Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sony MD or MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2004, 06:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sony MD or MP3?

Just been to Comet to look at MP3 players and the salesman advised me to buy a Sony MD player instead - NETMD - that is .......

He says it would be a much wiser choice ....

Right or wrong?

Pete

Oh, yes, he also dropped the bombshell that the SonyMD will only allow 3 records of a song - but, Sony have realised their error and put a patch on the Web? True or what?

Last edited by pslewis; 12 June 2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12 June 2004, 06:31 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony seem to have a policy of wanting to sell you stuff but also wanting to tell you exactly what you can do with it and what you can listen to on it.

I don't know if they have changed their mind on the MD thing but I suppose it is possible. However, knowing Sony I'd guess that there will still be a catch.

MD is dead, can be unreliable, transfer from the PC is slow etc. MP3 generally has no moving parts, is very reliable, can transfer at very high speed from the PC etc.

Personal preference in the end but given the choice I'd go for MP3. Also many newer MP3 players will also play .wav files so if you have concerns about quality or often listen to high quality material such as classical music then many MP3 players will play your .wav files. Many of the new ones have lots of storage space and so make .wav files a practical propositioni.
Old 12 June 2004, 06:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hedgehog - I reckon he was just trying to sell his stocks of MD players - I said that I thought it had had its day ......... he disagreed (but then he would if he had a storeroom full of 'em!)

Pete
Old 12 June 2004, 06:57 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

I'd agree that he'd be trying to shift his old stock. Much as I liked MD in its day, MP3 players really are the way forward. Especially car MP3 CD players!

Chris
Old 12 June 2004, 07:18 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You've been banging on about buying an MP3 player for a month now... would you just go out and buy it already!!!

p.s. the bloke in comet was talking complete nonsense
Old 12 June 2004, 07:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

MD????

did he also try and shift some betamax videos and a half price ZX Spectrum!
Old 12 June 2004, 09:08 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

NetMD does data transfer over the USB bus at Hard disk speeds, and using near cd quality sound (simillar to 128k mp3) can fit 320 mins of audio on one very cheap disk.

About the song thing, this only applies if you are making a digital copy of the digital copy. You can make as many recordings of the original cd as you like. ie.

you copy the file to your md, then you copy that md, then you copy that copy. thats it as far as copying that file goes, but.

orig Cd, > md can be done as many times as you like.

Last edited by mannyo; 12 June 2004 at 09:11 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2004, 09:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

MInidisc has NOT had its day. Wot a load of bollix. It is still used heavily as both a consumer and (moreso) professional format, especially in Broadcast. It is used because it is durable, rugged etc. Via USB, it is also just as quick a HD. It still sounds better. Sorry.
The ATRAC compression algorithm just "sounds" more like analogue. MP3 has a horrible sound to it, even at 192 or 328 etc.
Not as many people as you think own MP3 players - I also work at a college, and most of the college students have MD.
I also use MD in the car and in my studio (for that analogue feel)

Not getting into the MP3 debate, but I personally don't like MP3. However, I respect that alot of people like MP3. I use it for my portfolio webpage, but wouldn't dream of sending a client the audio in MP3 format. Howver, I would send a Minidisc.

Pete - which ever you go for, listen to it (wierd concept, I know, but it is an audio medium) - go for the one that sounds best.

<gets off soap box>

Dan
Old 13 June 2004, 02:34 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i'm another MD fan - much warmer sound then mp3's IMHO.
and disks are soooooo cheap and reliable....

mind you my sony player/rec is nigh on 5 years old now, so i'm sure they have gotten even better!!!

BB
Old 13 June 2004, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a net MD, and love it, my kids use it non-stop, and I make discs for the car and home .

Never forget that a reliable storage medium for 320minutes of music can be had for less than a quid.

How much is a new storage medium for an MP3?

Alcazar
Old 13 June 2004, 12:23 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How much is a new storage medium for an MP3?
Alcazar
Umm......pennies if you store them on a CD and play them in a MP3 compatible cd player...

....and about 500-1000 minutes of music on a cd.
Old 13 June 2004, 03:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Well, yes...................but I thought the discussion was MD versus MP3 PLAYERS?

Alcazar
Old 13 June 2004, 03:42 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Well, yes...................but I thought the discussion was MD versus MP3 PLAYERS?

Alcazar
....you are assuming solid state MP3 players I imagine. MP3 audio tracks can be held on a wide variety of formats available to the consumer, be it CD, solid state memory, or hard drives, etc.

MP3 is a compression technology, not a physical method of storage.

Apologies for being pedantic

Last edited by imlach; 13 June 2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 13 June 2004, 04:01 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
MInidisc has NOT had its day. Wot a load of bollix. It is still used heavily as both a consumer and (moreso) professional format, especially in Broadcast. It is used because it is durable, rugged etc. Via USB, it is also just as quick a HD. It still sounds better. Sorry.
The ATRAC compression algorithm just "sounds" more like analogue. MP3 has a horrible sound to it, even at 192 or 328 etc.
Not as many people as you think own MP3 players - I also work at a college, and most of the college students have MD.
I also use MD in the car and in my studio (for that analogue feel)

Not getting into the MP3 debate, but I personally don't like MP3. However, I respect that alot of people like MP3. I use it for my portfolio webpage, but wouldn't dream of sending a client the audio in MP3 format. Howver, I would send a Minidisc.

Pete - which ever you go for, listen to it (wierd concept, I know, but it is an audio medium) - go for the one that sounds best.

<gets off soap box>

Dan
yep this guy is right MR Hog is wrong im afraid. mini disc dead???? i dont think so. Unrealiable, so you've owned one have you? Had mine 6 years nothing has gone wrong with it!!!!
Old 13 June 2004, 04:37 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Surely the point of MP3 players is the ease with which you can download tracks and upload onto the player? The sound quality of MD players may well be better, but who wants to go to all the hassle of recording music onto the things?
Old 13 June 2004, 05:00 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I fully accept that you may have had one for 6 years and it may not have gone wrong, or produced disks that you can't close the ToC on, or fallen apart. However, speaking from experience of a sample of several hundred, perhaps over 1000, over the same period I can assure you that MD is a pretty unreliable format. It is probably on a par with DAT in that respect but in most cases it is economic and possible to fix DAT machines while many MD machines, especially the portables, just go in the bin.

In my experience the portable minidisc units have a life of between 2 and 4 weeks in the application with which I am familiar, though some do last longer. Where possible I am trying to replace them with something similar to these:

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pages/nagraaresbb.php?etat=2

Used in similar circumstances I have found the average working life of the various solid state Nagra units to be, at least, in excess of 2 years. I can't extrapolate further than what I actually have practical experience of. I think this adequately demonstrates the advantages of solid state digital recording devices over those with moving parts.

MDs in fixed installations are, obviously, somewhat more reliable than the portable versions but when compared to other technologies I would still feel happy to consider them "unreliable." Fine for giving someone a disk to play on the bus or similar but I'm going to use the old A80 tape machine as the reliability benchmark here and MD doesn't come close.

It must be said that for many purposes formats such as MD were merely a stop gap measure between analogue devices and memory becoming inexpensive enough for everyone to go to solid state digital. With this in mind I am willing to stand by my comment that MD is dead. It has served its purpose, many will probably remain in use, people will still buy new ones, but the world is moving on. As Pete hinted the big media companies are not sure what to do with a lot of the solid state devices as they are losing control of who can listen to what and who can copy media and all the other things that they like to keep under the thumb.

One interesting point, though, is that you have an older MD machine that is still working. In my experience I have found the older units to be more reliable than the more recent ones, specially when used hard. With this in mind you should hold on to it even if you fancy some of the features in the new ones. Despite what I have said I am aware of a few older MD recorders that have survived to a ripe old age however I am also aware of 1/4 inch portable (Uher) and fixed (Studer) tape machines that saw very hard use and all of them survived 25 years and I expect solid state to be equally reliable.
Old 13 June 2004, 06:37 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Your point about the type of kit your replacing with - Nagra, Studer, Uher - all VERY expensive (albeit nice) machines. Can't even compare to Mindisc.
To compare a Studer A80 to a minidisc is like comparing a Reliant Robin to a Ferrari. Sorry.

However, this is just pathetic banter. We all have different tastes in general.

The key thing here is as previously mentioned, MP3 and to the same extent ATRAC, are both compression formats. Whilst MP3 can be both solid state and HD (comparing MD to HD...hmmm, ever had a HD crash?), and MD is a disk media, it still comes down to what sounds good (subjectively)

Personally, I'd always go analogue, but a Studer A80 is a just too big at put in the lounge!! also, the tape costs are huge!
However, as a stopgap, for portable applications, I prefer the compromise of MD. Give me DVD-a (96KHz - like listening to music with a crash helmet on (CD quality) and then taking it off!!!)

It's all in the listening

Dan

This will also be my last post on this - remember, we're here to help Pete in his quest.
See what you've started Pete
Old 14 June 2004, 08:11 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

hedgehog. I feel i must point out that mine is a hi-fi separate, not a disc-man which is why i may have had a trouble free time. Looking on mail order sites it is clear that there are less top end minidisc systems now as there were 5 years ago which is a shame. MP3 players should be 100% reliable as no moving parts unlike mini disc of course. anyway back to the topic. 2-4 weeks seems a bit harsh LOL!!!
Old 14 June 2004, 10:43 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Minidisc but NOT NetMD - the quality is horrendous!

go on ebay and buy an old MZ35 like what I've got - it's playback is fantastic and will only cost you about a tenner!
Old 14 June 2004, 10:53 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Pete - just go listen to both and make your own mind up based on what you hear
Old 14 June 2004, 11:08 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hi Pete

MP3 wins for me as it's a more compatible format. Your main decision with an MP3 player is whether to go for a hard disk player, eg Apple iPod, Rio Karma, iRiver, for higher storage, or the flash players, Rio Chiba, Creative Labs, iRiver etc for lightness (50g) & protection from knocks.

Some good sources are here:
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk
http://www.mp3-devices.co.uk