Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cannabis Vs Alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 03:56 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannabis Vs Alcohol?

We were having this discussion at work today & it all got a bit heated in the end

I'm just interested to hear peoples opinions on the two, ranging from your opinion on the legal stance, the effects (during and after) and anything else you may feel is important
Old 31 March 2004, 04:02 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Well Ive done both.

None of my friends as died from alcohol that I know of. Two died as a direct result of drugs. Not cannabis I must adnit, but it was this substance that got them started and moved them onwards into the "harder" drug scene.

Dont really think it causes that much harm if taken moderatley but do think it can move people into the wrong circles as what happened to my mates.

Chip.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:03 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

prefer alcohol, just got far more resitance to it, too old for draw, dont need anything else to make me feel tired- use it for stress mainly now, for which it works well.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:04 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Well Ive done both.

None of my friends as died from alcohol that I know of. Two died as a direct result of drugs. Not cannabis I must adnit, but it was this substance that got them started and moved them onwards into the "harder" drug scene.

Dont really think it causes that much harm if taken moderatley but do think it can move people into the wrong circles as what happened to my mates.

Chip.
Chip, the same can be said for alcohol.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:05 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Cue massive debate where no one proves anything. None of my friends have died from drugs two have died from alcohol, blabidy blah etc. Everything in moderation.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:13 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I don't think people should have one without the other so many small towns full of agressive drunken tossers being sick and shouting a chucking out time so I think both should go together to keep every one calm a peacefull on a night out.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

They can both **** you up.

I don't think (other than the legal stance) you can say one is worse than the other.

Some say weed make users want a harder drug. I know people who want drugs because alcohol makes them want more than just being pissed.

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2004, 04:27 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

It has been proved time and time again that cannabis is not adictive, alcohol though is. If cannabis was addictive doctors and clinics would be prescribing drugs to counter the effects just as they do with antabuse tablets and others to counter the dt's with alcohol.

If anyone moves on to harder drugs from cannabis is because they want to.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:40 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Chip, the same can be said for alcohol.
Maybe, but we were talking cannabis here. I was just pointing out that its easy to be drawn into a heavier drugscene through taking cannabis. Most people dont get into heavier stuff but for the few that do it can, as I have said be fatal.

Saying that I suspect more people actually do die from alcholism than drugs. Just seems drugs make more heaslines than drink. Alcohol also plays a big part in motoring deaths as well so yes I admit acohol is probaly a lot more damaging.

Chip.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The knowledgable medics keep saying that Cannabis is very bad for you. There is the cancer risk of course and apparently it will cause brain damage eventually. It is also said that those who do use Cannabis are more likely to progress to harder drugs as well. Why do people use it anyway, is it to keep up with others or is it to bolster up their personalities. Seems like a poor means of escapism to me.

Of course alcohol can do the body harm it not taken in moderation. Trouble is, because it is addictive, people get hooked on it. That is up to the person concerned of course but really not worth screwing yourself up over. As Jye said, taken in moderation it can do you good, but if you become an alcoholic it will finish you off!

I wonder in what context the original question about Alcohol vs. Cannabis was intended though anyway.

Les
Old 31 March 2004, 04:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I wonder in what context the original question about Alcohol vs. Cannabis was intended though anyway.
As in 'which do you prefer'?
Old 31 March 2004, 04:48 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Maybe, but we were talking cannabis here. I was just pointing out that its easy to be drawn into a heavier drugscene through taking cannabis. Most people dont get into heavier stuff but for the few that do it can, as I have said be fatal.
Cough, bullsh1t, cough. Come on Chip, do you really believe that? Drawn in? WTF does that mean. Oh, nice stone wae that organic grass m8, time for the needle and some dodgy cut skag. Some people just have addictive personalities, nowt to do wae drugs and more to do wae peer pressure.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:50 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Leslie, dont be silly. Get me some facts to back up your urban myths. Brain damage lol

Why dont you try it Leslie, it wont kill you, trust me
Old 31 March 2004, 04:57 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just cos Im bored. Alcohol aint really natural, had to be discovered, brewed, fermented you name it. Heroin certainly aint. Why was cannabis put on this planet? Cannabis is perfectly natural and unadulterated in herbal form. Why do humans and some animals have THC receptors in their brain? A genetic fact going back millions of years. What did the American Indians smoke in thier peace pipes? Did they use alcohol? Why did the race who drank alcohol practically wipe them out? What happened to the Indians when they were introduced to alcohol?

edited to say I in no way encourage people to think for themselves in such matters

Last edited by Jye; 31 March 2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 31 March 2004, 04:59 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You like a bit of weed then, Jye LOL
Old 31 March 2004, 05:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this.

In order to get cannabis moved away from the "most dangerous" classification by the UN, where it was put in 1961, they need a recommendation from the World Health Organisation. So the World Health Organisation people wrote this report. Feathers were rather ruffled and the report was not officially published.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:01 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Cool

lol, I have been known to 'partake' Of course I never inhaled

Last edited by Jye; 31 March 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:04 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Hate how the yanks call it marijuana. Mary Jane just makes it more sensationalist. Its a herb ffs and its called Cannabis Indica or Sativa depending on latitude and plant classification, get your scientific 'facts' on the table or boog right off
Old 31 March 2004, 05:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

How does cannabis cause cancer, unless of course you were stupid enough to smoke it that is?

There are various benign methods of releasing the psychoactive substances it contains.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

NACRO uses a vapouriser or likes his cakes

I've had enough of this thread, its only going to go one way, like most on SN anyhow

Last edited by Jye; 31 March 2004 at 05:21 PM.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:23 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Actually I don't do either, but I know people who do. When I used it I always mixed it with tobacco, about the worst thing anyone could do.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:25 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Your choice, and of course I stress the word choice in here.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:25 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Saying that I suspect more people actually do die from alcholism than drugs
In answer to that:

Alcohol kills more people per year than every single drug put together. Times 1000

Personally I think it should be legal - people in general are considerably more chilled out when they are a cannabis user - you never see a cannabis user having a fight with another at closing time in the middle of the town.

I think if cannabis was legal from the year dot, peoples perceptions would be considerably different. Alcohol is one of the biggest killers in the world, fact. However its a nice taxable income (like cigarettes) so the Government would never rock the boat too much...

Personally I think people are very blinkered by cannabis, they see it as a footstep to harder drugs because this opinion is forced upon them by others.

Can't quite see where im going with this to be honest, however I admit to being a smoker & 'pro cannabis'.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:26 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

said m8
Old 31 March 2004, 05:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C
Can't quite see where im going with this to be honest
Yeah, that's one of the symptoms...
Old 31 March 2004, 05:30 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Short term mind

Now where did I put that spliff
Old 31 March 2004, 05:30 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I think I have to disagree with Cannabis not being addictive. From my experiences I know a lot of people who cant do without. Admittedly people who smoke it every night of the week but then the same can be said to alcohol. Blokey who has a glass of wine with his dinner is as likely to get addicted as blokey knocking back 5 pints a night down the boozer.

There are misconceptions towards both. I do agree that cannabis is a more placid drug and you dont see people starting fights etc. But I notice that people feel it is more ok to drive stoned than when drunk - when it can be just as bad.

I wouldnt like the UK to go the same way as Amsterdam. Its nice to have access to such a place but I would feel differently if it was on my doortstep.

Simon.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:35 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Disagree all you want P1, I'm talking medical fact. Psychological addiction, vast difference m8. Various studies done on people smoking cannabis and driving, even Performance Bikes did one. Read up on em, you might be surprised with the results. Amsterdam is far safer than the UK imo, never once felt drugs were a problem there, did do last weekend in Glasgow mind.
Old 31 March 2004, 05:35 PM
C
Scooby Regular

But I notice that people feel it is more ok to drive stoned than when drunk - when it can be just as bad.
That I dont agree with at all - no driving whatsoever!

Yeah, that's one of the symptoms...
Old 31 March 2004, 05:38 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Cough, bullsh1t, cough. Come on Chip, do you really believe that? Drawn in? WTF does that mean. Oh, nice stone wae that organic grass m8, time for the needle and some dodgy cut skag. Some people just have addictive personalities, nowt to do wae drugs and more to do wae peer pressure.
Jye,
When me and my mates were into that scene some 25 years ago the dealers that they were using were selling all types of gear. It was all too easy to get hold of anything that you wanted. I dropped out of it as things were getting very heavy concerning big time selling of stolen goods as well as the drugs. I'm talking of £100,000s in the early 80s.

When you mix with these people it's true that they want you to try something much harder to get you into that scene. A few did ,a few didnt try anything else. Out of those that did 2 of them are now dead. They didnt actually die directly from the heroin they were taking but both died in accidents whilst high on the stuff.

Maybe the drugs had no part in what happened to them. I dont know and never will but the coroner certainly seemed to think so.

So for you to say
Why dont you try it, it wont kill you, trust me
is just total and utter bollox. Would you really trust a drug dealer. I doubt it.

Chip.

Quick Reply: Cannabis Vs Alcohol?