ones and the odd lesson now and again

If you have the readies then go for it, the buzz never goes

I met a bloke from London once who sold his house and moved to Staffordshire. With the money he got from living in Fulham he bought a house and a Piper Cub and he now flies to work in London
Old 30 March 2004, 08:06 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You're right, private flying can be very expensive. You have to think what you'd do with a licence if you ever got one too. Can't remember what the annual currency requirements are to maintain your licence but there are some so the costs are ongoing.

That said, if the bugs bites you then might not be able to stop yourself If you just want the odd "thrill" every now and then take at look at some of the places that give intro aerobatic lessons or more advanced stuff like formation and tailchasing - great fun

Never got a PPL myself although I racked up about 100hrs odd of light piston stuff during my elementary flying training with the RAF. Wife swore blind she'd never go flying with me so I decided not to bother it!
Old 31 March 2004, 08:40 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps. There's an added twist to me continuing flying too....I'm a diabetic (32 years old and otherwise physically fit etc.) I had naturally assumed I'd never get my European licence anyhow but the flying school yesterday said there may be a chance of me getting a U.K licence which restricts me to daytime flights within U.K airspace. They gave me a number of a 'flying doctor' who passes medicals etc. so I'll be contacting him in the next day or two.

TBH, I can never see me doing the hours year in, year out to justify the licence but it's one of those things I'd just love to achieve for myself - plus as you guys have already touched upon, the thrill is really quite something.....

Worst case scenario, I reckon I'll continue learning with an instructor and just fly when I feel like it with him without the pressure of having to go for the licence and all that entails...

Cheers again.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad you enjoyed it Russboy. It is very expensive as you say but if you can manage it, why not. Get the maximum out of life while you can I say.

I once took my wife up in an RAF Dominie, she was quite enjoying it until I did a hooligan climbing break and landing at St Mawgan. She went on about that until long after we got home!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2004, 09:58 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I did a hooligan climbing break
In a Dominie? You must have had a good run-up first

Cheers
Kav
Old 31 March 2004, 05:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You'd be surprised how "slippery" the Dominie is Kav, goes very well!

Les
Old 31 March 2004, 07:51 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Talking

got a voucher for my first proper lesson at an airfield near me for my 40th birthday but i want to finish my yachmaster course first (peanuts in comparison)
Old 31 March 2004, 08:25 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

how not to land a plane
Old 01 April 2004, 07:20 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Leslie
You'd be surprised how "slippery" the Dominie is Kav, goes very well!

Les
Love 'em. I did about 15 hours in the right-hand seat when I was doing my flying training at Finningly - general airmanship stuff. I remember one pilot rolling his eyes in resignation when instructed by midland radar to climb another 2,000 feet. I think he said something like "That's going to take all bloody day!"

Cheers
Kav
Old 02 April 2004, 11:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You might even have flown with me then Kav, and they were not that bad!

Les
Old 02 April 2004, 11:40 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RussBoy
Any other flyers here?

Russ
Yes! Helicopters though
Old 02 April 2004, 02:29 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by topdog

Lol, thats not real surely????
Old 02 April 2004, 05:58 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Cool

I got my PPL when I was 17 (before I learnt to drive)...i was quite lucky in that I won a Flying Scholarship with the RAF whilst in 6th form. It was pretty basic PPL stuff, but it was 6 weeks flying virtually every day and out on the lash in the evening in Skegness!!! I also did some gliding at 16 (circuits and bumps) did one solo. Then onto the PPL stuff. Went solo after 8hrs 35mins and did a total of 41hrs of which about 18hrs were solo.

Was a great time, managed to keep flying on and off through University, but then I had to get a job, house etc and I couldn't afford to do both. I would love to go back to it.

I flew Cessna's 150's and the odd 172 out of Sherburn in Elmet near Leeds. It is great fun flying over your house etc, but I was only VFR and could only afford 1 hour blocks, so I didn't really get to do a right lot. If you can afford to do it, go for it - I would recommend doing IFR training as well as it will give you that bit more flexibility to go away for a day or two and not get stuck because of baddish weather.

Have you considered going to the USA to learn? If you can save up your pennies it's a bit cheaper - but not sure what the licence situation will be. I am a bit rusty on costs etc and I am sure that half the radio comms have changed.

Good luck - hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

Jamie

p.s. might have to look into this again......
Old 03 April 2004, 12:09 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Cheeky Jim]I would recommend doing IFR training as well as it will give you that bit more flexibility to go away for a day or two and not get stuck because of baddish weather.
QUOTE]

An instrument rating makes things very expensive, and I wouldn't worry about it unless you're very serious about flying.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:20 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cheeky Jim
Have you considered going to the USA to learn? If you can save up your pennies it's a bit cheaper - but not sure what the licence situation will be. I am a bit rusty on costs etc and I am sure that half the radio comms have changed.
Funny you should say that Jamie, as somebody else mentioned both the U.S and South Africa and the latter really appeals - both for a holiday and a bit of flying practice....I've obviously got to do a bit of investigating though, re: the different regs in different countries for flying as a diabetic....

Still also need to do a bit of convincing to the missus about these lessons though...she's already worked out how many pairs of shoes can be bought for the cost of each lesson....

Russ