Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Perplexed....

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 09:45 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Perplexed....

Why is it that solicitors that represent people they know to be guilty are not charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice?

This has been bothering me all day - is there some legal precedent?
Old 29 June 2004, 09:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Innoncent until proven by the court to be guilty?

I have wondered about this myself from time to time. Mob lawyers *know* that their clients are more than likley bent as hell, but still they defend them as if they were not.
Old 29 June 2004, 09:48 PM
roybadcock
Scooby Newbie

I don't know but maybe it is because it is their job to represent someone whether in the right or wrong. Most people need a legal rep in court and they are just stating what the defendant is saying etc rather than claiming to have said or done wrong. They are not the ones on trial.

It has got me thinking though!!
Old 29 June 2004, 09:59 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Thats a very good question actually! Has definately got me stumped.

The only things i can come up with are:

1.) A solicitor never actually makes claim that any statement is a personal view or that he can confirm it's truth, it is merely a relay of information from the client and as such i would imagine the court system is set up to understand this.

2.) I would guess that the court also understands a solicitor has a duty to regard any information passed to him by his client as truth without question and so the solicitor could give the impression that he did not know the information was false.

I think the key thing must be that the solicitor could in theory be guilty of conspiracy to pervert but there would be virtually no way of proving it based on the above.

may be way off the mark but just a guess, would be interested to hear if anyone could clarify.

David

Edited: It would appear from a bit of research that the main point is the solicitor is always acting "on the instructions of the client" so never actually verifies the integrity of the information themselves.

Last edited by djuk; 29 June 2004 at 10:16 PM.