Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bikers - 5 mph over - and you're BANNED!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2004, 10:32 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bikers - 5 mph over - and you're BANNED!!

This from the VTR list:

its been an interesting week since I heard the chief constable of north Yorkshire on the local TV and radio. at first I couldn't believe what I was hearing so after me and a few mates wrote to him and Cleveland's top cop we got some answers ( well from Cleveland police north Yorkshire still haven't got back)
the news reports went that after the high accident figures for last summer north Yorkshire and Cleveland are having a zero tolerance on bikes this summer. this means fines for small number plates dark visors "non slandered exhausts " doesn't matter if its marked if your on a Honda and its not a Honda exhaust expect a ticket !
but the big one ( are you sitting down ) if your caught doing 5 mph over the speed limit this guy says he has already sorted it with the courts, you will be fast tracked ( 24 hours) before the magistrates and BANNED yes you read that right banned until sep 2004
now we couldn't believe this we still haven't talked to him yet but we have talked to his opposite number in Cleveland. he couldn't believe it when he saw it on the news because he didn't know anything about it ! he was very annoyed because they are not taking part in the scheme its just north Yorkshire. but he confirmed that it is true, 5mph over any speed limit and you will be in court within 24 hours and the magistrates now have the power to ban you till September ( but he said they do have the discretion to be lenient)
this ban also covers your car licence ! but he said when you get it back it wont show that you have been banned, as if that makes it ok . as you can imagine this has me very worried you can accidentally go 5 mph over the limit and for me no licence means no job. his reason for this is no bikes on the road accident figures fall. if he is left to get away with this you can bet your county will be next . if you have had any trouble this year (has to be this year) with north Yorkshire can you send the details to christorpher.hood@atbtinternet.com he has contacted motorcycle news about this and they are going to a story on it, so they want as many examples as possible for the article. sorry this is a bit long winded but im sure you will agree its important and could in the long run affect us all !

Anyone else heard about this? Seems insane to me.

UB
Old 27 April 2004, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't believe they can get away with that. We seem to be getting a lot of these jumped up people who think that their position in life allows them to do what they want and trhey expect to get extra kudos for it and eventually an honour of some kind!

This man should be left in no doubt what the motoring public think about people like him altering the law and prescribed penalties to his own advantage to show us all what an important and effective chap he is.

Les
Old 27 April 2004, 10:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Can understand that they want to lower the general speed of bikers. It's guaranteed that every journey you go on, some loon on a bike will zoom past, on either the inside or the outside.

The worst offenders i have seen for speeding, even in 30 limit areas, are quite often bikers.

Think a ban for 5 mph over is a bit harsh though.
Old 27 April 2004, 10:49 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Quite right Les. Here's what he has to say about it:

Taken from the Yorkshire evening press, April 6th

"Lunatic bikers who flout speed limits and ride antisocially are often
'lifestyle' criminals who take little notice of the law, according to
one of North Yorkshire's most senior police officers.
Assistant Chief Constable David Collins said a "get tough" drive to
crack down on law-breaking motorcyclists would also spotlight petty law
breakers.
He said the same people who illegally modify their machines and perform
outrageous manoeuvres may well deserve police attention for other
reasons."

"it's a lifestyle. These people are the same people who drive cars and
park on double yellow lines or in disabled bays. We have got them in
our sights."
"It's not about demonising motorcyclists. What I am trying to do is
eradicate poor driving habits and that includes car drivers."

So all bikers are cdriminals anyway and deserve what they get Car drivers are next. Sounds like he's well and truly lost the plot. Why don't they go and catch some real criminals instead of wasting public money on these sorts of 'witch hunts'

UB
Old 27 April 2004, 10:51 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

but he said when you get it back it wont show that you have been banned, as if that makes it ok .
I'm sure that that will need an amendment to the Road Traffic Act as it currently stands.
Old 27 April 2004, 10:53 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

<< "it's a lifestyle. These people are the same people who drive cars and
park on double yellow lines or in disabled bays. We have got them in
our sights." >>

Err yeah right... what a to55er.....

Talk about tarring us all with 1 brush.. sheessh..
Old 27 April 2004, 11:00 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Indeed. He is trying to portray all motorcyclists as anti-social nutters who
are career criminals.

What the hell would happen if he said that all Jamaican people are career
rapists or that all Jews are *****?

He'd loose his job and be disgraced in the press (Doing a Ron).

UB

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2004, 11:02 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

He might even *lose* his job
Old 27 April 2004, 11:04 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

I can understand them cutting down on bikers speeds. Near where i live (N Yorkshire/lancashire/cumbria borders, 15 mins from Devils bridge and A65) you can guarantee that 1 biker is killed almost every weekend, and there are loads of accidents. I have heard all sorts of stories as to the state of the crash scene as I know somebody who picks up vehicles after accidents. For example, one guy's helmet had an imprint of the badge on the front of the van he hit head on.
Bex
Old 27 April 2004, 12:05 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

much as I think the guy is a nutter - you can't really argue - he is making it clear that if you break the law you will be punished severly.

On the bright side, you can probably ride you mates bike at 150 through a 30 and if you get caught say you stole it. Then you will get 2 hours community service instead...
Old 27 April 2004, 12:30 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thats plain madness ! Who the hell doesn't go 5MPH over the limit ? Him ? I ******* doubt it :angry:
Old 27 April 2004, 01:02 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

FYI - NY Police site info here
Old 27 April 2004, 01:45 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Surely this can't be true, if you put a approved non standard part onto a vehcile it has passed all the relevant legislation, it would be like banning some old granny who has ATS put a bosal exhaust onto her metro!!

As for the 5mph ban they would have to chaneg the law surely,

please correct me if i'm wrong i think it is just propaganda like the M6 specs panic

Ray
Old 27 April 2004, 01:48 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexTait
.... Near where i live (N Yorkshire/lancashire/cumbria borders, 15 mins from Devils bridge and A65) you can guarantee that 1 biker is killed almost every weekend...Bex
No, you can't.

There were 23 bikers killed on Yorkshire roads in 2002 and 28 in 2003. While far too many, it's half the number you are suggesting.

I may be accused of being pedantic but doubling statistics to shore up your argument is exactly what we get so wound up about people like Brake! doing.

So we shouldn't do it ourselves, should we?

SB
Old 27 April 2004, 02:16 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah, and how many Bikers will now try to flout this law by 'doing a runner' when they realise they will be banned for such a lame stitch up anyhow? Well worth using the old 'I never saw the police car' approach when the stakes are already high. This could lead to even more deaths imo

I know quite a few folk already who buy fast bikes and then 'arrange' a sale so the bike passes back and forth between them 'losing' the address on the log book or they make sure it has never been registered. They still tax and insure the bike its just now they dont have to worry about doing a runner and having the traffic turn up at their door or getting flashed by cameras etc. Lets face it the penalty for this is probably less than the ban. If they then have any problems with the police the bike is garaged until they can sell it back to the original owner (i.e. mate) who then claims he bought it from a guy called ******** (make up name) who drove the bike to his home for the sale if they ever get pulled, etc etc blah blah.

I dont condone any of this sort of nonsense but with such draconian methods being used the hardcore speed merchants will try anything.

Lets face it, why would anyone buy a modern sports bike if they were going to sit at the legal limit all the time, and dont say for track days as I actually live in the real world

Last edited by Jye; 27 April 2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 27 April 2004, 02:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by **************
I cant see how it is legal under European law to rewrite the traffic laws for one particular type of transport and keep it the same for everyone else I'd tell em to go **** emselves if they tried any of that bullsh!t on me, its pure discrimination
I look forward to the first test cases to see if a legal precendent can actually be set. I can't see how they can just remove somebody's license without the relevent points totting, and then return it some months later. There has to be a humans rights issue here, surely?

UB
Old 27 April 2004, 02:46 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Why don't they start making things safer by

a) introducing bike awareness into the driving lessons / test

and

b) making the wearing of proper bike attire a law, so that muppets in jeans, shirt and trainers are less prevalent on the roads.
Old 27 April 2004, 03:00 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Once again our beloved police force do us proud - how do these mindless cretins rise to these positions - if they're the cream of the crop makes you wonder what the average copper must be like doesn't it?

Still while they're allowed to get away with the persecution of a section of society whilst getting a pat on the back for it from other senior authroities then what do you expect?
Old 27 April 2004, 03:33 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tiggers
makes you wonder what the average copper must be like doesn't it?
Obvioulsy that makes me thick as **** and I must walk round dragging my knuckles on the groud eh tiggers?

As for banned over 5mph what a crock of ****. It would never stand up.

ACPO policy would have to be changed.

As people often state on here its a minimum of 10% + 2 mph.

Nathan..
Old 27 April 2004, 03:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mice_Elf
Why don't they start making things safer by

a) introducing bike awareness into the driving lessons / test

and

b) making the wearing of proper bike attire a law, so that muppets in jeans, shirt and trainers are less prevalent on the roads.
A better suggestion is prevension of the numpties that hurt trees by hitting them at 100 mph.
Old 27 April 2004, 03:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Old proverb Nathan, the higher a monkey climbs the more of it's **** you see

I'd rather be classed as average now-a-days, especially when the norm is to promote real idiots out of harms way
Old 27 April 2004, 03:41 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Did you give him that funny handshake then Bob
Old 27 April 2004, 04:40 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by Sbradley
No, you can't.

There were 23 bikers killed on Yorkshire roads in 2002 and 28 in 2003. While far too many, it's half the number you are suggesting.

I may be accused of being pedantic but doubling statistics to shore up your argument is exactly what we get so wound up about people like Brake! doing.

So we shouldn't do it ourselves, should we?

SB
They only give the NY statistics, I live in NY, but am 50m from Lancashire and 5 miles from Cumbria and Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale. Weekends are awful on some of the roads near me (eg A683) with bikers going past at fast speeds (I've been overtaken doing 60, and the biker soon dissappeared) almost continually from about 6am.
In my first post I didn't specifically say which county I lived in.
Old 27 April 2004, 05:15 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
Obvioulsy that makes me thick as **** and I must walk round dragging my knuckles on the groud eh tiggers?
Sorry, the comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. If you took it another way then maybe I struck a nerve eh?

BTW That was tongue in cheek too - just to save your keyboard wrath!!
Old 27 April 2004, 05:53 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry to say peeps that this is perfectly legal.

Section 146(1) of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000,provides a court convicting someone of an offence, may instead of or in addition to dealing with him in any other way, order him to be disqualified from driving or obtaining a driving licence for such period as it thinks fit,

If the police can prove that you were riding in an anti-social manner then the Magistrates can consider disqualifying you.

It remains to be seen if riding at 5mph over the limit is sufficient!!!
Old 27 April 2004, 05:59 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by **************
I can confirm Nathan does not walk around dragging his knucles on the floor as he pulled me while I was in my Scoob
Lol Your face was priceless at first I'd have a job dragging my knuckles my arms would have to be 6ft long

Originally Posted by Jye
Did you give him that funny handshake then Bob
Nope a wad of notes JOKE

Originally Posted by tiggers
If you took it another way then maybe I struck a nerve eh?
No nerves left to strike, lost them all years ago. Just as p1ssed off as you lot are. I don't have an STi to drive it slowly all the time
Old 27 April 2004, 06:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

ACPO policy would have to be changed.
As people often state on here its a minimum of 10% + 2 mph.
And as people often mis-understand this 10% + 2mph thing. AIUI this is a GUIDELINE, there's no rules or laws about it, it's just a GUIDELINE that they don't have to adhere to. They can do you for 31 in a 30 if they really want to. It just far easier and open-shut cases if they follow the guideline figures that's all.

Quick Reply: Bikers - 5 mph over - and you're BANNED!!