Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Supervisery question

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2004, 08:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supervisery question

My former employee has been taken on as a superviser/team leader in a medium firm.He has been offered a pound an hour more than the staff of 8 he is to supervise.He received the contract which states his position same as his team, not as a superviser although his salary on cotract is offered as a pound/hour more than his team he is gonna manage.
He has been given a contract to sign but there's no job description and persons specification! He was just interviewed and taken on.(bright boy!)
I wanna ask if
1.anyone knows what sort of proportion the superviser should be paid as compare to the staff he manages.Is there any general policy about it?
2.Not mentioning him as superviser on the contract, is the company getting away from giving him future payrises as the other supervisers get within the firm ?
3.Can't his staff object on his salary when he is under the same title as them?

Please note he hasnt got anyone to deputise him.I am not asking for the salary difference between Deputy superviser and superviser.I am asking the salary difference between the supervised staff and the superviser.

To me this company doesnt sound professional enough to me and he should run away from their "lucrative" offers!

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 July 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 15 July 2004, 08:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Supervisor not superviser BTW !
Old 15 July 2004, 10:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well? Anyone knows anything?
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 15 July 2004, 11:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't worry too much.

We have our electricians and above them we have electrical chargeman which is a supervisory role. They have the same contract and the same terms and conditions. We pay the chargeman a different rate in bonus but it's a small difference with the amount of responsibility the chargeman takes on.
Most chargeman see it as a stepping stone to management so are happy to take the responsibility for a small pay increase.
The also get the advantage of many management and safety course which look good on the CV.

Saying that the workman and chargeman can earn more money than the management if they earn the bonus and work the overtime. I'm salaried so my earnings dont alter, three of my electricians and a chargeman had higher earnings than myself last year. They put the time and effort in and deserved it though.

BTW, our company employs over 6000 people.

Cheers
Lee
Old 15 July 2004, 11:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>The also get the advantage of many management and safety course which look good on the CV.

Saying that the workman and chargeman can earn more money than the management if they earn the bonus and work the overtime.

Well, he will not be sent on any courses BTW and theres no overtime.
Shame !
Thanks for your help!
Old 15 July 2004, 11:32 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Well, he will not be sent on any courses
I hope he fully understands the legal requirements of doing a supervisory role especially if the job involves any risk.

Supervisors are becoming the No1 target for the HSE in accident investigations and prosecutions.
The HSE regard a supervisors primary role as ensuring health and safety not ensuring production or work rates.

Cheers
Lee
Old 15 July 2004, 11:49 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

His job description should state clearly what his responsibilities are, if it doesn't the it sounds like a poor management structure.

Depends what his responsibilities are, but a pound an hour more sound's prety dim.
I was on double pay rate from anyone in my team (25 staff)
It's up to the company who pay the wages what their supervisors are woth but if they aint paid much more than the workers, the workers wont bother too much about him if that makes sence.
It's not to hard to find out what someones earning/worth
Old 16 July 2004, 12:29 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

logiclee, there wouldnt me much H&S risks apart from VDU assessment stuff coz it will only involve PC & telephone stuff.
Soty, the lad is very bright and I do think the company is taking a p!ss.I dont think he should act desparate to go for cr@p like this.He has got a gleaming reference from me and the others.I agree the contract has to be explicit.Company shouldnt play with people's future like this.I wish he could continue with us but it was a year fixed term contract.
Thanks
Old 16 July 2004, 07:09 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

1.There is no fixed rate.
2.No
3.No

I'm surprised they are not sending him on any courses though,all supervisors need HSE and man management training.
Old 16 July 2004, 03:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I know! Thats why I think Its PANTS :