Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera Detectors To Be Banned

Just read this on the yahoo website:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040716/344/ey55n.html
Old 16 July 2004, 09:52 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

All GPS devices will be ok then, as they don’t detect cameras.

Anyway most GPS mapping has the sites plotted on them, how are they going to make that illegal. Would be like saying the location of Tesco’s cant be plotted on the map.

Ajax
Old 16 July 2004, 09:53 AM
BAH
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=345002
Old 16 July 2004, 09:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah so another one of those money making schemes for the government no doubt they are loosing too much revenue to these devices.... and considering that they do more than just "detect" speed camera's, ie some give you the speedlimits of unfamiliar roads, show you where schools are, let you know where accident blackspots are.... lets see what happens when the first person who takes them on after they ban these, saying its for safety reasons they have one fitted or bad signposting of roadsigns (which is pretty common if you ask me!)

Tony
Old 16 July 2004, 10:31 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What make me laugh is the Camera Bike it has a little speed camera sign over Number plate the Camera can take the speed and Photo about 1 mile away at that distance you wouldn't be able to see the Bike let alone the sign.

So Road Safety device or portable Cash machine !!!!

Tony
Old 16 July 2004, 10:37 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laser & radar detectors will be illegal, GPS detectors will be ok still. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...180717,00.html

If you want to make your voice heard, join the Association of British Drivers. http://www.abd.org.uk/
Old 16 July 2004, 10:39 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Nick
Laser & radar detectors will be illegal, GPS detectors will be ok still. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...180717,00.html

If you want to make your voice heard, join the Association of British Drivers. http://www.abd.org.uk/
Road angel and snooper have made a big mistake then by making the laser unit integral.
GPS only units soon to be released me thinks...

Dipster
Old 16 July 2004, 11:37 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

i'm glad my radar/laser unit on my GPS system is detachable then
The GPS function is the most use anyway
Old 16 July 2004, 11:57 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm glad my Laser LRC 100 door opener is nicely hidden away out of sight then
Old 16 July 2004, 12:41 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

I think lots of pepole are going to be fitting automatic garage doors to thier houses then
Old 16 July 2004, 01:09 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Was thinking of adding a laser jammer to the S6NEo already on teh car. Does anyone know what the penalty for being caught with one is? I know you can say it is for a garage door, but are they likely to check?

I don't want a conviction for something more serious if I could just take the points, seems to defeat the object.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of being caught using a jammer?

Thanks

Nick
Old 16 July 2004, 02:08 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think this idea by our beloved civil servants, who are there to protect the freedom & values of individuals, absolutely stinks !!!

The case has been made in the English Courts, through due legal process, confirming the legal right of motorists to have, and use this equipment. Now our government / dictatorship / nanny-state masters (delete as applicable) come along and overturn a valid legal decision.... Why? The excuse they came up with, is becasue drivers use them as some kind of speeding tool. The real reason, I guess most of us agree, is becase they've been forced not to hide the speed scameras and what some way of trying to redress the balance in their favour to maximise "revenue".

I'm not gonna go into the arguement about cameras vs real policing here, but the flooding of the country's roads with cameras is a joke. What annoys me most is that the DoT are riding rough-shod over legal decisions & precidents. We have a right, as road users, to see, and know the whereabouts of these speed traps, whether camera or hand held, and I cant understand why it is now going to be "illegal" to use detectors to supliment good old visual observation.

I support the view that detectors and the like actually make drivers safer, through increased awareness, and totally reject the idea that everyone who has a detector is an instant & total speeding "criminal".....

Rant mode off.... Feel better now !
Old 16 July 2004, 02:08 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At best, a laser jammer could be seen as obstructing the police in yadda yadda their duty - Big fine. The government could also (try to) make it a specific offence. Worst case is conspiracy to unlawfully exceed speed limit yadda yadda - VERY serious, possible jail, but very hard to prove - especially if you have a garage door!
Old 16 July 2004, 02:31 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

you got to have a gate / garage door at home to back up your installation of the laser jammers installed on your rides.

I have a electric gate at my workshop, i have friends who also "use my electric gate" to visit me at my place of work.

These laser squad vans are everywhere now, always on the straight sections of main roads and dual carrigeways.

Really makes my blood boil.

Funny thing is , no one travels over 75 mph, only the peeps with the lasser jammers travel faster, and then you see a trail of slip streamers behind the person who is travelling at 80 +

What ever is going on, im waiting for the first motorway pile up, due to 10 cars slipstreaming the front car who has jammers installed !!! LOL !!!!!
Old 16 July 2004, 06:02 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Well I've got good news for all of you!!
The LRC 400 will be here shortly, does the same job as the LRC 100 complete with transponder/receiver to either activate outdoor lights or activate the garage door opener! A legitimate use at last, pity about the side effects!!
I've no idea on the price as yet but anybody interested in it PM me as I'm taking pre-orders now.

Jason
Old 16 July 2004, 07:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on.
WHY??????

'cos it reveals that GATSOs on safe dual carriageways are almost always loaded, but ones outside schools or in built-up areas are usually empty. Money is the motive, and not safety

Policing should be open and transparent - when they start to hide things, you should be afraid, very afraid!!!

mb
Old 16 July 2004, 07:58 PM
Gallardo
Scooby Regular

I think I have been caught today on a 50mph dual carriagway overtaking an old boy in his corsa who was doing around 35. I pulled out ot the second lane only to discouver the road was turning into a single strectch so I put my foot down to get past safly, only to find a small van which looked like an AA van but with a sado in it holding a speed gun.

I rekon I have been busted, say another van along a farmilary stretch of road later, 2 mile straight road.

I'm going to have to invest in a device, I want one that detects the equipment in the vans not worried about the fixed cameras as I can see them from a mile off, which unit is the best around.
Old 17 July 2004, 01:00 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

You need a "jammer" as by the time a laser detector alerts you to the fact you're being targeted, its too late.

Perhaps I could help....!

Jason
Old 17 July 2004, 12:25 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bloody typical,
and they still maintian there not money making machines..

The A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton is the most dangerous road in England. There are no speed cameras on this road
The A453 between Clifton & J24 is the 2nd most dangeours road in Nott'm and guess what........yep not 1 camera