Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question about London congestion charge..

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 01:13 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
Are they really going to charge me a fiver to drive round the one way system for 30 seconds and back out again?
Err...of course they are....the boundary is there for a reason....you cross it, you get charged. If there were exceptions, it'd be chaos.
Old 25 June 2004, 01:13 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Can you not park outside the congestion zone and walk?
Old 25 June 2004, 01:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Err...of course they are....the boundary is there for a reason....you cross it, you get charged. If there were exceptions, it'd be chaos.
He's a cat owner, you don't seriously expect him to be responsible for his actions do you
Old 25 June 2004, 01:24 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

LOL I could imlach but a days parking will be £25 in an NCP car park where I have a space for the day in my office underground car park for free - just that bast@rd Ken Livingstone is gonna charge me a fiver to get to it 10 yards inside the bloody zone
Sounds like £5 is a bargain then
Old 25 June 2004, 01:28 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Everybody loves a smart-ar$e

Do you drive in bus-lanes due to only having to use them for 10 yards?
What singles you out as "the special case"?
Old 25 June 2004, 01:32 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

look for the cameras that take the pictures of the number plate. They are on black poles and are easily visible. Some of them are quite far into the zone so it might worth chancing it.
If you do cover your plate though, make sure you wear a blalaclava, those CCTV cameras underneath the plate recognition ones aint there for fun y'know.
astraboy.
Old 25 June 2004, 01:33 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Sounds like £5 will easily compensate for the stress involved in avoidance....
Old 25 June 2004, 01:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

FFS, just pay the £5. For a one off, it's not worth the potential hassle. A plod could easily see you cover up your plates or a member of the public see and report you etc. Stopping your car and getting out and covering your plates is certainly gonna draw attention, esp if you're in rush hour.
Old 25 June 2004, 01:45 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Unusually, I agree with Bravo here.

That's bad news, there should be a minimum time limit for your time within the CC area.
Old 25 June 2004, 01:58 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
That's bad news, there should be a minimum time limit for your time within the CC area.
Why? No matter how short a time you are in there, you are adding to the congestion that the charge is trying to prevent....

What is different from these two examples in terms of congestion :

1) Driving to B2Z's office at 8am, and driving out at 8.01am.
2) Driving to B2Z's office at 8am, and driving out at 11am.

Both involve the same distances driven, same road use, just different amount of time where the car is NOT being used....
Old 25 June 2004, 02:01 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

You can pay it online.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, a bloke in a balaclava with covered numberplates driving a fast car. How many people seeing that, whatever time of day, wouldn't phone the police.

If you're really desparate to not pay the HUGE sum of five whole pounds then drive in before 7am and leave after 6.30pm and don't use it during the day.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:03 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

So it wouldn't bother you then imlach?

Next time you use a parking meter for a one minute visit, make sure you stick a tenner in instead.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:08 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
So it wouldn't bother you then imlach?

Next time you use a parking meter for a one minute visit, make sure you stick a tenner in instead.
No, because it isn't a time based charge like a parking meter - it is a congestion charge. By driving in & out, you have created the same congestion no matter how far apart the times you drive in & out are.

You could argue you should get charged every time you cross the boundary to cover the true congestion (ab)users, but then that is unfairly penalising those at the edge, and doesn't charge those driving continuously within the zone....

So, I imagine the method they have put in place was considered the fairest for all.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:22 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I am going to be charged money for driving literally 10 yards and then will be out the zone - thats what I object to. Its not how much it is, its the ludicracy of the whole scheme and how its not thought through properly.
So how would you have done it?

Those on the boundary are always going to feel agrreived, but the boundary surely has to be somewhere....it can't be some fuzzy boundary that is moveable at will to suit certain individuals?

By driving WITHIN the boundary at 4pm, you are contributing to congestion surely? The masses are driving OUT of the zone at that time along with you......
Old 25 June 2004, 02:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you won't be using your car while there, why not save yourself the hassle and get the Train down? Or fly if you live near a major airport?

Besides which, if you are travelling there for business, I would have thought that your company should have picked up the cost of the congestion charge anyway as a valid travelling expense?
Old 25 June 2004, 02:33 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Not if I am down an empty side street thats 10 yards from the boundary. If I had a camera here I could take a pic from the window, its laughable, there is no traffic at all and to drive from under my window to the boundary is going to cost me £5 which is what the joke is.

I would have done it with both a time limit addition where someone who is in the zone less than 5 minutes isn't charged and also the boundary has a 200 metre hashed area where you can prove that you do not travel beyond this 200 metre boundary and your place of work is within this boundary area you are not charged
As I have already said, someone in the congestion zone for 5 minutes is creating as much congestion as the person who drives in, parks for 30 mins, and drives out......

A 200m hashed zone? So what about those whose office is 210m into the zone? Do you think they'd moan?

You said your office is 10 yards from the boundary, but you have to drive 300 yards in a one-way system....

Why not drive the wrong way down a one-way street then? If you're wanting to break rules, why not go the whole hog
Old 25 June 2004, 02:37 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

You are being charged money to be a tiny distance inside the zone where you wont be contributing to any congestion like if you continue driving past the building and further into the city.
Yes, but do you accept that the boundary has to begin and end somewhere. Your case would be replicated in every office in the zone if boundaries were moved closer and closer...

Someone's office is always going to lose out.....
Old 25 June 2004, 02:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Olly i'm using the car to come in on that day instead of my motorbike so that I can drive straight to Leeds from work instead of having to travel all the way home, get changed and then drive all the way back up and past London again.
Fair point I guess, but I wasn't aware of that obviously

If you could see the reality of what I am talking about you would actually understand that the building sits on the boundary with the cameras outside it. The entrance to the car park lays on the side of the building on a quiet side street which is half in the boundary and half out, ie you can drive the far end of this quiet road and not be in the zone and drive 10 yeards down it and all of a sudden you are in the zone.

Yes i'm making a fuss over nothing and yes I will pay the £5 no doubt but the fact is its a very stupid scheme in such instances as mine and others who work here. You are being charged money to be a tiny distance inside the zone where you wont be contributing to any congestion like if you continue driving past the building and further into the city.
It gets fustrating when you have a sitution that affects you and nobody else can see why you have an issue with it, doesn't it?
Old 25 June 2004, 02:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Phew - glad you saw the funny side
Old 25 June 2004, 02:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I shall look at it in a whole new light, its only costing me £5 for secure parking as opposed to £25 in the NCP car park - bargain (should still be bloody free though you thieving ****** Ken )
Blame the silly sods that voted him in, and kept him in

Quick Reply: Question about London congestion charge..