Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

1st time karting tomorrow:) any tips on how not to die?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2004, 09:05 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time karting tomorrow:) any tips on how not to die?

strangely nervous TBH, sort of exicted nervous though.

never even been in a kart before and i'm jumping into a twin engined 70mph jobbie. will probably **** down tomorrow which will turn my experience into a tip-toeing event, but in the unlikely event of a dry day how do i avoid the tyre wall/grass/spectators etc?

got 2x 1/2 hour practice sessions so hopefully the 2nd session should result in something half decent
Old 23 August 2004, 09:08 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yeah, drive like you intend to win!!

I always brake and accelerate round corners so it drifts round them, although they dont like you doing this

I won my last go, at scarborough. 1.5sec a lap quicker than wveryone else!

Your gonna have a great time!
Old 23 August 2004, 09:15 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Yeah, drive like you intend to win!!

I always brake and accelerate round corners so it drifts round them, although they dont like you doing this

I won my last go, at scarborough. 1.5sec a lap quicker than wveryone else!

Your gonna have a great time!
yeah, i'll probably do a kamikazee(?) run and wipe everyone out. me and a mate are racing together so hopefully we'll be about the same pace and have a good tussle (christ that sounds gay), if not another victim will be in my sights. maybe a little ten year old or a granny
Old 23 August 2004, 09:17 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Lol, im more competitive at this than on the dragstrip imo!!!!

I have 2 winners trophys so far hehehe
Old 23 August 2004, 09:24 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
That's the slowest way around the corner unless you have a gixxerkart

I always end up doing it after a while, nothing like a good oversteer in perfect blanced vehical, I love the way you can understeer in, let off and back on and then be gliding out the apex with smooth oversteer! . Not had a chance to drive powerful ones yet, the nearest place to me is Sandown near Esher. Not a bad little track quite a fast long bend you can actually get one long proggressive powerslide through at full speed (at least 45mph - feels fast - makes you smile), and then let off at the end to go hard into a hairpin right tyres squealing. But they only have the standard karts, apparently 60mph top speed, they're quick once they get going, but if you don't keep up the power through the bends they loose lift and stard labouring. Wet is fun, but they dont' really have the power to get yourself out of a mess if you get line wrong

Plus I swear (everyone says this) if you get a Kart thats had a good few crashes and hasn't been serviced in a while, they can be much slower than the rest. Always sounds like your spitting your dummy out and blaming paint brushes and all. But when people start catching you up and overtaking on the straight you do start to wonder!

I wouldn't be nervous, dont' pressure yourself to go fast, just break early (in a straight line if poss), turn in steady and leave powering out till apex, keep it clean and then start building the speed with your confidence. You've got some warm ups you'll soon settle in. After 15 mins I bet you'll be wishing you had MORE power! But as they say slow and steady wins the race, more risks more likely you'll be off, sometimes I find it's better to sit on someones tail and match their speed but not try and take them. It niggles them you're close and they'll try and put space between you and most likely make a mistake!

I want a Gixxerkart

Which track are you going to?
Old 23 August 2004, 09:25 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Being in Kent what track are you going to?

Good tip don't eat or drink too much before hand Motion sickness is common in a kart
Old 23 August 2004, 09:30 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

buckmore park, kent. 1200m track (i guess that's good?)

think the idea of tailing someone sounds like a good one, unless it's my mum driving!

might pop some motion sickness pills then! good thinking mate, don't want to hand the helmet back with chunder in it
Old 23 August 2004, 09:36 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Good track

Johnny Herbet helped design the the course IIRC
Old 23 August 2004, 09:44 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Good track

johnny herbert? PAH!! i'll show him racing! or should that be crashing? saying that, he's got that down to a fine art aswell

bugger, gonna die in flames
Old 23 August 2004, 09:46 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Drove past Buckmore today and saw people slipping and sliding all over the place in the rain! The track is great and it looked like fantastic fun

The first time I went I couldn't believe how heavy and direct the steering was. I guarantee you'll love it. Have a great time
Old 23 August 2004, 10:15 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

just hang on n go for it,your arms will ache the next day. mine always do
Old 23 August 2004, 10:42 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Use the guy in front for your braking. You'll make the corner, he won't
Old 23 August 2004, 10:49 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Good track

IIRC he just used to race there. Dont think he designed it.

Tips - start of slow, Dont try and go as fast as you can straight away. Amazed at how many people go of on the first lap. Tyres will be cold. You also dont know the track.

Look further in front of you, If you are about to overtake into a corner, try and make sure theres no obstacle as you exit the corner ie, a slower kart, someone has spun, etc.

You want a nice balance, no screeching. When the kart is screeching your losing speed and time.

Try and look at the camber of the track. I Used to go to Daytona in Park Royal, there used to be this hairpin that people would slow right down to get round. Took it wide once and found the camber of the track was banked! in the end I was going round the corner with out braking! Saved me a lot of time.

Most of all, have fun!! Its great.
Old 23 August 2004, 10:52 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

buckmore intro here

they used to have a movie of someone going aound the actual track. but i cant find it on the website.

Last edited by Recaro; 23 August 2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 23 August 2004, 10:57 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Use the guy in front for your braking. You'll make the corner, he won't

This works. Once you get into the lead hold a really defensive line and brake early, so that no-one else can do it on you
Old 23 August 2004, 10:57 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

found it click here
Old 23 August 2004, 11:11 PM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

the first and only time i raced a kart in the wet was great fun, i spent about 50% of the lap sideways, as this lot say, take it nice and easy, 1 spin each lap trying too hard loses serious time.

In the wet the only way to get round corners was to brake in a stright line very carefully (remember karts only brake with thier rear wheels) and the play with the throtle around the corner, i you want the kart to be neutral or oversteering to get the best time, but build this up very slowly, if u take ur time to find the grip and avoid the spinners u can clock up a seriously quick race.

Most of all have fun!!
Old 23 August 2004, 11:16 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)

Buckmore park is a great track.

If it is your first time you won't realise it but you can take the first long corner flat out (in the dry!) then brake hard (in a straight line) for the tight right hairpin.

2 corners later and again you can take it flat out to the bottom of the hill, not even lifting off for the off camber left.

They have amazing grip in the dry and are great fun. Never brake with your wheels turned or you will spin.

Wish I was going
Old 23 August 2004, 11:26 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pro-karts are low on power (compared to what the tyres can take) so the key is being smooth. A good technique with those karts is to brake in a straight line, then trail brake ever so slightly into the corner then coast most of the way in, applying the throttle steadily at the apex. If you start getting the back out it's very slow as they don't have the power to just mash round the corners.

Cold tyres can catch anyone out, and feel for the brake when first out, remember it's only on the back so it will lose the back if you are too keen with it.

Be smooth.

Paul
Old 23 August 2004, 11:31 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and if it rains, get on the outside where the rubber isn't, and you will need to slow down before the corner, then just tickle the throttle to get the back moving and you will be able to steer into the corner much more positively, this is down to not having a rear diff.

Paul
Old 24 August 2004, 01:00 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Buckmore is the one I have been wanting to go to for a while, it's not so bad for me to get too, and I heard good things. The only good thing about my local is mostly muppets go, so there isn't much competition!

Is that the ones with hills (and cross overs / underpasses).

We should do a scoobynet group buy and rent the whole place for the day gets some gear box karts
Old 24 August 2004, 01:12 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Aye meant to mention, brakes on back wheels, if you haven't breaked before turn in, it will almost defo be instant spin, if wet without doubt. And as everyone said be gentle with controlls (apart from steering), feedpower on, rather than slamming foot down, on the flip side of that, lifting your foot right off can be like puttin the brake off. THe more gradual you are the less room for error.

One other thing, somestimes catches me out (even on computer games), it's easy to start following the line of the person in front. Sounds silly, but sometimes you dont' even realise you're doing it. But if you do this you're not watching the road, and if they make a mistake you will too

Have a good time, report back how you get on, I wanna visit that track soon!
Old 24 August 2004, 01:17 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If you are of the skinny persuasion, you may end up bumping off each side of the seat as you corner. If your belt or ribbing in the overalls also get in the way it can be nasty (read skinless ). Don't be shy to ask for padding. Usually a couple of sq feet of 4" foam to wedge yourself in with.

J.
Old 24 August 2004, 08:07 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Red face

Being in Kent what track are you going to?

Good tip don't eat or drink too much before hand Motion sickness is common in a kart

Oh Dear, thats never a good thing for me!
Old 24 August 2004, 08:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Your arms will be knackered the next day
Old 24 August 2004, 09:03 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Keep it clean tidy, smooth lines etc.
Usually end up with a huge bruise on your arm/ kidneys etc
Old 24 August 2004, 09:06 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Rye House is fun in the wet. I'm not saying there's a problem with standing water but last time I was there, there were ducks swimming down the main straight.