Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is SN obsessed with asylum seekers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2004, 12:05 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is SN obsessed with asylum seekers?

OK time to speak up.

Why oh why are so many members of this board obsessed with the issue of asylum seekers in the UK. Even if you perceive them as a problem they really do represent a very small pecentage of the UK's population and far more financial burden is placed on the country by some of those native to it.

If you would actually stop and think for yourselves for a minute and step outside the realms of the gutter sensationalist press you'd soon realise that asylum seekers are simply being used as a tool to cover up many of the UK's genuine problems.

The trouble is for many people blaming people from a different creed or race for problems made mainly by their own creed or race is the easy option if you see what I'm getting at.

Discuss.

tiggers.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think its a reflection of the UK in general, not just SN, and its probably attributable to the amount of press coverage that has been given to asylum seekers recently. The concept of looking after your own first may appear selfish but it is still a sound principle that has served countries well since the beginning!
Old 01 April 2004, 12:13 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

ASSYLUM SEEKERS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. I COULD TELL YOU THE REAL PROBLEM BUT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS WITHOUT GETTING INTO TROUBLE.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:14 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

It's easier to blame others for our own shortcomings. It's hyped up in the media and at the the forefront of our minds when we don't want to shoulder the responsibility. Let's blame a minority.
I think people have more of a problem with illegal immigrants rather than genuine asylum seekers though.

Either that or we're all inherently racist!!

Jason
Old 01 April 2004, 12:14 PM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

"...busy giddy minds with foreign quarrels."

OK not quite 100% applicable, but the Bard has a comment for everything!

To answer the question, too many Daily Mail readers on here
Old 01 April 2004, 12:15 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

.....because it's full of sun reader meathead types who would have trouble making a roll up if brains were tobacco?
Old 01 April 2004, 12:15 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fed up with paying for people who are just milking our system.

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2004, 12:16 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It's illegal immigration that's the problem, not asylum seekers. Illegal immigrants trying to get through the back door pretending to be asylum seekers. Press whipping things into a frenzy just to sell more papers doesn't help, neither does the controls in the immigration process. etc.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:16 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

and fed up with the namby pamby left wing tree hugging bearded sandle wearing tossers who seem to think that the current problem is acceptable.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:19 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
and fed up with the namby pamby left wing tree hugging bearded sandle wearing tossers who seem to think that the current problem is acceptable.

gotta agree with you there illegal immigrants are the bigger problem not "genuine" asylum seekers................. mind you how many are "genuine"

hawk
Old 01 April 2004, 12:20 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

My personal issue with illegal immigrants is the fact that hundreds of thousands of people come into this country every year with no intention of bringing any skills or contributing to society. They cost god knows how much and we must be one of the most overpopulated countries in the World.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:20 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
fed up with paying for people who are just milking our system.
and that goes for anyone defrauding our benefits system - not just illegal immigrants. so before anyone bleeding heart liberals go on about me being racist i am not.

don't like paying vast amounts to the tax man in one form or another to have the **** taken by giving handouts to those who do not deserve them.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:24 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

The issue is about the attractiveness of the UK to them. If that wasn't the case why would there be heaps of them at Calais to jump on every train / lorry passing through ?
A genuine asylum seeker would seek shelter in the first safe haven available to them, which is unlikely to be the UK unless they swam here.
Are we too generous or others too harsh ?

D

Last edited by Dunk; 01 April 2004 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01 April 2004, 12:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

My problem with asylum seekers is the fact that they come to this country and get a free house and money every month WHICH I AND YOU ARE PAYING FOR EVERY MONTH

then when a genuine couple who hardly earn anything each month are having a kid and cant afford there own gaff they go on a waiting list.... WTF!!!!

discuss that. this country is screwed up beyond belief, others may look at britain and say how great we are helping others (and Im all for that) but we cant even be bothered to help our own out first
Old 01 April 2004, 12:29 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

HOW CAN ASSYLUM BE THE MAJOUR CAUSE OF THE UKS PROBLEMS??! IF THEY ARE GENUINE THEN THEY ARE USING THE UK AS A SAFE HOUSE.

WHEN IMMIGRATION WAS ENCOURAGED MANY YEARS AGO THATS WHERE THE PROBLEMS LIE, THIS JUST MAKES IT EASY FOR THE RELIGIOUS FINATICS (ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS) TO GET INTO THE UK, PRESENT DAY, THE PROBLEM IS WHEN THEY WERE ALLOWED TO ESTABLISH THEMSELVS MANY YEARS AGO, THINGS HAVE CHANGED, THEY HAVE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THEIR NEW POSITION. I WOULD LOVE TO AIR THE NEXT PROBLEM BUT I WILL BE BANNED IF I DO.

IF I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY I WOULD SAY FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND LET PEOPLE AIR THE REAL PROBLEMS AND TAKE ACTION BASED ON THIS.

IF CHAOS HAD THE CHANCE THE UK WOULD BE RUNNING LIKE A WELL OILED SHIP.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:36 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weapon69
They cost god knows how much and we must be one of the most overpopulated countries in the World.
you have no idea whether they are net contributors or beneficiaries from the tax/welfare system.

we are not one of the most over populated countries in the world. there are 48 more densely populated countries. the UK population growth is currently about 0.3% per annum.

nothing like being informed - is there?

Old 01 April 2004, 12:47 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

My personal issue with illegal immigrants is the fact that hundreds of thousands of people come into this country every year with no intention of bringing any skills or contributing to society. They cost god knows how much and we must be one of the most overpopulated countries in the World.
Do you actually have any proof of this, or did you just read it in the Daily Mail?

I know a good number of immigrants, and whilst there are lazy buggers among their ranks, in the main they're working extremely hard here doing jobs the indigenous population don't want to do. Most are costing the state nothing. And there are a load of immigrants, who, if properly managed and sensibly admitted, could do a hell of a lot of good for this country. These are often highly educated people who just want to work in a stable and tolerant country, though why they head for this damp little place, full of hate-filled intolerant xenophobes is quite beyond me.

You may find it hard to believe, but Britain has net MIGRATION of 2.2/1000 population (CIA World Factbook 2003). That's 132,000 people leaving OVER AND ABOVE any immigration. So guess what, we're no more overpopulated than we were ten or more years ago. Our cities are more crowded, true, but that's an effect of urbanisation rather than increased population.

If you want to have a go at someone or something, try attacking the lazy, workshy dole-scroungers we breed here in Blighty. Presumably those immigrants who come to scrounge off the system only do it because they see so many indigenous Brits on the dole or claiming incapacity in some form or other. Or you could lambast the huge number of divorcing couples who somehow seem unable to look after their own children and need state aid as a result.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I think most illegals try and work rather than claiming benefits which they wouldn't get in the first place.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:54 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i could list the Ghanaians, Romanians, Burundians, Yugoslavians and others that currently work for us, and in the main are more productive than their indolent native counterparts. but i don't really want to be brought down to that low level.
Old 01 April 2004, 12:59 PM
SteveLegacyToo
Scooby Regular

I've said it before, and I'll say it again! A section of this country (Who tend to read the Daily Mail) need someone or something to blame for whatever problems they have. In no particular order, scapegoats have been:

i) New Age travellers
ii) Asylum Seekers,
iii) For want of a better term Black people,
iv) Vietnamese boat People,
v) The Irish,
vi) People from the Indian subcontinent,
viii) Jews

The list goes on, but people ought to get a grip, any problems caused by immigration tend to be short lived, and overall, most groups contribute to the fabric of UK society, which I personally celebrate. Where else can you go out for a different meal every night for a week in most small towns and eat a different style of food each time?

We are, always have been, and I hope always will be a nation tolerant to differences and change.

Vive la difference, Oh no, I'm speaking French, Choas will have me strung up for that.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:04 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol i just remember it from the news. I'm not in the mood to play 'prove myself to scoobynet'. You're not exactly experts yourselves.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:07 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Well this is becoming very interesting isn't it?

I must say that I am always suspicious of people who automatically blame other creeds and cultures for the UK's problems when if they only opened their eyes and looked around they'd see that a large section of UK natives are a far larger burden on our society.

Still being bigoted seems to be a national pastime with much of the population both of the country and Scoobynet.

tiggers.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:07 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveLegacyToo

iv) Vietnamese boat People

Get a lot of these do we?????

Jason
Old 01 April 2004, 01:08 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not in the mood to play 'prove myself to scoobynet'.
that would be a rather a short game, wouldn't it?
Old 01 April 2004, 01:09 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

lol i just remember it from the news.
Must be true then
Old 01 April 2004, 01:10 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Its not hard, in this media led country to find fault with the way things are, as mentioned peeps focus on whats prominent in the news, so asylum/ immigration is this month/years hot topic... Gvnt love it as it distracts away from other areas (such as Iraq/Libiya) where a 'forceful policy' is being employed, but as usual has only been implimented for large scale economic reasons that feather leading politicians pockets.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:10 PM
SteveLegacyToo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaycee
Get a lot of these do we?????

Jason

When I were a lad (Mid 70's, the news was full of them!!

Perhaps if the Yanks didn't start/support/encourage wars in most countries in the world, people would be happy to stay at home!!
Old 01 April 2004, 01:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol i just remember it from the news. I'm not in the mood to play 'prove myself to scoobynet'. You're not exactly experts yourselves.
cracking, been dying to say that for a while now, just didnt know how to put it
Old 01 April 2004, 01:11 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

PC-Handbags LMAO

The news-is this not a reliable source of information? Didn't know you all had inside information and worked for the government
Old 01 April 2004, 01:14 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveLegacyToo
When I were a lad (Mid 70's, the news was full of them!!
Aaaaaah! I seem to recall John Craven's newsround spouting some bollocks about this circa 1979 and then an appeal on Blue Peter.
Send us your milk bottle tops and we can build them some nice shiny boats to travel over here in!!

Jason

Quick Reply: Why is SN obsessed with asylum seekers?