Tattoo : Help

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 06:43 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tattoo : Help

Hello

For various reasons, I have negotiated to get a tattoo of a very small heart with my wifes name in the middle.

I have never done anything like this, so:

1/ Is it going to hurt?!

2/ How small can it be?

3/ Any suggestions for location? Ankle is my favourite I think ...

4/ Anyone recommend a place around Crowborough / Tunbridge Wells?

5/ Am I going to feel out of place in such a seedy environment?!

Thanks!

Steve.
Old 02 April 2004, 07:01 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

For various reasons, I have negotiated to get a tattoo of a very small heart with my wifes name in the middle.

1/ Is it going to hurt?! outline hurts a bit but only for the first minute or so.

2/ How small can it be? as small as you want, but if you do it that small whats the point?

3/ Any suggestions for location? Ankle is my favourite I think ... ankle is one of the most painful iirc, cus its right next to the bone, chest is a good one and anywhere theres fat "muscle". lol

4/ Anyone recommend a place around Crowborough / Tunbridge Wells? nope sorry, just make sure its clean and get them to confirm they use fresh needles not sterelised.

5/ Am I going to feel out of place in such a seedy environment?! lol, not at all mate, there very good, Im a managre in a bank, but have a good part of my back tattood "dont ask" but its similar to japanese tribal.

Thanks! welcome!

Steve.
jamo
Old 02 April 2004, 07:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hello

1/ Is it going to hurt?!

2/ How small can it be?

3/ Any suggestions for location? Ankle is my favourite I think ...

5/ Am I going to feel out of place in such a seedy environment?!

Thanks!

Steve.
1. Not that bad but depends on how long it takes (the larger the tattoo and the more detail the longer it takes). If its close to a bone it will hurt more. Is like a continous scratching sensation.

2. As small as you want really, but then is there really any point if its the size of a 5p?

3. Ankle will hurt more than fleshy parts of your body.

4. Nope sorry

5. Most are setup like hospital surgeries these days and every professional. Then again depends where you go.

Simon.

P.S. Isnt a heart a little wussy for a bloke?
Old 02 April 2004, 07:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

If your wifes' name is Esmeralda it won't be small!!

Go for the arsé cheek, that way you can sit on her for a change.
Old 02 April 2004, 07:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Steve, I think the Gentle Geordie in TW is meant to be fairly good. If you're not getting it done right away I can email my brother and get him to ask his mates where they got theirs done.
Old 02 April 2004, 08:17 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Tattoo's feel like cat scratches while being done and then really bruised and stingy after, Ankle will hurt more than anywhere else, don't get a small piddly one, bigger is better imho and don't have it done unless you are completely sure because it's there forever don't forget!!!
Old 02 April 2004, 08:26 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Agree with Red_dog..
Just be careful you dont get the bug...once you get one its tempting to keep going back...

Well, it was for me.
Old 02 April 2004, 09:06 PM
rs125
Scooby Regular

scratches lol - yeah wright... ive never felt a scratch like it..

Please don't be put of by it but i had my first done about 3 months ago now and they f**king hurt mate ill tell you..call me a wimp but thats how it was for me...
Old 02 April 2004, 09:20 PM
dave_wrx_320
Scooby Regular

i find the bigger i have my tattoos the less they hurt, because your skin goes numb after the first hour, stay well away from the nipple coz it f**king stings!!! trust me!! also the shoulder blade, inside elbow, ankle and wrist. also hurt a bit, best place would proberly be on the top of you arm, as its not to bony and they wont hit to many veins so it shouldnt bleed alot
Old 02 April 2004, 09:40 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Is that any where near your ***
Old 02 April 2004, 09:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Is that any where near your ***

feker - you owe me a glass of wine now - and a packet of monitor wipes
Old 02 April 2004, 10:35 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Tattoos are the true mark of a chav.
Don't do it.
Old 02 April 2004, 10:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Are you sure getting your wife's name is sensible?

A guy I used to work with had a massive portrait of his wife done on his chest - fooking massive job that cost over a grand 12 years ago.

He caught her giving some guy a blow job in a pub car park a few months after and that was it!! Divorced, but stuck with the fat, ugly bitch on his chest for the rest of his natural.

She was fooking horrible and looks it on his chest despite it being a kind portrait.
Old 02 April 2004, 10:59 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Tattoos are the true mark of a chav.
Don't do it.
That's a sweeping statement if ever i saw one! Would you accuse a big beardy tatoo'd harley davidson rider of being a Chav!

As it happens, I have a tattoo and are in no way a Chav and used to get harrassed by the Chav's for being different and having long hair.

As far as it hurting, not really! I actually enjoyed it, very theraputic. Mine took about an hour and a half as I'd managed to design what turned out to be quite a complex tribal pattern

If *you* want one get one, if someone else wants you to get one and you're unsure, don't bother, it's you that has to wear it, especially if it is of something that you don't really want drawn on you. That's why I designed my own, I wanted something that was personal to me.

P.S. I have not regreted a moment of it

James
Old 03 April 2004, 01:04 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a few classes of people who get tattoos.

1) The lower classes (chavs) who seem to relish the prospect of getting tattoos in visble places. The more chavvy the person, the more visible it is. Namely, ranging in chavness from forearm (low-chav status) to fingers/neck (VERY chav!). Sadly for most in this category, they seem to favour very personal tattoos such that when their 6 month relationship with their 5th partner has broken up, they end up having to "adapt" their tattoos for the n'th time to try and erase all records of partner No.5.

2) The middle classes (not really chavs) who relish getting a tattoo, but are so ashamed of it, they get it done in a really non-visible place (buttock, ankle, shoulder) such that they can be "right-on" in certain company by having one, but be ever so respectable in other's company in that no-one need ever know.

3) The nouveau riche (Robbie Williams et al). More fool everyone else. This group can afford to get them removed at a later date anyway.

What IS the point. What's wrong with Letraset?
Old 03 April 2004, 08:37 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Thank you for your replies. It's half a joke as I do not wear a wedding ring, so I said I would get a small (VERY small) tattoo somewhere invisible. Hence I was thinking of my ankle.

Thankfully my wifes name is very short, and the name of a continent! So if the worst happens, I can just pledge my adoration for the place instead.

Because the tattoo will (if it happens) be in a very discreet place, I would hope that anyone who sees it would know me well enough to know that I'm not a "chav". Is that a scoobynet word?

Steve.
Old 03 April 2004, 08:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hello

Thank you for your replies. It's half a joke as I do not wear a wedding ring, so I said I would get a small (VERY small) tattoo somewhere invisible. Hence I was thinking of my ankle.

Thankfully my wifes name is very short, and the name of a continent! So if the worst happens, I can just pledge my adoration for the place instead.

Because the tattoo will (if it happens) be in a very discreet place, I would hope that anyone who sees it would know me well enough to know that I'm not a "chav". Is that a scoobynet word?

Steve.
Well Im guessing its not Europe or North America so I would put money on Asia?

Simon
Old 03 April 2004, 08:45 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes, it's Asia.

Her name is actually Joanna, and she is Polish. And through some extremely complex and bizarre linguistics the name gets shortened to "Asia" in Poland.

Steve.
Old 04 April 2004, 02:36 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Thank **** for that, i thought her name might of been Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Old 04 April 2004, 04:52 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ Buzzer..
Old 04 April 2004, 05:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I don't have or like tattoos but I don't have a problem with other people getting them if they want. All I'd say though, is don't you think having a heart with your wifes name on your ankle is a bit.............well...............gay Its mainly the ankle thing - that such a girly place to put one IMHO. Why not your chest or side of your arm (near top)?
Old 04 April 2004, 05:40 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Dont go with a heart mate!!!!
Just get her name done in a very nice font. If you want a discreet place try the base of your spine, despite what people say it doesnt hurt that much.

I agree with the hot cat scratch description but after a while it just gets numb.

Also avoid colours (keep it black) and dont put it any place wher the skin is likely to sag/expand a great deal (thats why small of the back is a good place).

To keep it looking good either keep it out of the sun or always cover it with v. high factor suncream.

Good luck.

Frenchboy (owner of 14hrs worth of arm tatoo - and no i'm not a chav i'm an IT Manager)
Old 04 April 2004, 06:15 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Originally Posted by Johnny50
Agree with Red_dog..
Just be careful you dont get the bug...once you get one its tempting to keep going back...

Well, it was for me.
Totally agree! Planning my next one. I've got 4 at the minute. Hurt most for me around my belly button and the top of my back was a killer!!

Lower back was pretty painless
Old 04 April 2004, 06:24 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
There seems to be a few classes of people who get tattoos.

1) The lower classes (chavs) who seem to relish the prospect of getting tattoos in visble places. The more chavvy the person, the more visible it is. Namely, ranging in chavness from forearm (low-chav status) to fingers/neck (VERY chav!). Sadly for most in this category, they seem to favour very personal tattoos such that when their 6 month relationship with their 5th partner has broken up, they end up having to "adapt" their tattoos for the n'th time to try and erase all records of partner No.5.

2) The middle classes (not really chavs) who relish getting a tattoo, but are so ashamed of it, they get it done in a really non-visible place (buttock, ankle, shoulder) such that they can be "right-on" in certain company by having one, but be ever so respectable in other's company in that no-one need ever know.

3) The nouveau riche (Robbie Williams et al). More fool everyone else. This group can afford to get them removed at a later date anyway.

What IS the point. What's wrong with Letraset?
That is really insulting to us tattood people! My other half has tattoo's on his lower arms, fingers, legs, chest, stomach and upper arms and he is in no way a chav!! Neither am I (I have 4 tat's, 3 that can be displayed if i'm wearing the right tops). If you don't like them then fine but don't go making sweeping statements about people who you don't know!
Old 04 April 2004, 06:43 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by red_dog104
Totally agree! Planning my next one. I've got 4 at the minute. Hurt most for me around my belly button and the top of my back was a killer!!

Lower back was pretty painless
Same as me...Have 3 at the moment, and due to get my next within the next month, although, its a cover up of my first tat, so in the end i`ll still have 3.

Oh..and i aint a chav either...honest
Old 04 April 2004, 06:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

That is really insulting to us tattood people! My other half has tattoo's on his lower arms, fingers, legs, chest, stomach and upper arms and he is in no way a chav!! Neither am I (I have 4 tat's, 3 that can be displayed if i'm wearing the right tops).
I suspect you and your better half are the exception to the rule
Certainly up here in Scotland, anyone with tattoos on their fingers are usually chavs. Never seen a non-chav with them.

If you don't like them then fine but don't go making sweeping statements about people who you don't know!
I don't know you, hence I can make sweeping generalisations based on what I see in the outside world Each to their own....it is a free world, and anyone can do & think what they like.

Last edited by imlach; 04 April 2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04 April 2004, 09:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

i have 2, one one each upper arm,

i wanted them i am not ashamed of them, and i dont care what other people think.

i learnt a lesson by having name in one, it got a coverup when i got divorced...

chav?? nope definatly not... white collar worker!!!

my wife has a tiny one on her shoulder i like it, but decided that 2 was enough, although some of the designs these days are fantastic..

its each to there own,

Mart
Old 04 April 2004, 09:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

That is really insulting to us tattood people! My other half has tattoo's on his lower arms, fingers, legs, chest, stomach and upper arms and he is in no way a chav!! Neither am I (I have 4 tat's, 3 that can be displayed if i'm wearing the right tops). If you don't like them then fine but don't go making sweeping statements about people who you don't know!
I'm with Imlach on this.

Guys with tattooed fingers and the like just look like they need a good wash.

Last edited by Spoon; 28 October 2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: To show Jye you can edit your mistakes.
Old 04 April 2004, 10:51 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Why not get her name tattooed in Chinese characters?

That way, if it goes belly up, you can just tell folk that it means "virile" or something!
Old 05 April 2004, 09:36 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Havent read all the replies but I have to say if your asking questions about it and you want it as small as possible you don't realy want one. When I was after my first one I went straight to the shop and 4 hours later it was done.

PS

A small hart on your ankle whats your partner called Alan ?

Quick Reply: Tattoo : Help