Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do I stop my friend from getting addicted to smoking

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 09:00 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I stop my friend from getting addicted to smoking

OK I have a 15 year old friend, who used to smoke and then she gave it up and vowed that she never would never start again.

Yet much to my dissapointment she has started again. I blame her cousin who smokes and who she hangs around with as she constantly offers her cigarettes and the fact that she is now trying to get into modelling.

Personally I think it is discusting, unattractive and can't stand the thought of her throwing money ar this ugly habbit.

Any advice on how to pursuade her that it's not worth it, before she gets hooked.

Ian
Old 25 April 2004, 09:03 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Yes be she is a very good "friend" of mine.
Old 25 April 2004, 09:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Tell her how much it's worrying you and how concerned you are for her and her future health, at least it's a slightly different approach than trying to preach.

I don't think anything puts me off a woman more than smoking. I find it disgusting, the smell puts me right off.

I never had a girlfriend that smoked and obviously my wife doesn't smoke. Unfortunatly it seems there is a big problem with the current crop of teenage girls.
A ban on smoking in public places would be a start as it might stop some of the fashion/social smokers.

Lee
Old 25 April 2004, 09:16 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatly it seems there is a big problem with the current crop of teenage girls.
It does seem to be more of a problem with girls by far, most of the "cool" and "hard" boys in my school don't even smoke. There is definately a downward trend in boys.

What I cannot understand though is six months ago, she didn't want to smoke again as she found the idea repulsive after giving up, yet what has changed. Personnality wise she is pretty much the same as she was.
Old 25 April 2004, 10:22 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Ask her to go visit a friend in hospital with you,then go to the cancer ward and look round as if looking for your friend,saying that you are worried for her as she is a cancer patient and is seriously ill,when your friend seems to be empathizing with you then tell her this" If you keep on smoking then chances are that this cenario will re-enact itself in a couple of decades or so and it will be YOU (your friend) that i'll be looking for ,just like this..."then turn on the waterworks if they're not allready on and if the sentiment doesn't get her the memory of this will stick for a while and may get the reality of the situation accross......it may seem extreme but what price and extra 10-20-30 years of life denied one?
Old 25 April 2004, 10:29 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

All teenage girls smoke, don't they? In fact most women under 30 seem to puff away happily. I don't see what you can do against that kind of peer pressure.

You could tell her she's being 'chav' and show her the website. Might work.

UB
Old 25 April 2004, 11:05 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Convince her that she needs collagen injections for fuller lips to help with her modelling career, then get the surgeon to pump them up so big that she can't get a cigarette into her gob.
Old 26 April 2004, 08:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just tell her the truth about what happens to your body if you smoke and after that it is her choice.

I know how it is a worry for you though.

Les
Old 26 April 2004, 09:03 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Stitch their mouth and nose together and feed them through a tube.

This may happen anyway as their lungs decrease in power and their arteries narrow.
Old 26 April 2004, 10:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Unfortunately, if she's smoking now, stopping her will be hard to do.

This is because the tobacco companies reputedly artificially increase the amount of nicotine in "kid's" type ****, so as to hook teenagers faster, then decrease it with "older" type ****, in order that people need to smoke more and buy more to get the same hit!

Your only hope is to do what I did MANY years ago, with my girlfriend, who was on the dge of being addicted.
I told her to pack it in, or I'd walk.
We've been married for a LONG time now, and she has never even wanted to start again.

Alcazar