Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Its the media thats the problem in this country not Labour

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 11:14 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its the media thats the problem in this country not Labour

They are big time trouble makers, they are making the war worse, they are causing hatred against Maxine Carr

My missus is a teacher and has seen vast improvments whilst Labour have been in, I know an ex nurse who again had seen improvements

The media want fooking, they are bang out of order, how can they bring their country and its people down.
Old 14 May 2004, 11:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's easy they just took labours lead !!
Old 14 May 2004, 11:23 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Micheal Howard, he's a bloody muppet, people cant possibly vote for this d!ck
Old 14 May 2004, 11:24 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Media are bang out of order on a lot of things.

Labour are just sh!te IMHO. Time to give the tories another go.
Old 14 May 2004, 11:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

**** maxine carr, sort the petrol out first!!
Old 14 May 2004, 11:46 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

From the Piers Morgan thread

Originally Posted by tiggers
And as for what the press should be asking - they shouldn't be asking anything as they are biggest bunch of stirring, lying, scheming, cheating, self important scum in the UK today. It is they who have blood on their hands I'm afraid.
From the Maxine Carr thread

Because much of the population are sheeplike morons who either believe everything they read in the press or can't be bothered to find out the truth about Maxine Carr. Only today I overheard someone likening her to Myra Hindley - Doh!!!

Hence the press can play up to their worst fears and whip them into a 'revenge hysteria' for something she didn't do such that she will get lynched if the mob catch up with her.

Then they can start a witchhunt to locate her whereabouts either legally or otherwise thereby selling more papers, gaining more viewing figures and finally they can hopefully reveal her whereabouts and be on hand to report what happens when the lynch mob do catch up with her.

Disgusting!
As you can see I agree with you!

tiggers.
Old 15 May 2004, 12:24 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

exactly (soz, didnt see those posts)
Old 15 May 2004, 12:53 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Media are bang out of order on a lot of things.
100% agree. but they do it to sell papers.. and it sells papers (it must do, or they wouldn't do it). so at the end of the day, they're only fulfilling the demand of the general public. so if anyone's looking for someone to point the finger at, you can blame the public too.
Old 15 May 2004, 01:30 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeeMac
exactly (soz, didnt see those posts)
No worries mate - just glad I'm not alone in my thoughts!
Old 15 May 2004, 05:28 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I too am puzzled at the fascination with Maxine Carr. People already know what she looks like, she's going to have enough problems trying to make a new life for herself without the press making things more difficult for her.

I think we should be careful about damning the whole media too. With the exception of the Andrew Gilligan affair, the TV media cannot be accusused of bad journalism (and even the Gilligan affair was 99.9% fair and accurate, just one unscripted gaff which the govt, in the form of Alistair Campbell blew totally out of all proportion).

Are there any reasons to damn The Times, The Guardian, The Independent and The Telegraph as doing this country down ?? It's the lower end, the popular end of the press which is causing the problems. The big question is, are they simply giving the people of the country what they want to read ? If so, then they are simply responding to market forces. If people didn't want to read this rubbish, they should buy other newspapers. Then the newspapers would change their editorial policy to suit.
Old 15 May 2004, 10:09 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
I too am puzzled at the fascination with Maxine Carr. People already know what she looks like, she's going to have enough problems trying to make a new life for herself without the press making things more difficult for her.

I think we should be careful about damning the whole media too. With the exception of the Andrew Gilligan affair, the TV media cannot be accusused of bad journalism (and even the Gilligan affair was 99.9% fair and accurate, just one unscripted gaff which the govt, in the form of Alistair Campbell blew totally out of all proportion).

Are there any reasons to damn The Times, The Guardian, The Independent and The Telegraph as doing this country down ?? It's the lower end, the popular end of the press which is causing the problems. The big question is, are they simply giving the people of the country what they want to read ? If so, then they are simply responding to market forces. If people didn't want to read this rubbish, they should buy other newspapers. Then the newspapers would change their editorial policy to suit.
The TV media cannot be accused of bad journalism? You're having a laugh aren't you?

Let's see now? Leaving the whole sorry mess of the Gilligan affair to one side (tip of the iceberg though it may be) how about this. I know personally and know of about 6 soldiers who are or have served in Iraq in the last 6 months. They all say that 99% of the Iraqis are pleased to have the coalition there, but does the TV media report this - no they make it sound like the whole of Iraq wants the coalition out and is fighting them at every corner.

How do you think that makes our armed forces feel? They're there fighting whilst believing that everyone back home thinks they shouldn't be there and they are doing an awful job and that's all down to our beloved TV and press. Contrast the coverage of Iraq to that of the Falklands (a really unnecessary skirmish - thanks Maggie) or even the Gulf war of 1991 - there was a lot more balance then and a lot more support for our troops.

As for the high end papers they are nearly as bad, but are just more subversive with it due to the fact that their readership has an IQ above that of a retarded gibbon (unlike the readers of The Sun, Mirror, Mail etc.) and therefore will actually question what they read.

As for the gutter press they may well be responding to what their readership wants to read, but does that make it right? The problem is that their readership does not question what they read as they are too absorbed with the important things in life (like the pub, Coronation Street and football) to ever sit down and think 'maybe what I'm reading isn't true'. The gutter press know this and knows what appeals to them (stories about soap opera stars, 15 pages of football (laughingly called Sport), sensationalist stories about how the asylum seekers will take over the country, Iraq is totally out of control as it's inhabitants are all crazed Muslim fanatics etc. etc.) so they publish this rubbish and the readership laps it up.

Quite frightening when you think about it.

tiggers.
Old 15 May 2004, 07:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrast the coverage of Iraq to that of the Falklands (a really unnecessary skirmish - thanks Maggie) or even the Gulf war of 1991 - there was a lot more balance then and a lot more support for our troops.
Tiggers, I'll agree with most, but can I just point out that in the above two examples British troops were fighting to liberate an invaded country (Falklands, Kuwait). This time they are frankly the invaders. It's not THAT surprising that people have a different attitude.

I'm too young to know much about the political background to the Falklands war, so if your argument is that it could have been solved by diplomacy and not by shooting the Belgrano in the back, fair enough.
Old 15 May 2004, 07:58 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Tiggers, what is the IQ of a retarded gibbon? I read The Sun and would like to know how high on the evolutionary IQ scale I should expect to be.
Old 15 May 2004, 08:03 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Tiggers, I'll agree with most, but can I just point out that in the above two examples British troops were fighting to liberate an invaded country (Falklands, Kuwait). This time they are frankly the invaders. It's not THAT surprising that people have a different attitude.

I'm too young to know much about the political background to the Falklands war, so if your argument is that it could have been solved by diplomacy and not by shooting the Belgrano in the back, fair enough.
Brendan,

Let's not open the box re. the Falklands as the rose tinted spectacles brigade will arrive en masse, but suffice to say that it is widely accepted that it could have been solved by diplomacy, but Mrs. T wasn't for even sitting down. Of course an 'easy' military victory wouldn't have helped her re-election cause at all would it now?

Whilst I agree in some ways that we are this time seen as the agressors and leaving aside the fact that just maybe the world is possibly a better place without Saddam (not that you'd think that listening to half of those vocal on the subject on this very bulletin board) it is not the fault of the troops.

They are simply carrying out orders and maybe I speak only for myself when I say they have my full support and backing. By that I mean even if you don't agree with the reason they are doing what they are doing we should still give them support. What has happened with the press since all this started makes my blood boil.

I for one have not got it in me to be in the army, but you can be damn sure that I'm happy some people do have as when we need them we'll all be glad. This coupled with the risks they face as part of their job which is let's face it just a little more dangerous than a cushy office occupation means I think we and the press should get behind them rather than try and castigate them all the time.

Sure have a pop at Bush and Blair if it makes you feel better, but not the troops themselves.

tiggers.
Old 15 May 2004, 08:05 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simes777
Tiggers, what is the IQ of a retarded gibbon? I read The Sun and would like to know how high on the evolutionary IQ scale I should expect to be.
Well you can actually string a sentence together so you're better than most Sun readers. BTW I asume you're kidding - no one intelligent enough to register for a bulletin board reads The Sun surely to goodness.

....unless of course someone else registered for you

tiggers.
Old 15 May 2004, 08:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The truth is Leemac that for the average person its so hard to know whats really going on.

Is the NHS better,are schools better........i really havent a clue tbh,and there lies the problem.
Old 15 May 2004, 08:23 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I read The Sun and would like to know how high on the evolutionary IQ scale I should expect to be.
The New Scientist pointed out the other week that you could read The Sun with the vocabulary of a 5-year old
Old 15 May 2004, 09:22 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
The New Scientist pointed out the other week that you could read The Sun with the vocabulary of a 5-year old
yeah, but they're always going to diss the competition
Old 15 May 2004, 09:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
The truth is Leemac that for the average person its so hard to know whats really going on.

Is the NHS better,are schools better........i really havent a clue tbh,and there lies the problem.
With the emphesis on *lies*.

UB
Old 15 May 2004, 09:44 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Newspapers sold more copies years ago, around double what they sell today, I wouldn't say its what people want to read, its what gets drilled into our heads from tv that makes people get papers nowadays
Old 15 May 2004, 09:58 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Newspapers sold more copies years ago, around double what they sell today
purely because of the internet.

unless you're on a train or in the crapper, why bother to pay money for a newspaper (and go out and get it.. and make it look at work like you're skiving off when you're reading it) when it's all on the net for free?
Old 16 May 2004, 08:44 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

The TV media cannot be accused of bad journalism? You're having a laugh aren't you?

Let's see now? Leaving the whole sorry mess of the Gilligan affair to one side (tip of the iceberg though it may be) how about this. I know personally and know of about 6 soldiers who are or have served in Iraq in the last 6 months. They all say that 99% of the Iraqis are pleased to have the coalition there, but does the TV media report this - no they make it sound like the whole of Iraq wants the coalition out and is fighting them at every corner.

How do you think that makes our armed forces feel? They're there fighting whilst believing that everyone back home thinks they shouldn't be there and they are doing an awful job and that's all down to our beloved TV and press.
I think that the dirth of sensational stories about what's happening in the south of Iraq is a proof that our armed services are doing a damn fine job there. In that respect it's not surprising that the press reports the bad things that do happen. I guess you've highlighted a continual problem with reporting, good news is rarely news. This has always been true and probably always will be. It would be better if there were more stories from the Iraqi perspective to give more balance.

There is also a difference between the Iraqi people not being hostile to British troops and them actually wanting us to be there. The majority may have been pleased that the coalition got rid of Saddam, but they don't want an occupying force, they want their country back.

As for the gutter press they may well be responding to what their readership wants to read, but does that make it right? The problem is that their readership does not question what they read as they are too absorbed with the important things in life (like the pub, Coronation Street and football) to ever sit down and think 'maybe what I'm reading isn't true'. The gutter press know this and knows what appeals to them (stories about soap opera stars, 15 pages of football (laughingly called Sport), sensationalist stories about how the asylum seekers will take over the country, Iraq is totally out of control as it's inhabitants are all crazed Muslim fanatics etc. etc.) so they publish this rubbish and the readership laps it up.

Quite frightening when you think about it.

tiggers.
It would be nice to think that we could force the papers to maintain good standards. But how can we do that? Maybe the Piers Morgan affair make them think twice next time.
Old 16 May 2004, 08:58 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Labour ....... total pants, we are the highest taxed country in the world and there' even more coming ....... sept more tax on petrol........
Wife works in the NHS and she feels its dire ...........

Any body better than liar Tony, US Poodle!
Old 16 May 2004, 09:43 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Newspapers sold more copies years ago, around double what they sell today
Lee,

Why buy a newspaper when youve got scoobynet

Chip.
Old 16 May 2004, 04:34 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Labour ....... total pants, we are the highest taxed country in the world
denmark's basic income tax rate is 42%. their highest rate is 68%. the uk's is pitifully low in comparison. plenty of other counties pay far more income tax than us.

likewise, the uk does NOT pay the highest price for petrol, nor does the uk pay the highest vat rate. not even close.

about the only thing the uk is taxed highest on is diesel.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:23 AM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

They are big time trouble makers, they are making the war worse, they are causing hatred against Maxine Carr

My missus is a teacher and has seen vast improvments whilst Labour have been in, I know an ex nurse who again had seen improvements

The media want fooking, they are bang out of order, how can they bring their country and its people down.
A prime example of why care in the community is not an effective treatment for the mentally unwell, people with a serious learning dificulty or behavioural problems.

please return to your gp or consultant psychiartrist as you have been given either the wrong medication or an inadequate dosage

Last edited by ||VaNDaL||; 17 May 2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:31 AM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Simes; thankyou for your enquiry, the answers you are looking for are printed respectively below.....

IQ of a retarded gibbon = IQ of George W Bush x 5 = 27

secondly I would like to reassure you that you are definately more intelligent than a tree (but not much)

I sincerley hope the above information is of use to your carer and that your claim for incapacity benefit is successful

Last edited by ||VaNDaL||; 17 May 2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:33 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

ya gotta grin