Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well I enjoyed Top Gear last night !

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 11:44 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Well I enjoyed Top Gear last night !

Suppose there will a few on here who thought it was a pile of poo. Isn't interesting how many times some one rates something on here then gets shot down in flames by the uppity mob ?
I thought Top Gear was very entertaining again last night 'cept for Robotic Jordan (who works her ?).
The item about the three cars for under a ton was a laugh. Sure there was a bit a bit of skullduggery going on there.... how does one manage to purchase a Volvo for £1 ???????? And I'm not sure it was very responsible to show the three musketeers crashing said vehicles into a wall (albeit a specially built impact absorbing one ) at the end of the item . There will be those air heads out there who will now think its a hoot to do likewise.
But overall, the show , for me and mine at least, has perked up some this series. Bring it on boys......... lets hear the abuse now.......
Old 24 May 2004, 11:59 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was very funny too. I don't understand why people are slating it I think scoobynet is becoming full of whingers All everyone does is moan about that and the rallying, the rallying is even worse now than it was!
Old 24 May 2004, 12:07 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Anyone can go & buy a snotty old trader from a dealer for £1.00

When I worked in one, we sold a car to the valeter for 1p
Old 24 May 2004, 12:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I think scoobynet is becoming full of whingers All everyone does is moan about that and the rallying, the rallying is even worse now than it was!
Welcome to NSR: The home of moaners, depressives, flamers and trollers

People say muppets is pointless...but the whole point of it existing is beacuse of the above
Old 24 May 2004, 12:47 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

I think Top Gear is getting better, especially the first programme they showed a few weeks ago with the race to Monaco in a DB9. Apart from great cars it has the humour.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:19 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep agreed, I thought it was probably the best ever! They get criticised for only road testing very expensive cars which I think is a fair point but last night it had everything, was extremely entertaining and the crowning moment had to be clarksons volvo was bought for a quid! Great work keep it up boys. I just wish hammond would pull his nose out of clarksons ar$e but other than that brilliant!
Old 24 May 2004, 01:36 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

My mum even enjoys the show now and she doesn't drive or is really interested in cars.

She finds Jeremy Clarkson funny, can't say I quite agree though.
I like Richards 'role' as the little brother.

I have enjoyed the last few shows (I hardly watched the last series).

Just as long as they don't drive the supercars into walls.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I usually stick up for TG when people slate it as its great Sunday viewing, but for once last night I didnt think it was up to much.

The Ferrari/Porsche thing was good, but all that business with those crap cars was just boring. I would prefer to see reports and items on new cars, instead of all this "crashing cheap cars", "jumping caravans" etc etc. Even the SIARPC is getting annoying now.

And the joke with The Stig playing that naff music is wearing thin now.

Justtell us about the latest cars, race them round the track then do some overseas stories and al is well.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:51 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Default Had to smile to myself.....

Originally Posted by Nicci
My mum even enjoys the show now and she doesn't drive or is really interested in cars
It tickled me to read the above quote from Nicci.

I do drive and am very interested in cars, AND am a Mum, & grandma ! Age is no barrier to liking either cars or music come to think about it.

But good for ya Mum Nicci, she sounds like part of the new breed of our generation who are breaking the mould.

On the subject of buying cars for £1....... what did I say ?, there's always one smart alec who has already done it, seen it, got the tee shirt etc. I wasn't aware that cars could be bought for such a small amount of deniro... we don't all know everyhting there is to know and I for one am not afraid to admit that. But perhaps that sort of confidence comes with age ?
Old 24 May 2004, 02:00 PM
Mica Blue
Scooby Regular

I was on the floor laughing yesterday, watching stig rag the volvo round the track!
Old 24 May 2004, 02:03 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
And the joke with The Stig playing that naff music is wearing thin now.
Especially when they did it in the Ferrari which they'd already mentioned earlier in the show didn't have a radio...
Old 24 May 2004, 02:09 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I also like TG and it is certainly alot better than Heartbeat on the other side.
Old 24 May 2004, 02:56 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mica Blue
I was on the floor laughing yesterday, watching stig rag the volvo round the track!
Oh yeah, forgot about that bit, that was funny.

Cupra - exactly, I wanted to hear the Ferrari scream
Old 24 May 2004, 02:59 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

It was a good show.

Where on earth can you get 2nd hand cars like that for under a ton?
Old 24 May 2004, 04:55 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Red face Cheap Cars

Just been listening to James & Richard off Top Gear on the radio ..... seems they DID tell us how and why you can buy such cheap cars these days on the show.... maybe I was still laughing about something when they said that ! Its down to this thing about having to pay scrap yards £100 nowadays to take your old banger off you. A dealer is going to be quite happy to take a few quid off someone than have to pay up for it to go to scrap.
Old 24 May 2004, 04:58 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

thye reckoned it could cost £150 to scrap a car. so flogging for a quid made the (volvo main) dealer £151 up.
Old 24 May 2004, 05:59 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Why would the dealer take the car for scrap if it will cost them 150 to get rid of it?

More to the point, why are these cars not sold on if theres nothing wrong with them?!

Can anyone go to their main dealer and buy these cars?
Old 24 May 2004, 06:08 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Courtesy of the EU scrapping cars now costs you. - Hence by not having to scrap it the dealer is better off.

And yes the evidence would suggest anyone can go to a dealer and buy cheap cars. That audi looked a bargain to me.

I actually had one of those volvos as a courtesy car for a few weeks during early scoob ownership. Scared me witless. I needed tugs to get it in my rather narrow drive.

Deano
Old 24 May 2004, 09:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

deniro?????

*dinero*

I think TG is an excellent prog, much better in the 60 min format compared to the old format. And Jordan? she put in a cracking lap time. Ok she doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the box, but fair play to her.
Old 24 May 2004, 09:16 PM
Mica Blue
Scooby Regular

Scrap yards actually pick up cars for free these days. The reason is the price of metal has gone very high- and scrap cars / metal is worth £45 a tonne.
Old 24 May 2004, 09:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

And the Ferrari not having a radio, did it have a cd player?
Old 25 May 2004, 07:49 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I think TG is a cracking programme, I've subscribed to the Magazine since it started and the theme is very similar.
What you have to remember is that its got to be entertainment, they have to have good viewing figures, 8.00pm on a Sunday evening is prime time TV. If it was just like a TV version of what Car then it wouldnt last a week.

I find it amusing and entertaining as does my wife and daughter, there was more laughter in our house on Sunday because of TG than with open all hours.

This is working and it gets non-petrol heads seeing the serious issues that are tucked away in the programme too. It has to continue to pull in the viewers, there arent enough of us to keep a road test programme running!

Great show, really miss it when its off.
STEVE...................
Old 25 May 2004, 11:59 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta555.....thank you...I felt that was incorrect as I typed it....... maybe I should have just put "money "