Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

World Naked Bike Ride Day tmmrw (Sat!)

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2004, 02:21 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Naked Bike Ride Day tmmrw (Sat!)

HoHoHo! Might just have to go along and watch

From the Edinburgh Evening News today (Fri June 11)

Naked cycle ride sparks protests

CHRIS MOONEY

ANGRY protests today greeted the decision by Lothian and Borders Police to allow a naked bike ride to go ahead through the streets of Edinburgh.

Hundreds of people are expected to descend on the city’s streets and public parks tomorrow to take part in World Naked Bike Ride Day.

But the event, aimed at promoting cycling, has been described as "obscene" and an excuse for exhibitionists and perverts to turn out in droves.

Politicians and community groups say the event, which will snake from the Meadows, down the bridges and into Broughton Street, is offensive and will expose young children to full-frontal nudity.

Police say the cyclists would not strictly be breaking the law and will allow the ride to go ahead unless there are complaints.

The Capital is one of 20 cities across the world where cycling enthusiasts will be baring all in an event which they say is for the good of the environment.

Organised by members of pressure group Edinburgh Critical Mass, the naked ride aims to promote cycling as an alternative form of transport.

Thousands of people in cities including London, San Francisco, Vancouver and Barcelona will spend the day revealing all in protest against oil dependency and climate change, and to celebrate "the power and individuality of our bodies".

The cyclists will meet at 1.30pm near the Middle Meadow Walk, with the half-hour ride finishing at Inverleith Park in time for the Edinburgh Treefest and Wood Market, where more than 10,000 spectators are expected tomorrow and Sunday.

Organisers said skateboards, in-line skates, wheelchairs, pogo sticks and any form of non-motorised, non-polluting transport was welcome.

But Susie Agnew, secretary of Marchmont and Sciennes Community Council, said the police should stop the event going ahead.

She added: "I think it will do their cause more harm than good and I can’t imagine the police letting this go ahead.

"There are children out playing in the Meadows on a Saturday afternoon and it will attract a crowd of a certain thought who will take part or just come to watch and who will not be out on their bikes next week because they have been inspired."

City councillor Alastair Paisley said he was "appalled" and called for the ride to be immediately banned.

He said: "I think this event, if that’s what you call it, should be stopped. It is totally obscene and I would not want to see young people exposed to this sort of thing.

"It is an unnecessary spectacle and will make Edinburgh look like the Amsterdam of the north, in the worst possible way. Whatever cause it is they are doing this in the name of, it will only have the reverse effect."

SNP tourism spokesman Kenny MacAskill called on the Lothian and Borders force to take tough action against the group.

"The whole thing just sounds completely daft and these people should simply get on their bikes," he said.

"Everyone saw what happened with the naked rambler last summer when he was trying to walk up the A9 and was continually arrested by the police, but this is a city centre we’re talking about."

Maz Fraser, 22, a city bike courier who has helped organise the event, said it would be a fun day out for people of all ages.

She said: "There’s never been anything like this in Edinburgh before so we are going to have to wait and see what happens, but word is going around pretty fast.

"It is about the fact that Edinburgh is a great city to ride around in, but people are scared of the traffic, and in my job I know that we don’t get much respect from motorists. Many don’t see a place for cyclists on the road. I think drivers will certainly notice it.

"People don’t have to go completely naked and some will just wear maybe a bra and shorts - it’s still supporting us.

"How many people get naked all depends on whether everyone gets into the spirit of things and how good the weather is."

A police spokesman said: "We are aware of the planned naked bike ride on Saturday afternoon and will be monitoring it."

But a police source said cyclists would be free to hold the event as long as no-one was offended and complained.

The source said: "The bottom line is that there are a lot of families who use the Meadows and Inverleith Park at the weekend and we are happy to be discreet as long as there are no complaints."
Old 11 June 2004, 02:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

lol @ the reporter's name!
Old 11 June 2004, 02:49 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Are you getting pictures for the 'open' round of the photo comp???

Old 11 June 2004, 03:42 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

defeats the purpose somewhat
Old 11 June 2004, 03:45 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Whoo Hoo ! just realised ! I am going through to Edinburgh to pick up a bike for the wife..... wonder if sh will want to take it out for a spin and take part in this event ?
Old 11 June 2004, 03:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

LOL the real exhibitionists will be out on their Pogosticks
Old 11 June 2004, 05:42 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Could this be the latest craze.

Bicycle Seats
(21 Male, Edinburgh)

Dear Sandy,
I am scared. you see, i have a problem and soon or later i will get cought. my problem is sniffing womens bicycle seats. you dont understand, im obsessed with them! i love sniffing womens bicycle seats sooooooo much its driving me crazy! i get so horny when i walk into bike shops! honestly Sandy, when i sniff a bike its like snorking cocain. but if someone finds out what im doing i will be so emberset i dont know what ill do but i really cant stop. last week i saw a sexy girl chaining up her bike and she went into the store. so i sniffed the seat and a security guard attacked me and yelled and chased me away! thats not the first time and sertainly wont be the last. im so tierd of sneaking around in the shadows, hidding from my fears. afread of having people judge me. nobody knows my dark secret. PLEASE help me Sandy please! can you give me info on this fetish? i dont know what to do.