Private Plate - help please.

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 10:14 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Private Plate - help please.

Hi,

I'm looking at a used car this afternoon, which the current owner has a private plate on. He wants to keep the plate, so whats the process for returning the car to its original reg - does it cost and how long does it take?

Thanks,
dela
Old 25 June 2004, 10:20 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate what hell have to do is go to the dvla office and either get the plate put on retention for 1 year which costs 105 pounds or he can transfer it to another car 80 pounds, either way hell get the original plates back and and theyll stamp the mot with the original plate and give him another road tax with the original plate on
but hell have to give the log book back to them and theyll have to send him a new logbook with his name on this takes about 2- 3 weeks to come back, hes not supposed to sell the car within this period because he still would be liable for the car during this while. hope that helps
Old 25 June 2004, 10:30 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate - just the advice I needed!

For armed is for warned
Old 25 June 2004, 10:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I dont think you get the original plate from the car, you get another plate issued AFAIK. My old MR2 was MXXX CMB originally, then had a private TOY plate, then when I bought it had been put back to MXXX BMA
Old 25 June 2004, 10:39 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I dont think you get the original plate from the car, you get another plate issued AFAIK. My old MR2 was MXXX CMB originally, then had a private TOY plate, then when I bought it had been put back to MXXX BMA
This could be interesting - the guy is meant to be emigrating next week, so no time to sort all this out. No doubt I'll be left with a cherished plate of "B1G D1CK"
Old 25 June 2004, 10:59 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Just did mine and it took about 2 weeks to get the V5 back with the old number on it. I was re-issued with the number my car had originally.

Got the new tax disc back within a couple of days, then just over a week to get the amended V5 back from Swansea.
Old 25 June 2004, 03:00 PM
P5TPB
Scooby Regular

Default It can be done a lot quicker......

It can be done in one day.........as you can see by my profile, my reg used to be P5TPB, as I am selling the car I needed to change it back.......

......My nearest DVLA office was in Reading, so I went into the office with all the docs (eg: MOT, V5, Tax Disc, etc....) and the retention form and then they changed everything over to the original reg over the counter. It took about 1.5hrs and that was it. They will then send the new V5 in the post, arrived about 4-5 days later........Hope this helps.

Tim / P5TPB