Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Guest at a Wedding in August - What to wear?!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 09:54 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guest at a Wedding in August - What to wear?!

Evening all!

I've managed to get to 22 without being dragged along to a wedding, but my girlfriend has really gone and done it this time. She's been invited to the wedding of one of her female workmates and I've been invited as her other half. Needless to say, I was informed not asked. Anyway - I guess it could be quite fun so I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Anyway - being completely clueless about this kind of thing, does anyone have any (sensible) suggestions as to what I should wear?

We've been invited to the ceremony (Church do) and the evening disco thing. I've planned to just wear the kind of stuff I'd go clubbing in, to the evening do - loafers, jeans and a dark, collared shirt etc but I have no idea about the ceremony.

I don't know the bride, groom or any of the guests, but I'd like to dress pretty sharply to make a good impression and (as her colleagues ask her who that sexy bloke by the bar is) hopefully also make my GF realise just how lucky she is to be going out with me...

Then my opnly problem is: how to distract her when that bouquet gets chucked...

Cheers everyone!
Old 28 June 2004, 10:14 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

If the ceremony is in a church, then you night-club get up will look a bit different from the others....if you are an 'all-day' guest, there won't be much opportunity (if any) to change...you go straight from the church to the reception for the wedding breakfast.

Suit would be better....or if the wedding party is in kilts, wear a kilt
Old 28 June 2004, 10:15 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS Weddings are great fun. Just get well pi$$ed on the free food & drink, and you'll be fine.
Old 28 June 2004, 10:16 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PPS Jeans, even at the evening reception, would look a bit out of place. The dress is usually smart to formal....
Old 28 June 2004, 10:18 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

second vote for the suit, always the way forward.
Old 28 June 2004, 10:21 PM
ChrisB

Suit (with tie) all the way IMO.

If the wedding do is at a hotel and you're staying over, then you could take a change of shirt for the evening do. I never bother, it just wastes drinking time

Chris
Going to his fourth wedding in five weeks on Saturday (damn more food and booze!)
Old 28 June 2004, 10:27 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Suit all day, maybe ditch the tie in the evening for an open neck shirt, but Jeans are a no-no

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2004, 05:20 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Suit all day, maybe ditch the tie in the evening for an open neck shirt, but Jeans are a no-no
Thanks for all the replies guys - I only planned to wear the 'clubbing gear' to the Evening disco thing. As far as I can gather from the GF, there are 3 parts to this malarky:

Daytime Ceremony: Church. DEFO want smart gear for that - it's this clothing that I'm looking for advice on.

Reception with Meal etc: Family only - we're not going to this part

Evening Disco - nibbles to eat, drinks and disco - fairly laid-back as I gather.

Does this change anyones ideas? I'm assuming that Suit and Tie is the way to go for the Ceremony - and I'm happy to wear it for the evening do as well. If the evening do IS much more laid-back, is the suit/shirt still the way to go, or would more casual attire be suitable.

I know it's difficult for you guys to guess what kind of evening do it'll be (even I don't know )

Cheers!
Old 29 June 2004, 05:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Suit and tie for the ceremony - absolutely, and a resonably conservative suit as well, not bright red with lime green pin stipes or anything!! At the end of the day, the bride and groom should be the ones getting the attention! I tend to go for Navy or Dark Grey, possibility of Brown or something for summer months
Old 29 June 2004, 05:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Get a nice suit and a colorful shirt. I wore a nice dark suit with a red shirt for the day and an electric blue shirt for the evening do.
Old 29 June 2004, 05:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pale grey suit, pink or pale blue tie.
Old 29 June 2004, 05:39 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I would definitely wear a suit, no doubt about it. If you want to dress smart, then wear a white shirt with cufflinks, and a proper collar - not button down. I would advise against those shirts with huge cutaway collars too - do you know the type I mean? You'll look like an estate agent otherwise.

Make sure you wear the best shoes you have, and that they go with the suit. 'Proper' dress shoes are the order of the day here. You don't want anything with chunky rubber soles! You could possibly wear brown ones if they match the suit, but black is probably sharper. Oh, and match the shoes to your belt if you're wearing one.

I would avoid going looking like a footballer too. There's always one at weddings - Beige suit, crocodile shoes, and a big-collared white shirt undone to expose the chest. Not the ticket really.
Old 29 June 2004, 06:03 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Get a nice suit and a colorful shirt. I wore a nice dark suit with a red shirt for the day and an electric blue shirt for the evening do.
Makes me glad to be colour blind
Old 29 June 2004, 06:08 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Stop stitching the poor guy up chaps! Everyone knows that the first wedding of the season where you are invited by your partner is farmyard fancy dress. I recommend a chicken suit or maybe go as half a pantomime cow (ar*e end).

Hope this helps.
Old 29 June 2004, 08:54 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dapster
Stop stitching the poor guy up chaps! Everyone knows that the first wedding of the season where you are invited by your partner is farmyard fancy dress. I recommend a chicken suit or maybe go as half a pantomime cow (ar*e end).

Hope this helps.
PMSL

Seriously, how about asking the bride/groom?
Old 29 June 2004, 09:52 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

I recommend a Ted Baker Endurance II suit. It's light, breathble and comfortabe, won't crease, and it looks the dogs! A bargain at £300. Plus if you end up wearing it to the evening do, you can just swap the shirt for a round-necked top and wear it under the jacket and still look dashing.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where less than 75% of the blokes weren't wearing a white shirt.

- Foamy
Old 29 June 2004, 09:57 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
not bright red with lime green pin stipes or anything!!
WHAT?! So not only do I have to wear a suit, but I CAN'T even use the one I've already got?!
Old 29 June 2004, 09:59 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
PMSL

Seriously, how about asking the bride/groom?
The GF knows the Bride, but as I don't, I'd feel a bit odd asking my GF to ask her... Besides, from what I've heard, the bride has bad taste so she'd probably suggest the red/green suit idea anyway
Old 29 June 2004, 10:01 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foamy
I recommend a Ted Baker Endurance II suit. It's light, breathble and comfortabe, won't crease, and it looks the dogs! A bargain at £300. Plus if you end up wearing it to the evening do, you can just swap the shirt for a round-necked top and wear it under the jacket and still look dashing.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where less than 75% of the blokes weren't wearing a white shirt.

- Foamy
Any pics of the Endurance II mate? (Before I go and get measured up)
Old 29 June 2004, 10:02 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
I would definitely wear a suit, no doubt about it. If you want to dress smart, then wear a white shirt with cufflinks, and a proper collar - not button down. I would advise against those shirts with huge cutaway collars too - do you know the type I mean? You'll look like an estate agent otherwise.

Make sure you wear the best shoes you have, and that they go with the suit. 'Proper' dress shoes are the order of the day here. You don't want anything with chunky rubber soles! You could possibly wear brown ones if they match the suit, but black is probably sharper. Oh, and match the shoes to your belt if you're wearing one.

I would avoid going looking like a footballer too. There's always one at weddings - Beige suit, crocodile shoes, and a big-collared white shirt undone to expose the chest. Not the ticket really.
Thanks for the reply mate - Point taken about the collar and shoes.
Old 29 June 2004, 10:06 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

What no FOOD ???????????????????????????????????

Stingy beggars

Dont think i have ever been to an all dayer without going for the meal & speeches

Sneek in its worth it
Old 29 June 2004, 10:13 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
What no FOOD?
Couldn't agree more mate! Think I'll gatecrash the reception - at the end of the day, it's the GF who'll have to apologise for me as I'm her guest! Besides - it would be showing my enthusiasm in their matrimony. I think they'll appreciate that.

Last edited by mad_dr; 29 June 2004 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Appaling spelling
Old 29 June 2004, 10:38 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

Food or no food, aren't you suposed to show enthusiasm for the bridesmaids?
Old 30 June 2004, 09:24 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

clothes would be good.
Old 30 June 2004, 09:29 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

ask your GF - that way you will stay out of trouble
Old 30 June 2004, 11:02 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foamy

- Foamy
Agreed. You cant really go wrong with a dark suit, white shirt and colourful (But not too outrageous) tie.
Its why its called a suit innit, "Suit"able for every occasion
astraboy.
Old 13 March 2005, 07:41 PM
Accessoriesformen
Scooby Newbie

Edited to remove commercial content. Please contact webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk for details of advertising opportunities on ScoobyNet.

Last edited by AndyC_772; 13 March 2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Commercial