Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

were do i find land to buy in scotland?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2004, 02:19 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were do i find land to buy in scotland?

hi all

right i want to buy land so that i can build a home on for a decent price. my questions are, were would i go about buying farm land and will i be able to build a house on it. or is it just better to buy a ready built hose(im sure its cheaper doing the first). if so can you lot point me in the right direction

oh and were is the best place to get a mortgage at the moment?

thanx
K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:31 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I you plan to build your own house, then it's best to buy land which already has planning permission to build a private house. If you just buy a bit of farmland, you will need to get planning permission before you can do anything, and I've heard of cases where this has taken years to obtain, (and you may not get it at all). Probably best to find a bit of land which already has a building on it (a wreck of a barn, or a fallen down house for example), and rebuild from scratch.

Not convinced it'll be cheaper than buying a ready-built house though. Especially when you've gone through the planning permission stages, got the services connected, paid architect fees, solicitor fees, bought all the raw materials for the house, and hired the necessary builders / equipments to do the job....

Also, if you build it yourself, you have no garauntees to fall back on if the roof falls off.
Old 26 April 2004, 02:34 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

What area in Scotland are you thinking of?

I can tell you one thing for sure, don't come to Scotland thinking land will be ultra-cheap. It's not.
Old 26 April 2004, 02:35 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Here's some off the ESPC site for starters.....

http://www.espc.co.uk/property_catal...&now=0.6640741
Old 26 April 2004, 02:36 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

For instance, this one is o/o £150k and is nowhere near anywhere (well, it's 5 miles from Dunfermline, so handy for central belt) Could go for over £200k.

http://www.espc.co.uk/property_catal...B-C178E34B673D
Old 26 April 2004, 02:43 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

hi m8

im already in Fife but was looking for a good place to build a decent house or buy one with lots of sapce for aroud 8 cars, we have been out looking at property and i have seen a decent 4 bedroom house with lots of parking for 120K, so it looks as if we will be buing a ready built house if thats the case

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:46 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

actually looking throgh that site there are a few bits of land that we might be interested in. thanx imlach

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:46 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The other alternative is to find a development beig built by a private builder.

My mate did this near Aberdeen, and since he bought it while it was still being built, the builder was happy to give him it cheap (to get cash quick), and also my mate negotiated such that the en-suite wasn't done etc....ie, he could do it himself as & when funds allowed. Got it for FAR below what the finished houses were sold for in the development, and also got the best house in the street as chose early.
Old 26 April 2004, 02:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Since you're already from Fife, then you should know most of the areas listed. Just wondered at first if you were a southerner thinking you'd get 100 acres for £1.50 You're obviously not....
Old 26 April 2004, 02:49 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS Self-build DOES work out cheaper generally, plus you get EXACTLY what you want....lot of hassle though - nothing comes for nought
Old 26 April 2004, 02:49 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

nah m8 not as daft as the southerners

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:51 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

you might be able to get a plot in a development for decent (ish) money but you will struggle to get anything with a good bit of excess land for anything near the £120k you have already stated and then you will have a house on top of that!
It used to be a case of just sitting down with a farmer and trying to get a bit of his land. Unfortunataly not the case anymore.
That said I do consider Fife to be the arsehole of Scotland so you may find something cheap there
Old 26 April 2004, 02:51 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

yeh m8

my uncle built loads of houses and i know it worked out cheap. but i dont talk to him anymore, thats another issue

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:53 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS I'd sell 75% of your cars, and pocket the road tax & insurance from them to help pay for a bigger house
Old 26 April 2004, 02:54 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

PG

you git, fifers are the top of the league when it comes to sotland. unlike the perth dodahs you get kicking about

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:55 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

nah m8

cant let them go. maybe later on in the year, plus its having cars at the mo isnt an issue

K
Old 26 April 2004, 02:55 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Old 26 April 2004, 06:23 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STI-NUTTER
hi all

right i want to buy land so that i can build a home on for a decent price. my questions are, were would i go about buying farm land and will i be able to build a house on it. or is it just better to buy a ready built hose(im sure its cheaper doing the first). if so can you lot point me in the right direction

oh and were is the best place to get a mortgage at the moment?

thanx
K
That old chestnut, i am in the same boat m8, cant get a bit of land anywhere & my budget is nearer the 250k margin, got the plans for the house i want & the garage space i want but land is a nightmare to find

Ps if you find any Pm me as i am looking at a radius of 50 miles from both edinburgh & glasgow

Stephen
Old 26 April 2004, 07:23 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Have you tried looking for land with a knackered house on it and knocking that down. I believe it's pretty much guaranteed that you'd get planning permission for an existing site.
Old 26 April 2004, 07:24 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by workshy_fopp
Have you tried looking for land with a knackered house on it and knocking that down. I believe it's pretty much guaranteed that you'd get planning permission for an existing site.
The link I provided with the one that was o/o £150k had a old cottage on it which was to be knocked down...
Old 26 April 2004, 07:27 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Just saw the link - LOL o/o £150k for a ruin near Dunfermline with no services, ROFL. Handy for Knockhill I spose
Old 26 April 2004, 08:38 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I was going to buy some land in Scotland but then I saw the film Braveheart and got scared.
Old 26 April 2004, 09:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

ps plot of land at loganlee is really a single house plot, went to see it & for what i want i would need 3 plots
Old 26 April 2004, 09:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
ps plot of land at loganlee is really a single house plot, went to see it & for what i want i would need 3 plots
Yep - so at o/o £45k, I guess we're still looking at £150k+ for the plot you would require in the central belt.....

Add in £100k for the house cost itself (but the house to your spec, with lots of land), and it's £250k. Seems about right - would probably be £350k if built.

As someone said last week, there are 5 bed houses in Rosyth going for less than £150k. It is Rosyth mind you - it'll be 5 titchy bedrooms knowing modern developments, a garden the size of a postage stamp, and the next door neighbours house about 1 foot from yours....

Property is nae cheap
Old 26 April 2004, 10:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

tell me about it
I have been on the hunt for the past 6 months both for a house & land
I have seen two cracking houses, one was in a village just outside of lanark pics done it justice, recently built, 5 bedrooms, dble garage & 1 acre of land o/o 189k so perfect eh? drove upto location looked immense until i was on the drive looked down to my right & 100 yards from the front door was a main railway line abs gutted, & to cop it all off the scoob couldnt fit through the doors of the garage.
Other one (is the one i have got the plans for) was a 5 bd, single garage & 1 foot from the neighbour
No wonder the greys are coming through
Ps Rosyth is over that bridge aint it !!?!?

Would be classed as being a tight git if i moved there

Stephen
Old 26 April 2004, 10:07 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Some of my peers have bitten the bullet and moved out of Edinburgh to that hellhole that is Fife

I'm trying to stay in Edinburgh as long as I can afford to. Saying that, I've got my nice garden, 4 bedrooms, garage, nice quiet area, etc....so no need to move out as yet.
Old 26 April 2004, 10:09 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Jammy sod !!!!
Old 26 April 2004, 10:16 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I should add, however, that I don't drive an 04-reg Sti
My Merc doesn't even have injection..... That's how old it is.

However, not bothered, roof over my head is more important than the tin can I drive Anyway, drive round all the posh areas in Edinburgh, and 80% of the grandest houses have battered & aincent volvos and mercs in the drives....only a few have the new porkers, beemers, and jags. Hehe.

What message does that give? 80% of people with big houses can't afford posh cars? Or got the big house cos they didn't waste thousands on new cars along the way?
Old 26 April 2004, 10:22 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

A comment my father made to me a few years back
"Rich men dont buy cars son they buy houses"
Very true statement though even though he has just purchased a SL500 as a sunday car !??!?
Old 26 April 2004, 10:32 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

imlach........what's Kilconquhar like?.........think it's just below St.Andrews.

Quick Reply: were do i find land to buy in scotland?