Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pet Insurance for a dog how much do u pay ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 12:32 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pet Insurance for a dog how much do u pay ?

Hi all,
currently have pet insurance for 18 month old labrador bitch and it is £14.25 a month ? Am i paying to much as spioke to someone else the other day who was only paying £9 a mnth for a 8 year old lab bitch - so who else pays what and who's it with ????

Cheers.........
Old 17 June 2004, 12:36 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Used to pay in excess of £250 a year... decided it was a bit of a joke, anytime my dog needed vets attention, it always fell just below the £50 excess line. He's ten now and honestly hasn't cost me anything like the premium I was paying. Then again, its all down to type of dog and potential ailments. Mine is a Tibetan Terrier, prone to ear and eye infections, he has to use continuous drops now but still nowhere near the premiums on insurance. BTW the one I did use was by far the best value , Dog Breeders insurers. Pet plan were very expensive.
Old 17 June 2004, 12:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JimmyRB5PRO
Hi all,
currently have pet insurance for 18 month old labrador bitch and it is £14.25 a month ? Am i paying to much as spioke to someone else the other day who was only paying £9 a mnth for a 8 year old lab bitch - so who else pays what and who's it with ????

Cheers.........
depends on postcode, I have a leaflet that gives u a table of is it a mongrol, a pedigree, type of cover and postcode for direct line I think it was and it ranged from £9 but that was worse cover u could get up to £35 a month, they wanted £27.99 to insure my bulldog, fek that...
Old 17 June 2004, 12:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I did a lot of digging around when we got the insurance for our pup and we are paying a lot for it relatively speaking. However, the level of cover was significantly higher than others offered. Many insurance companies will only treat an ilness up to £X and or for 12 months. The policy we have will treat the dog for the rest of its life. So if for example the dog at 3 years needed treatment till it dies at 13 years, my insurance would cover it, most others would cover year 1 and you would be stuck with the next 9 years.

So what I am trying to get at, it isn't all about price, it is how much security you want and how much risk you are prepared to take. I suspect the cover on £9 is rather on the thin side. I pay £19.95 a month, with http://www.petplan.co.uk/
Old 17 June 2004, 12:40 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Don't just look at the price - check out what's covered. For an 18 month old you're probably OK. But as the animal gets older most insurance companies have a limit for taking on new pets - usually around 7 years, so if you're going to switch do it now!

Also check about ongoing claims for chronic conditions. People like Petplan do tend to be more expensive but if your dog were to get arthritis (like a lot of bigger dogs do) then they have policies which will continue to pay for however long the dog is ill. Other companies will only pay till the end of that policy year and then stop abruptly! You're then left with the difficult decision of deciding how long you can afford to pay the vets bills before...

Sounds horrid but, been there......
Old 17 June 2004, 12:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Pay about £10 a month through direct line for Scooby. She is a 2 year old Staffy. Last year I didn't claim at all (£45 excess with Directline). This year, I've had two claims, totalling more than £340, so yes it is worth it. Just remember that even a minor injury could mean a day or two at the vets and the bills mount up very quickly. £10 a month is well worth it in my opinion. Incidently, Directline have been very good and paid up on bothe occassions within two weeks of the claims being submitted with no hassle.

Chris
Old 17 June 2004, 12:45 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I pay £11.50 per month for my cocker spaniel

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2004, 12:53 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I pay £9.95 per month for a German Shepherd with Lloyds TSB. They will pay up to £3k during the period of insurance [ie per annum] and this amount is carried forward for existing illnesses to the next period of insurance. Excess is £50
Old 17 June 2004, 01:47 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

We pay around £20 a month each with More Than for two Rotties so £40 per month

Very comprehensive cover though :

Up to £6000 for each and every accident and illness, for as long as they need the treatment - many other policies limit you to just the first 12 months of treatment

Cover includes alternative therapies such as acupuncture and homeopathy

Up to £600 towards advertising and a reward if your pet goes missing

Up to £600 in boarding fees for your pet if you are hospitalised for more than 4 days

Up to £600 towards the purchase price of your pet if they go missing, are stolen or fatally hurt in an accident

Up to £600 towards the purchase price of your pet if you lose them through illness before they reach 11 years old

Up to £1 million liability insurance if your dog causes an accident or damages someone's property

Access to a free Serious Illness and Bereavement counselling line

One year's free Petback Protect membership with the Missing Pet Bureau, offering practical help if your pet is stolen or goes missing

Excess is £40 per illness/accident

Cheap at the price if you ask me

As has been said above, check out what you are getting before comparing prices.

Last edited by Diablo; 17 June 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 17 June 2004, 01:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Cover includes alternative therapies such as acupuncture and homeopathy
Good grief, it's bad enough people think this stuff actually works on humans without subjecting it to their poor pets who can't tell you not to be so damn stupid
Old 17 June 2004, 01:58 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Another vote for More Than.
3 Boxers, costs a bit each month but the amount we have claimed prob. covers the cost of all 3 for the rest of their days.
Old 17 June 2004, 09:24 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

I'm paying £10 a month for my rottie which covers everything.

I should tell you who i'm with? but cant remember at the minute LOL!
Old 17 June 2004, 09:32 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Can't remeber who our 2 are with or how much it costs

But one of them has a bill (still growing) of over £1k at the moment so worth it
Old 17 June 2004, 09:39 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

My parents Rottie has just had cruciate operation - bill came to £1600!

Unsure what their excess was but they're damn glad they have insurance in the first instance (as they always have had).
Old 17 June 2004, 09:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Maggie used to be insured by the Kennel Club, well, whomever they recommened to use. It's been a while so can't remember how much it was, but probably was a bit on the expensive side, but it's certainly worth it, at least premiums won't rocket as you can't 'mod' the dog lol
Old 17 June 2004, 09:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Have owned dogs for some years now. Now have 3 (Golden R + 2 Cavaliers). Decided to cover them for first 12 months just in case but then stop and take the risk ourselves. It was around £300 - £400 per annum. I reckoned that over 10 years say would we need cover for £3000 plus illness? DL
Old 18 June 2004, 08:41 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

This thread

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=336996 is a good example of making sure you have enough cover.

D