Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

This man should be kept locked up.

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2004, 09:13 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This man should be kept locked up.

Freed sex offender 'likely to kill'

A serious sex offender is to be freed, despite psychiatrists warning he is likely to assault women and kill, a police chief has warned.
North Wales chief constable Richard Brunstrom said nothing could be done to prevent the man's release because he is not mentally ill.

An MP will urge the Home Office to tighten rules on prisoner release.

A police spokesman said the man will be "monitored actively and closely" when he is released from prison.

Mr Brunstrom said there were "four or five" sex offenders in north Wales considered "extremely dangerous".

North Wales Police will do their utmost to protect the public within the parameters of the law

Police spokesman

In this case we are waiting for him to kill someone so that we can arrest him," Mr Brunstrom told The Independent newspaper.

"It is a ludicrous situation".

He added: "In my view, we are failing to protect our citizens from dangerous offenders. We should rethink whether these people are allowed out into society."

FFS, and Blair and Blunkett say theryre going to combat crime. Yeah right.

Chip.
Old 20 July 2004, 09:29 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Ah of course, our favourite chief constable, Mr Brunstrom. Far too busy catching speeders no doubt!
Old 20 July 2004, 10:24 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Ah of course, our favourite chief constable, Mr Brunstrom. Far too busy catching speeders no doubt!
Far too busy to do what exactly?

FFS I don't like his policy on speeding anymore than you do but at least he's speaking out against the stupid laws in this country. Just keep the thread on topic.

Chances of Blair or Blunkett listening though? ZERO!
Old 20 July 2004, 10:28 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Personally I think anyone who is dead cert to sexually/assault/kill people IS mentally ill and thus could be sectioned under the mental health act.
Old 20 July 2004, 10:32 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Not if they cant be treated.
Old 21 July 2004, 07:58 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
Far too busy to do what exactly?
Well if Brunstroms force are happy to set round-the-clock traps and hang about waiting for motorists to break the law, why can't they do the same with sex offenders?

Why not mount surveillance on the bloke 24/7.

Its the harder option and there is no financial return, that's why not.
Old 21 July 2004, 08:03 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Problem is ajm (and I do agree with you) that would be in contravention of his human rights (I'm not joking). These are sad times that we live in when the law allows such people to walk free.

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2004, 08:19 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

And of course this would have nothing to do with the fact that Brunstrom has been taken to task for only ever focusing on the heinous crime of speeding while nearly all other crime goes seemingly unchecked.

Hence he feels it is time to shout his big mouth off to those bastions of honesty, the British press, about something other than that to show he is a great 'all round' law enforcer.

tiggers.
Old 21 July 2004, 08:44 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Problem is ajm (and I do agree with you) that would be in contravention of his human rights (I'm not joking). These are sad times that we live in when the law allows such people to walk free.
I take your point Chris, but mounting surveillance on someone is acceptable if they think the subject is going to commit a crime (or at least it seems to be for every other offence)!
Old 21 July 2004, 08:59 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Why not mount surveillance on the bloke 24/7
As Chris said it would be a breach of his human rights and the people doing the surveillance on him would ultimately end up losing their jobs. Wonderful Government sigining us up to all these great European laws.
Old 21 July 2004, 09:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

I heard this on the news yesterday i think, it is just idiotic that 'our' laws atre such that this can happen.

The law is there to protect the innocent but in this case it does not.

Thios man should not be allowed out.

I aso heard on the news of a toddler who died due to horrific injuries inflicted from its parents. fractured ribs head injuries boken bones and many old injuries.

The parents ended up being done for neglect!

What a fecking travesty.

About time we got tough on offenders, protect our people and do the right thing not the PC and/or eurobollox cr@p we have to puit up with.

Rant over!
Old 21 July 2004, 09:31 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan L
As Chris said it would be a breach of his human rights and the people doing the surveillance on him would ultimately end up losing their jobs. Wonderful Government sigining us up to all these great European laws.
If watching a known sex offender who, in the professional opinion of the psychiatrists who have analysed him is almost certain to reoffend, is against human rights then why is having a camera pointed at your car in case you speed not against human rights?

In one example there is valid information to suggest the sex offender is going to commit a crime. In the other there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Mrs Miggins on her way to church is going to speed until she does!

I honestly don't believe that it is a question of not being able to do anything, it is that their priorities are wrong. If they can't touch the potential offender then the officers skulking behind hedgrows and verges with lasers should be redeployed into the community to watch over the areas where vulnerable people could be attacked. This is more important, its what the public want and its what should be their priority!
Old 21 July 2004, 09:43 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

The sex offender has rights too you know!!!!!!!!!

And what silly w*nker decided that would be a good thing??

Last edited by RB5 Paul; 21 July 2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 21 July 2004, 09:45 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Again, ajm, I can't disagree with the way you are thinking. He could go on the sex offenders register, but I'd bet a large portion of my mortgage on the fact that if the police were to mount a 24/7 surveillance op on the basis that he might commit another crime - he would be able to sue them for invasion or privacy, contravening human rights etc etc.

Agreed about the speed camers too.

Chris
Old 21 July 2004, 09:48 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris l
Again, ajm, I can't disagree with the way you are thinking. He could go on the sex offenders register, but I'd bet a large portion of my mortgage on the fact that if the police were to mount a 24/7 surveillance op on the basis that he might commit another crime - he would be able to sue them for invasion or privacy, contravening human rights etc etc.
Sad but true

What a great country we live in
Old 21 July 2004, 10:46 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I honestly don't believe that it is a question of not being able to do anything, it is that their priorities are wrong.
Ajm as I said before I do not disagree with your feelings about Mr Brunstrom and his speeding policies. However the fact remains that this is only a small part of policing and they do actually do other types of police work. You speak from an outside perspective.

The reason they can't do anything is that putting 24/7 watch on someone is directed surveillance. Putting a speed camera up does not target any one person.

Until people stop whinging about these things to each other on public BBS's and start doing something about it (as B2ZSPS says) nothing will change. This is the great 'British' way whinge about something but don't do anything about it.
Old 21 July 2004, 10:53 AM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

Nathan, what do you think of the European initiative to create a European crime record, so that when serious sex offenders move to another country the police can have access to this information ?

Not saying I'm pro all European laws, but don't you think some initiatives may be worth it, and can not be done on a national level ?
Old 21 July 2004, 10:59 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Nathan, I do appreciate the legal restrictions on the police in this instance, its just that I find it hard to believe that they can do nothing.

Instead of getting up and announcing they are "waiting for him to kill someone" why not be proactive and send out officers to brief vulnerable people and communities and show more presence in the area. If they havn't got the man power to do this then pull the officers off speed traps and send them instead. This is more important than speeding and that is the message he should be giving the public!!!
Old 21 July 2004, 12:02 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SomeDude
Nathan, what do you think of the European initiative to create a European crime record, so that when serious sex offenders move to another country the police can have access to this information ?

Not saying I'm pro all European laws, but don't you think some initiatives may be worth it, and can not be done on a national level ?

Anything that can be done to protect the public in whatever country can only be a good thing. Any legislation that protects criminals can only be a bad thing. Unfortunately 80% of the new European laws go to protect offenders.

I quite regularly hear in custody now, after arresting someone for lets say a serious violent assault such as GBH. I'm going to sue you for keeping me here 1 minute more than is necessary as this is a breach of my human rights. Well what about the human rights of the person you've just put in hospital for the next four weeks?

I am being investigated at the moment for spraying someone with CS spray after he had kicked me in the head 10 times! Why, becasue I breached his human rights. I kid you not, he claims it was inhumane treatment!

There are over 250 agencies to help the criminals but still only half a dozen to help the victims of crime.

Originally Posted by ajm
Nathan, I do appreciate the legal restrictions on the police in this instance, its just that I find it hard to believe that they can do nothing.

Instead of getting up and announcing they are "waiting for him to kill someone" why not be proactive and send out officers to brief vulnerable people and communities and show more presence in the area. If they havn't got the man power to do this then pull the officers off speed traps and send them instead. This is more important than speeding and that is the message he should be giving the public!!!
Without living and working up there it is difficult to know what they are going to do. I find it at least encouraging that he has gone to the press with this information. At least it's a step in the right direction. They do say they will monitor him closely but I don't know what steps they will take.

The problem is where is he going to go when released? He doesn't have to give and address and it's not until about 14 days after release he has to register at his local police station as a sex offender! Wonderful law that!

The fact is this country is still FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR too soft on the crims

Did you see Road Wars last night on Sky One? Similar offences in the US were landing people in Jail for 10-12 years longer!

Rehabillitation in the community? B0llocks, lock em up.

What's the bigger deterent after a caution for an offence?

Another caution or 5 years inside?

Nathan..
Old 21 July 2004, 12:30 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Use your vote. The Politically Correct 'reformers' *must* be removed from office before it's too late.

There is a pefect example on another nearby thread of how these types muddy the waters and stiffle everything with their endless fretting about what's right/wrong, normal/not normal. Jeez, no wonder everything is in such a mess.

UB

Last edited by unclebuck; 21 July 2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 21 July 2004, 12:34 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Lets all vote for a party that will overhaul the legal system!!!!!!

errrm er, errrm.... BNP anyone
Old 21 July 2004, 12:38 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I watched a television programme a little while ago re: the sex offenders squad in the police.

it was an in depth, fly-on-the-wall docudrama about a police division charged with monitoring sexual offenders.

one of the offenders they released was in the next town to ours, they showed a clear shot of the alleyway he preys in, admitting freely they wish he was never let out.
The thing is this, mrs Peanuts and myself will hopefully be trying for a family towards the end of the year and this brings home the perils facing women and (in particular to this case) girls. (of course other cases are boys).
without quoting the law at me, can anyone think of a good reason why a *group of civil minded people* dont go and fetch this chap and help his rehabilitation?
Old 21 July 2004, 06:06 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

When I saw this on the local news last night, I couldn't believe what I was hearing !! I was fuming !!

It makes me worry about going out, on my own, or with my kids

I don't care where he's being released,as it's not a case of 'not in my back yard' I care that he's being released at all !!

I understood from what was said on the news, that someone has to die, for him to be put away sad that it has to come to that before anything can be done

I agree with Chip, he needs to be kept locked up, don't give him the chance to re-offend or kill !